Pilot Quatro

NeoTiger

First Impressions

This is a pen from Pilot, and has a distinctive squared profile (similar to the Visconti "squaring the circle" theme, but on a much slimmer pen). However, a key difference is that the grip section on this pen is square as well (we'll get to this later, it's not a good thing). It is not a current production pen, and the Pilot Japan website does not have it. My example has the date code H886 (so it's Aug 1986 or Jun 1988?).

Appearance

Like I said before, this is a uniquely shaped slim squared pen. I got my example in gunmetal grey, but a wide variety of finishes was offered from the same seller on eBay (including white, black, red, grey with gold edges). The quality of the finish is high, as usual from Pilot, although the section is finished in a cheaper looking plastic. The entire pen is very sleek, with Quatro written in script on the clip.

http://neotiger.orcon.net.nz/fountain/PilotQuatro.jpg

Design

The pen has a metallic gunmetal finish, and the body material appears to be made from metal, probably steel. The balance of the pen is good, and it is of moderate weight for this size pen. 13.2cm long.

The main problem with the pen is the grip section is the same squared profile (with some grip lines). This is very difficult to hold properly with the nib straight, I found that my natural grip on this pen had the nib rotated either direction by 45 degrees. This is because the nib is aligned straight with the square grip, and it is hard to hold a square by its edges as opposed to its faces. The Visconti range of squared pens still have a round section, so this is not a problem for them.

http://neotiger.orcon.net.nz/fountain/PilotQuatro2.jpg

Nib Design/Performance

The nib looks quite interesting, it is quite a long slender shape. My particular pen has a Fine nib, with unplated steel nib. I see that some other examples of this pen may have a black steel nib, or a gold plated nib (also saw an example with 14k gold nib). The nib is totally stiff (as I expected from the nib shape), but as I expected from Pilot, extremely smooth. Fine nib is finer than Western nibs.

Filling System

Normal cartridge converter filling system, with typical Pilot cartridge shape.

Cost/Value

I paid $27 plus shipping for this pen, from eBay seller sakura_zeppelin. sakura_zeppelin's descriptions are a bit inaccurate (says "rare" on almost every common pen they have), but as long as you know what you're dealing with, they seem to be alright.

Overall

This would have been an excellent affordable pen, but the grip just does not work.

Edited by MYU

• 8 years later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• afruba

• NeoTiger

• nam

• Algester

I bought the one with 14K fine nib when it was on sale at my local stationary shop.

I do not have a problem with the square section (I suppose my grip is different from yours)

This Japanese F is very fine indeed, finer than my Pelikan 400 XF.

This 14K nib is stiff like steel, very smooth and excellent flow.

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a 1980's Pilot Quatro. Can anyone tell me what type of converter can be used with this pen [and who might carry it]? Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Mine came with a Pilot squeeze converter, but a CON-40 fits too.

I do not have a CON-70, so I cannot test it, but I assume it will fit.

It has to be Pilot, other brands don't fit.

I bought some Pilot converters at Goulet Pens.