Pelikan 400Nn (Mertz And Krell) Piston

alfredop

Recently I bought a black striped Pelikan 400NN whose piston when contracted was closer to the section with respect to another 400NN in my possession. As a consequence, to optimize the ink capacity I tried to dissasemble the piston as usual (one snap from the front after having removed the nib). I tried several time but without success, fortunately I did not damage the pen, then I started to study the pen and note other differences: the piston knob, the length of the barrel, etc.

In the end I discovered that my pen was a 400NN by Mertz and Krell (thank to the pelican-collectible web site) and that the piston is not friction fit but screwed, so as for now I stopped to try to disassemble it, but it remains the fact that the ink capacity seems to be less than the one of the original 400NN, is this normal? or it is still needed to correct this problem?

Alfredo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dnic

• mitto

• alfredop

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to the same website the M&K version ink capacity is substantially less than the original Pelikan version. I only have the Pelikan version so cannot personally advise, but willing to believe the website numbers.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I do believe that the Merz & Krell version has a lesser ink capacity than the original 400NN based on my experience but can't independently verify Dominic's quoted volumes.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I recently got a 400 and the piston knob would go down very little and, hence, the ink capacity was about half of another 400 of mine. I carefully disassembled the piston and adjusted it and now the piston goes down double of what it used to.

I dont know anything about the Merz $ Krell version, though. Did this version also come in the 400 model?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Dnic, a very good explanation of M&K. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you to all, I was not noting the ink capacity reported for each model on pelikan-collectibles: a capacity less than half with respect to the original model is in line with what I can observe on my M&K 400NN. So as I do not need to disassemble it.

By the way are the M&K 400NN more rare than the Pelikan 400NN?

Ciao

Alfredo

Edited by alfredop

Can one put the piston assembly from the original 400NN on the M&K version to increase the ink capacity of the pen?

Edited to add:

I assume putting the piston assembly from the original 400NN would not be possible as it is friction fit while that of the M&K is a threaded one. Yet, I wonder if there could be a way to have the 400NN pison installed in the M&K 400NN?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The attached photo should clearly show the difference in ink capacity due to the different piston mechanism.

Alfredo

post-4455-0-64112600-1484471888_thumb.jpg

That means the pen size itself of the M&K 400NN is smaller than the regular 400NN.

Thank you, Alfredo, for posting the comparison picture.

Khan M. Ilyas

I noticed this same thing on my 120 Merz & Krell a while back. The first one I had I didn't noticed it as much as it had a EF nib. This one is a M. And it is a gusher.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain