Semi-Inexpensive Flex Nib

bartonjd

I am new to the site and was not sure if this is the correct place to post this so If I am incorrect I apologize!

I have been searching for a decent flexible nibbed pen on ebay and elsewhere (local antique shops and thrift stores) but I haven't found anything. Can anyone recommend one that might be found in 50-60 $USD range? Is this a reasonable price to expect to pay or must I be resigned to saving pennies to pay $100+?

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this!

Josh

A little about me:

A friend gave me a ZenZoi brand fountain pen (very stiff nib) for Christmas and I have since fallen in love with fountain pens and calligraphy.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogpoet

• ac12

• bartonjd

• matteob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want flex, go to an art store & get a dip pen holder & nibs. Less then $20.

Edited by cattar

Cattar is right. That's the fastest and cheapest way to try out a flex nib, and it's a good idea to give one a go first before you go looking to spend a lot of money on a vintage wet noodle. Flex nibs don't suit everybody.

You do have to learn to 'Draw' the alphabet be it Spenserian or if you go off to stiff italic calligraphy.

I found italic calligraphy helped me draw letters better when I did fiddle around with flexible nibs, in I had to learn how to draw....push, pull and where to twist the nib to make letters, that I was able to take over to flexible nibs.

Those who really write in Spenserian or Copperplate are more interested in fast return to a narrow line than how wide they can make the nib spread it's tines.

There is a sub section on that.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My limited experience has been that you will have to pay over $100 for flex, and maybe closer to $200+

Less than $100, might get you an unrestored pen, which will then cost you an additional $30+ to restore, + shipping to/from the pen tech. So buying an unrestored pen off eBay isn't going to save you $. Besides many eBay sellers overstated how flexible the nib is.

Since this is your first exposure to flex writing, I STRONGLY advise you to go with a dip pen, as others have advised.

Number 1, it is MUCH cheaper than a flex fountain pen. You can get started for about $12, or less.

Number 2, if you damage the nib from over flexing, a dip pen nib is about $2. Much less than the $100+ cost of a flex fountain pen nib + cost to install it (shipping to/from the tech + installation).

As others have mentioned, dip pen might be the way for you to go right now.

I went the dip pen route, and now, if I want to write flex, I pull out the dip pens. I get much better flex writing than I can with ANY of my flex fountain pens.

My favorite tool is an oblique dip pen holder, which makes flex writing soo much easier than a straight holder or fountain pen. Besides, there is no such animal as an oblique fountain pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have worked with a Noodlers Ahab and like the flexing that it does which isn't much unfortunately. I guess I will work on my handwriting some more and come back for suggestions at that point... I do have to say though, I feel like my pen skips and stops flowing more than a vintage nib would... But I may not be experienced enough.

Dip pen and a few nibs is definitely the way to go. These days I think you will find it hard to get any decent flex pen for under €300. I wouldn't touch eBay with a barge pole as so many vintage pens are now sold as 'flexible' and are in fact firm nibs never designed to be flexed.they will post pictures of samples of the flexibility and send you a sprung or cracked nib and make all manner of accusation when you return it. Sadly, there is just too much money to be made in what everyone wants but for some reason won't pay €20 to do with a dip nib. Don't get me wrong, a nice flexible nib on a pen is a joy, but I could honestly only recommend two eBay sellers and neither have sold a flexible nibbed pen for any less than $400 in the last three years. EBay is a minefield at the moment which in all likelihood will leave you frustrated, feeling conned and out of pocket. Get a dip pen, try it out and then start saving.

A bit higher than your budget: http://www.desideratapens.com/daedalus/

And yes, it takes dip nibs. But it offers flex with convenience of fountain pen. What more could you ask?

The G nibs are chrome plated dip pen nibs, not stainless steel. The nib has to be replaced periodically, as the G nib WILL corrode when left in continuous contact with ink. The positive is, the G nibs are less than $2 each, so replacement will be cheap.

www.SFPenShow.com

I have worked with a Noodlers Ahab and like the flexing that it does which isn't much unfortunately. I guess I will work on my handwriting some more and come back for suggestions at that point... I do have to say though, I feel like my pen skips and stops flowing more than a vintage nib would... But I may not be experienced enough.

I think you need more practice.

If you roll the nib off center, the ink flow will slow down or stop. The nib has to be level and centered on the paper to write.

ALL fountain pens are sensitive to rolling off center, some pens are more sensitive to rolling off center than others.

Noodler's pens are hit and miss. In my case it was more miss than hit. It is not the nib, it is the entire pen.

I put a nib similar to the Noodler's nib into a Wearever, and it writes just fine.

www.SFPenShow.com

The G nibs are chrome plated dip pen nibs, not stainless steel. The nib has to be replaced periodically, as the G nib WILL corrode when left in continuous contact with ink. The positive is, the G nibs are less than $2 each, so replacement will be cheap.

Well, you can always try the titanium coating version, about $3-4 each. They will last much longer.

But yeah, it will be corroded and need to be replaced eventually. But is is still cheaper and provide much better flex option than other pen in the same range.

The Ahab is a superflex nib...in it spreads it's tines 5-6 or perhaps even 7 X a light down stroke. But it requires semi-flex pressure to do so and that is a lot of hard work.

If you do or have the 'Ahab Mod' done...look in the pen review sections. It is two half moons either filed with a round Swiss file or a Dremil. That will take the pen into Easy Full Flex....the first stage of superflex.....then comes wet noodle.

Pendelton Brown has or had them for sale....he does something similar to other nibs ...his ...Angle Wings.

My Ahab went from in the storage box to in the pen cup....in Easy Full Flex is a fun flex.

Dip pens are the way to go....you can sharpen/smooth old nibs with stone and micro-mesh.

I have 20 or so different nibs....a Soennecken is ...IMO a medium flex in dip pens....it is much more flexi than my Soennecken fountain pen Wet Noodle. Dip pens like the Hunt 99-100-101 or the fabled Gillette 303/404 (which I don't have) make wet noodles look uncooked.

They flex if there is an earthquake in California.

Dip pens are a cheaper way to see will you take the time to learn and practice. It prevents you from springing the nib of an irreplaceable vintage superflex nib.

I worked my way up the flex ladder so had a good idea of how much flex nibs did or could take. In most can not break their life long training as soon as they could be sat up in front of a TV to be socialized by the commercials of Buy Now.....Instant Gratification; there are a lot of sprung nibs and folks that decided Wet Noodles are not for them....$$$$ later.

Mauricio, sets the superflex nib to the feed....a lot of fiddling work, in it is required to get the most out of a superflex nib. He sells superflex pens. Some are very pretty.

You get a superflex pen that has been tuned to it's full functionality. I have a Waterman 52 from him.

I have a 'system' of 1/2's that explain flex from the old fashioned 'true' regular flex up to Weak Kneed Wet Noodles....more for 'noobles' after superflex....in there is a lot of variation and if one sees enough superflex there is no cut and dried.

Do read Mauricio's com/site.

After you get good enough with dip pens....he has some real pretty superflex pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The Noodlers are notorious for poor quality control, and while there is a chance that you'll get something that behaves as a pen of that price should, you're more likely to end up with something where the not terribly flexible nib is the least of its problems. As the poster above states, you can do some metalwork to the nib to make it a bit more flexible, but that won't be much of a benefit with one of the Noodlers that dries out with its cap on and that leaks ink from everywhere except its nib. The only reason to buy one of those as your first flex is if you want to be put off ever using one again.

The Eastvita X450, a chinese pen, is only $5 on amazon.com.

It is described as a flex nib, but it is really more of a semi-flex. Still for the price it is pretty good. Super smooth nib too.

if your desire is line variation.. perhaps a 'Fude' nib may suit your purpose. I picked up this Sailor pen for $20.

post-130775-0-35021000-1484252201_thumb.jpg

Glare of India makes a flex pen, the Glare 71, with a steel KenWrite flex nib, colorful acrylic bodies, ebay, ~$42. No experience with them myself, just found them through an ebay search

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I would try an Ahab,Konrad or nib creeper from Noodlers. They are cheap enough and mine works fine. Maxinum line width is about 2mm but I have no exoerience of other flex nibs. Or you can buy a Jinhao X450 and modify it with one of those kenwrite flex nibs.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will play with the dip pens as well as look at some of the other options you have provided. Would it be appropriate to ask Noodlers if I can return the pen, it really does not write well and stops more than half the time. Oh and the smell... (ebonite right?)