• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KingRoach

• cattar

• mitto

• EBUCKTHORN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good that the Diamine turquoise wirks. You do want an easy flowing ink.

Any pen can be particular about the flow characteristics of inks. Useful to find what works for your pens.

Also, I've had an ink mix 'gel' in the pen. Took some cleaning.

Suggest make a new mix in a vial & let it sit for 24 hours to see if it's ink. Then try in a pen.

Update

Sorry not posted in a couple days but the pen has been recycling all this time: after the nib cleaning fluid bath, and dropping enough in the back of the section holding it upright for a night still showing that nothing is going in, I moved back to ink.

Keeping the pen in upright position for a long time, nib downwards, the nib received some ink, enough to write a couple lines, then dries out. The greenish tone of the black coming out implies it is STILL internal ink, not the Onyx Black (red base) that I now have in the cartridge.

Will keep on doing it. The likelihood is that something is gelled up and completely clogging the ink pathway. The other possibility, that the fibre feed is "broken", I think is unlikely because 1. the fiber is untouchable for God's sake, and 2. if it's simply broken it would still soak the innards and send the ink to the rest of the wick anyway.

I'm starting to notice considerable differnece in the small, intermittent flows. They are coming out darker and wetter every time. I'll just keep going.

This pen.

Will.

Work.

Update: another win! celebrate?

just a quick photo update before i write down any observations i have.

is there any culture of shame if my handwriting isn't so good? I will post it anyway i love writing with fountain pens who cares?

post-133987-0-42151900-1485372944_thumb.jpg

I pulled out the Skrip cartridge (Diamine Onyx Black filled) to see how long it will go, like how much ink it has in the feed. It went over 3, nearly 4 full A4 pages, then started to skip a little. I then washed it clean and dried it up. Want to punch in a sealed cartridge (international) to see how much ink it's gonna soak in before it starts writing.

I pulled out the Skrip cartridge (Diamine Onyx Black filled) to see how long it will go, like how much ink it has in the feed. It went over 3, nearly 4 full A4 pages, then started to skip a little. I then washed it clean and dried it up. Want to punch in a sealed cartridge (international) to see how much ink it's gonna soak in before it starts writing.

An International Standard cart in a Sheaffer pen?

Khan M. Ilyas

Yes, mitto. An international cartridge in a Sheaffer school pen. It fits, and works (and looks kinda funny).

With this particular pen, due to all the difficulties I've been having with it and all the observations I've had on it, like some sort of a scientific experiement, I'm a bit worried that the sealing bead, would prevent ink from going into the pen if held upright with the tip downwards. But we'll see, I already have the ink at the tip again, just seems a bit washed, maybe the pen still had some water inside.

Yes, mitto. An international cartridge in a Sheaffer school pen. It fits, and works (and looks kinda funny).

With this particular pen, due to all the difficulties I've been having with it and all the observations I've had on it, like some sort of a scientific experiement, I'm a bit worried that the sealing bead, would prevent ink from going into the pen if held upright with the tip downwards. But we'll see, I already have the ink at the tip again, just seems a bit washed, maybe the pen still had some water inside.

I am not sure. The size of the nipple on the Sheaffer section is different for the International cart to fit. Though the intarnational cart may fit the sleave in the section for the cart/converter to go into.

Khan M. Ilyas

Tried and tested. If you are unsure, try piercing the cartridge with your sheaffer, not with another pen, first. This will help it create a good fit to the nipple.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again everyone.

I'm still struggling to understand what exactly is wrong. Once a certain ink flows to the nib, it works. If I flush it and try to get a different ink to work, it takes forever.

The characteristic phenomena of this pen is that the nib received a well fed supplly of... guess what... diluted ink, even though it was rather dry. I tried Onyx Black from Diamine, which only gave a faint purple, and I tried blue ink which again gave VERY faint blue. The surprising thing is that it is not faint because of starvation, it is faint because it is faint. And it stays faint foever, I keep writing and writing and writing and it never changes.

The ink that worked in the picture above in my last posts was a mix of inks with remnants of nib cleaning fluid. I used about 0.5ml of that in the pen, a kind of internal flushing, and now Im back t to regular inks: an international cartridge from Lidl store. Same old story.

Now Ive injected a couple drops under the nib to see if I can start capillary action. Its working but I am yet to tell if im only using the injected drops or actually getting ink from the cartridge.

One think I thought the international cartridge might be doing is maybe the sealing bearing might be stopping the ink (because I'm keeping the pen upright, nib down). So I syringed the ink to a Skrip cartridge, the one that worked, and still no use.

One thing worth mentioning: I tried dropping some ink into the section without a cartridge, kind of testing for the possiblility of eyedroppering. The ink flew and dropped form the front so quick I could not believe it.

I think it might need disassembly for proper cleaning after all. The last Parker I have serviced had ink gummed up on the feed. I wonder if this has happened inside the wick. But I still have no idea how to disassemble it.

Look at the picture below:

fpn_1487763114__img_20170222_111240.jpg

Does that get turned for disassembly? Anybody knows anything about this?

read above, I did/do.

You used an old empty Sheaffer cart by refilling it. Now try either a vintage Sheaffer squeeze converter or modern Sheaffer piston converter. Or simply a new unused Sheaffer cart. That way you would know if the problem is with the pen or with the cart you are using.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have one coming my way in the mail now in another pen and have been waiting for it to try to basically "prime" the feed with ink.

Though I do not see that as a solution, as it should work without such measures. I am more interested in restoring this to "like-new" performance, whatever that was, and for that I need to disassemble. If it requires priming with pressure, then something is wrong with the pen section. If it just works, which I doubt but hope I'm wrong, then it is the cartridge.

Does anybody know how to disassemble? Please see the last photo of and tell me if it rings any bells as that seems to be the only way in.

was it in this thread that international cartridges in sheaffer pens were discussed?

Here is a photo of an international cartridge feeding a Sheaffer school. The nipple is the same size as the hooded pen in this thread. I have also put this cartridge in the hoodie but I am still suspecting whether the ball bearing is blocking the ink in this one. It is NOT blocking any ink in the School pen, but since the feed is different (plastic vs wick) I`m leaving all possibilities open.

fpn_1488049634__20170123-20170123_200441

• 6 months later...

was it in this thread that international cartridges in sheaffer pens were discussed?

Here is a photo of an international cartridge feeding a Sheaffer school. The nipple is the same size as the hooded pen in this thread. I have also put this cartridge in the hoodie but I am still suspecting whether the ball bearing is blocking the ink in this one. It is NOT blocking any ink in the School pen, but since the feed is different (plastic vs wick) I`m leaving all possibilities open.

fpn_1488049634__20170123-20170123_200441

Hi KingRoach

I have just bought the same model pen from Ebay and this posting has been very useful in determining how to set about cleaning and servicing it. I currently have it soaking in a test tube of water (dark blue water now) I'll let you know how I get on.

One thing I'm still not sure of is, did you ever get to the bottom of which model it is. I always like to have as much info as I can so I can catalogue my pens.

Thanks for the post and in anticipation of any other info.

A bit of an update to my earlier post.

I soaked the pen for a couple of hours then flushed it thoroughly, using a syringe connected by a piece of silicon tube. This lets me regulate how much pressure I exert. After the fourth flush the water was emerging clear so I dried and reassembled the pen. I later confirmed it was clear of ink by scribbling on a piece of paper with the water left in the feed and there was no trace of ink. I guess I must have got a little used specimen of this pen, the seller said it was his own pen that had given him many years of good service. I think I will take that provenance with a small pinch of salt, most of these pens are most likely from house clearances.

The cartridge, a standard Skrip one, also cleaned out nicely ready for a new charge of ink. I have yet to test it with ink and will probably wait a couple of days to let the feed dry out a bit.

I have attached a couple of photos, not brilliant I’m afraid, I’ve still to polish my close up photo skills.

First the pen complete

fpn_1504198279__uk_02_2.jpg

Next with the pen open

fpn_1504196981__uk_open.jpg

The Cartridge

fpn_1504197013__uk_cart.jpg

The Nib from above

fpn_1504197068__uk_nib_top_2.jpg

And from below

fpn_1504197547__uk_nib_bottom.jpg

Actually, they came out better than expected but still room for improvement.

Hope you like.

Edited by Karmabim