Correct Representation Of Numbers And Letters For Tattoo?

I do hope I'm posting in the right section. If not, I do apologise.

I'm planning a tattoo with the gear scale from a motorcycle, "1 N 2 3 4 5 6", and need some help on the font; particularly knowledge on calligraphy and which lines should be thick; which ones thin.

I want it made in old school tattoo lettering, in the style of this:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh197/Ludegirl/d43f499d15c83bdf0432fc59512e2d83.jpg

However, I think the lettering looks off. For instance, I think the N is wrong. I'm fairly sure that the middle, diagonal line should be the one that's thick, not the first one.

I had a colleague once who knew about calligraphy, and always told me off for doing the letters wrong. :) I believe his explanation was that the downward strokes are the ones that are supposed to be thick, which also explains why the middle line of the N should be thick. Unfortunately, I'm not in touch with him anymore, and can't ask.

So, my question is: How should "1 N 2 3 4 5 6" look in order to be correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smk

• Kolagnostos

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think one can generalize something as broadly as categorizing all down-strokes to be thick. Also, Calligraphy and Lettering are related but not the same. Typography is a whole other business with many considerations in addition to aesthetics.

The lettering example above is drawn and (hopefully) achieves the look Mr. Nortnik was shooting for. This seems to me to be an adaptation of Art Deco fonts. A google or pinterest search for art deco lettering will turn up many interesting results.

However, I would strongly recommend you look for a Calligrapher/Lettering Artist to design your tattoo for you - after all it is going to be permanent. They will be able to recommend different options based on your requirements and can modify the design a bit to suit your needs e.g. arrange the scale in an arc to suggest the swing of the shifter.

I hope this helps a bit.

- Salman

Absolutely, in the world of Typography, Lettering and Calligraphy don't hold identical rules. Lettering in fact can be in a world all its own if you look at the thousands of fonts available that are not calligraphy. (Been working with fonts for over 20 yrs) I can understand your reasoning and thoughts however. I can see how the N may seem off.

But if the case of the down stroke was so for this font, then that means the M would be off and that opens a can of worms because more letters would then follow. You're obviously doing your homework and I'm sure you'll choose what's right for you. —I would like to add, that a tattoo is really all your own. (I have a few myself) So wonderful that you want it as correct as possible, but remember, it's yours. If there are any rules, you can break um. :) Good luck!

smh and Kolagnostos - thank you for your input, it’s very valuable. I’m happy to read that there are no hard and fast rules as such, and that in the end it’s up to preference. In the meantime I’ve learned that an acquaintance of me is very knowledgable about fonts and typesetting, so I’ll ask him for advice.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to the thread, it’s been very helpful. :)