Best Paper Reams For Everyday Use.

Heine

Hi everyone!

I'm a student who is just approaching the complex FP's world (and I'm liking it so much). My first and only "weapon" is a Lamy Vista with an EF nib and I use a J.Herbin - Perle Noire ink (which I'm gonna substitute with a drier pelikan 4001 black because i feel the Perle Noire being a little bit too wet for my Lamy). Now, I really need a nice paper to write on everyday, since I write a lot of notes at university. I prefer using free sheets on a clipboard, so I can later adjust them as I want in a ring binder.

Reading around in the forum, I found the HP premium choice laserjet 32 lb (which I don't even know how many gsm are, since we don't use lb in my country as measure unit) as the most acclaimed paper, but I can't find it even online in my country's e-shops. Can you help me finding some good reams for everyday use? The most important thing is: NO SHOW-THROUGH, i just hate writing on the shades of the other sheet's side and I must write on both sides.

I've interested in Navigator presentation 100gsm and Navigator expression 90 gsm, but I'd like to know if anyone of you have already tried them. I'm open at every paper brand by the way, just: no show-through again and a not-so-high price, let's say less than 10 euros per ream (500).

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heine

• macaddicted

• dcwaites

• SirVival

Your problem is that every country has different brands of paper available. So, the Americans have HP Prem. Choice Laserjet paper, and like to use and recommend that,

The British like Oxford brand sheets with Optik Paper, while the Scandinavians have Stora Enso 4CC, and Australians like me have Reflex Ultra and Double A.

I cannot give you an answer for Italy, but we would be interested in what you find.

PS - Fabriano paper is discussed on the FPN here, especially the Ecoqua products.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I'm also an Italian forums' user and in our community the Fabriano EcoQua divides the opinion: someone say it's excellent, someone say it's horrible, someone say it's just ok. I didn't try those books yet since I started using FP 2 weeks ago so I'm a true newbie, but it's seems like the EcoQua are a bit inconsistent, reading the variety of reviews. Moreover, I need printer paper (or ream paper of loose leaf paper), so I'm not really interested in those books. The Fabriano's print paper I tried didn't satisfy me, so I'm just looking for something better.

Your problem is that every country has different brands of paper available. So, the Americans have HP Prem. Choice Laserjet paper, and like to use and recommend that,

The British like Oxford brand sheets with Optik Paper, while the Scandinavians have Stora Enso 4CC, and Australians like me have Reflex Ultra and Double A.

I cannot give you an answer for Italy, but we would be interested in what you find.

PS - Fabriano paper is discussed on the FPN here, especially the Ecoqua products.

I got your "best paper in that country" point, it's logic and I didn't think about it before doing the post. I hope someone can still tell me something good, maybe about the Navigator paper that I can easily find here even if it's not an Italian brand.

Clairefontaine Digital Color Printing (DCP) paper is very similar, and very much more expensive.

Clairefontaine Digital Color Printing (DCP) paper is very similar, and very much more expensive.

Thanks for the answer, but I'm looking for something economical :D

Here in the US there are places which sell paper for business purposes. Perhaps there is something similar in Italy, where companies go for copier paper, which could both recommend a paper similar to HP and sell you a ream.

Or check on shipping costs to Italy on Amazon.

Or write HP customer service for any Italian vendors.

gary

If you want loose paper then look at

Austrian 80 and 90 gsm Mondi IQ Selection Smooth, IQ Premium,

But I would suggest A4 notebooks by German vendor

http://it.my-oxford.com/?from=ngu

or cheaper option from the same group - Landre.

The sheets have micro-perforation and 4 standard holes for binders and can be easily detached from the notebook and filed in any way wanted.

We live in a globalized world.

I ordered DoubleA paper here in Germany and it is a very good economical option. Now depending on ink etc. there may be some slight showthrough, but as that is a highly subjective thing you need to try it.

And HP laserjet paper should also be available globally, just convert the lbs to grams and order it.

Have you tried any of these?

http://fabriano.com/en/80/copy_line

I actually tried 2 of those and there's a huge show-through and feathering, but I used an Herbin Perle Noire ink which is very wet, so I'll try again with Pelikan 4001 asap.

I'll try out all the papers you have recommended, thanks a lot!

I'd forgotten about this:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314485-clairefontaine-60g-smart-print-paper/

Haven't tried it but the OP liked it. It's more an alternate to tomoe river. Very light weight. It was relatively inexpensive on Amazon UK when compared to other FP papers, though more to me than the HP because of shipping to the US.

32 lb paper is VERY heavy, much heavier than most writing paper, which is typically 20 lb or 24 lb, at least here in the US.

My favorite budget paper is Hammermill Ivory color copy paper, 20 lb weight. I buy it 10 reams at a time on amazon.com for between $45 and $65. Last purchase just this month I got it for $57. This includes free shipping. $5.70 per ream is very cheap.

If your pen is very wet, you might like to go for 24 lb paper, but this is probably unnecessary if you are using a EF nib. 20 lb paper is the standard and is MUCH cheaper than 24 lb weight.

Xerox also makes good paper, but not so good as Hammermill. These may be available on amazon.it. Xerox at least probably is.

I use ivory, not white colored paper, to reduce eyestrain, and because it looks prettier with black and red ink, which is what I mainly use.

I'd forgotten about this:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314485-clairefontaine-60g-smart-print-paper/

Haven't tried it but the OP liked it. It's more an alternate to tomoe river. Very light weight. It was relatively inexpensive on Amazon UK when compared to other FP papers, though more to me than the HP because of shipping to the US.

I use the 50GSM variety for dip pen practice and would highly recommend it.

~ Alexander

If your pen is very wet, you might like to go for 24 lb paper, but this is probably unnecessary if you are using a EF nib. 20 lb paper is the standard and is MUCH cheaper than 24 lb weight.

I find the finish more important that the weight of the paper in controlling the how the ink reacts. I have 17 pound vellum, which doesn't allow any spreading, the same is true for various 16 pound filler papers I have used. I also have some 20 pound stationery that doesn't, but then I have some 20 pound "inkjet" paper that makes a fine look like a broad point.

Edited by FLZapped

I don't doubt it. The finish on the paper is indeed quite important. But all other things being equal, the thicker the paper, by the same maker and with the same finish, the better it will resist bleed-thru.

24 lb US=90 gsm not sure what the 32 converts to.

Don't use the inkjet papers - use the laser papers. They will perform better. The inkjet papers will suck up the ink and create a very broad line - feathering badly. Regardless of how dry your pen and ink is.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

HP 32lb isn't cheap. 15USD for 300 sheets (because it's literally thicker sheets).

When I was in college, I took paper from the recycling bins, and just used one side. easier to study that way.

Hi,

I cannot suggest a specific paper, so I would base selection on paper characteristics.

Kindly look for an acid-free 90gsm laser copy/print paper. All-purpose, in the heavier weights, might be OK.

Definitely avoid inkjet-specific, and those with recycled content - the fibres are too short, so reduce line quality and make bleed- show-though more likely.

As these things sometimes go, you may have to change your ink to match the paper. [More ink is seldom a problem :) ]

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

an HP multipurpose paper in 24# is my everyday paper for note taking and draft writing. I purchase in reams and wait until the big box stores have it on sale. The paper I prefer for correspondence is Clairefontaine Triomphe.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html