A Fountain Pen With Flex?

Kolagnostos

Hello. I'd really like some recommendations for my next FP purchase. I have two very inexpensive italic nib FP. I'd like my next to not be italic; between $40-$100; and have amazing flex in the tins. Does such a pen exist?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• Kolagnostos

• cattar

• Bluey

At that price point? Probably not. Before blowing a wad on a so called flex nib that may not be (or finding out you don't like it) ,spend $20 on a dip pen holder and some flexible nibs. If you decide you want to pursue flex fountain pens later you can.

(There was a similar thread yesterday either here or another forum I frequent.)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Agree with runnin_ute.

Go to an art store & get a dip pen holder & a few flex nibs. If you like writing or drawing with them at home and want to take them out, then spend the $$$ on a pen with a real flex nib.

Agree. I think the speedball dip pens are a great intro. Look for the speedball # 101 flex nib. Don't forget to clean off the protective oil the nibs come dipped in from the factory or you will never get the ink to flow to the paper. I learned the hard way.

Strongly agree with the dip pen route, otherwise the flex fountain pen could be an expensive mistake. A dip pen nib such as the speedball/hunt 101 or 22B, a Nekko G or Zebra G will cost around $1-3, and a cheap plastic oblique pen holder around $4-5.

As a more hygienic alternative to licking the nib, I suggest using toothpaste with an old toothbrush instead.

Edited by Bluey

NO.

Realisticly, you are looking at $100+ (likely more, much more) for a restored vintage flex nib fountain pen.

And the more the flex, the more the $$$.

It sounds like you have never used a flex nib fountain pen. I agree with the comment to try a dip pen first. It is a LOT cheaper. And your mistakes will also be cheaper.

WARNING. If you over flex the nib on a flex nib fountain pen, you damaged it, and may have DESTROYED it. And replacing that damaged/destroyed nib will be difficult and expensive $$$.

The dip pen route is what I went with, and never looked back. When I want to do flex writing, I pull out my dip pens.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Almost all want to jump into the deep end of the flex pool with out even wearing their waterwings.

Many soon discover Spenserian requires work, practice....and learning to draw an alphabet.

Some retreat back to nails so fast they never even use a 'true' regular flex nib again, much less semi-flex.............which is NOT a 'Flex' pen.

Superflex is the proper term.

I worked my way up the flex ladder...true regular flex, semi-flex, with three months of the Pelikan 140 OB getting my Ham Fistedness down to slightly ham fisted, so I was able to start using a maxi-semi-flex OF 400nn. In each case I had pressed the nib too much often being near max of a 3X tine spread more often than necessary.

After more than 6 months my Hand had gotten light enough I was able to move up to the first stage of Superflex....Easy Full Flex....and not spring nibs.

I had learned to judge how much tine spread was in the nib. My 100n Pelikan is an Easy Full Flex Superflex. It maxes at 5 X, and I try not to take it out more than 4 X.

I had Dugussa nibbed pens that I can take out to 5X....in they will go 6X. I strive to never really Max out a nib after discovering it's limit.

Those sprung nibs you see on Ebay.....may not have been sprung before someone makes them do Olympic splits.

Superflex nibs have a tine spread of 4X, 5-6X is sort of common and 7X is rare.

If you detour into stiff italic calligraphy first you can learn much about drawing letters that was helpful to me when I do try fancy writing with a superflex nib.

Dip pens can be smoothed or 'resharpened' on a stone and micro-mesh.

If you take beeswax from a beeswax candle you can make a slit into rough combs feed for your dip pens so you don't have to dip quite as much.

For a total of $20-25, you can get a pen holder....in nibs were once called pens, some Higgans or Windsor&Newton ink (better inks for dip pens....not for fountain pens), and some nibs to see if you even like trying to draw in Copperplate or Spenserian. It will take you quite a while to say you can write in it.......and you must practice.....which I don't. :(

Pen holders make right handers as good as left handers who have an advantage in dip pens. They can use a straight holder as show in a picture above, where we right handers need the one that looks funny and has the angled nib.

There too is a flex ladder also in superflex dip pens...... this G nib....that I don't have is at the stiffer end......which is good. Some Brouse nibs are stiff and or ornamental, some in the middle and some have good flex. Soennecken makes a dip pen nib, that is only medium in superflex of dip pens.....much more than a Soennecken Wet Noodle I have. Then there are the Hunt 99-100-101 that make any wet noodle fountain pen look uncooked.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The Desiderata pen is in your price range and uses disposable Zebra G nibs. Might be worth a look if, like me, you find that the constant act of dipping breaks the concentration and flow. I am learning patience through the dip pens though and it does force you in a strange way, to pay attention to spacing - which is where my area of difficulty lies.

If you are looking for line variation in a fountain pen, use a stub nib. You'll get the advantages of a modern fountain pen without the risks of a vintage flex.

If you want flex, then start with a dip pen.

Buzz

Thank you so much for the feedback, sooo much appreciated. I'm a dip pen user. Over 10 holders Oblique/Straight. (currently making my own holder too) Too many nibs to count. Brause EF66, Nikko G, Blue Pumpkin, Principal, and countless others. Hunt, Leonardt, etc.

Which is why moving into fountain pens wasn't too strange for me. After buying/using two inexpensive italic nib FP, I started to want a round with a little of the flex my ink dippers offer in a FP for my letter writing.

I'm currently at the PhillyPenShow and have learned a bit, together with my own googling last night. It's too soon for me to go vintage. The Pilot Custum 912 has caught my eye here but I've decided to stick to my budget.

I'm taking home something far different with less flex but I'm happy to move forward with it. Already inked it. :)

Thanks all. When I get home I will retread all the wonderful advice. Back to the show I go!

You're very wise! And quite right for holding off from the vintage, for the time being.

You may want to try a soft nib. While it doesn't provide flex to anywhere near the same scale as say the Brause 361(wonderful nib!) or other dip pens it does give a soft flex feeling when you're writing. I think you may like it. For that I would recommend the Pilot Custom 74 in SF or SM which you can buy on Amazon(ensure you buy it from a Japanese seller) for around $70. It's very similar to the Pilot Custom 912 but less expensive, slightly different shape, and with a smaller nib.

Edited by Bluey

You're very wise! And quite right for holding off from the vintage, for the time being.

You may want to try a soft nib. While it doesn't provide flex to anywhere near the same scale as say the Brause 361(wonderful nib!) or other dip pens it does give a soft flex feeling when you're writing. I think you may like it. For that I would recommend the Pilot Custom 74 in SF or SM which you can buy on Amazon(ensure you buy it from a Japanese seller) for around $70. It's very similar to the Pilot Custom 912 but less expensive, slightly different shape, and with a smaller nib.

+1. The custom 74 soft nibs are nice, especially for the price. If you have a good feel for a flex nib, you should be able to make good use of the soft 74 nib to squeeze out some line variation. And as a regular writer, very smooth.

Congrats on the new purchase, and attending a pen show is the best way to find information and ideas about an amazing hobby.

Buzz

Order up a soft fine or soft medium Pilot Custom 74 from a vendor like Rakutan..I got mine for $88 including delivery...it's got the flex you seek, and you can't believe how smooth a writer. That might be the item you seek. FYI, the Custom 74 is available in the states but with no soft option, only in clear colors, and for $160USD.

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

Soft :doh: ....why not go real and get a Geha 790 for @ E50 or less, in semi-flex....Pelikan 140 for '80-100E or a 400 NN now so expensive at E120...a year ago was 100....can still be found for that on German Ebay.

Soft is so vague....I'm not sure if the posters are not talking about 'true' regular flex or not.....many may becoming from nail and semi-nail and not know semi-vintage or vintage once the regular issue....'true' regular flex.

I do know from my reading that 'soft' in Japanese is no where near semi-flex....it's soft.....not 3X flexible with spring.

Please read my signature.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you for the leads. Looking at a Pilot Custom 74 review, for me, I feel it would do ok as I'm quite accustomed to Flex. I'm not a fan of the cigar shape however for $160. I was going to ask here about Rakutan retailer (pen there for under $80), but have made other online inquiries. One here and here, and there are others. I am glad for anyone who has not experienced problems with their purchase from Rakutan but I think I'll skip the risk. I'm sure something will come across my path I really like in esthetic, performance, and price.

One of my first purchases was a hideously-expensive Doric with a heroically flexible 18k needlepoint nib. It's the kind of thing that one could destroy in moments, but years of doing animation left me with a very light touch. Besides which I'm left-handed so I can't really use a nib to its full potential. So yes, flex.

The more the merrier.