Ink Window Does Not Line Up With The Nib 100%

TomFPN

Never given this a thought, mine seem to be lined up but for a pen at this price point, I wouldn't be surprised or upset if they didn't.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• TomFPN

• pen2paper

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember I wrote the following ...

I bought a dark lilac from a highly respected UK retailer and the window on mine is about 2-5 degrees out - I just checked. I might be able to get it fully aligned if I were to be willing to risk over-tightening and cracking the barrel, so I won't.

Well having read:

I see one thing that could your problem. If twisted on correctly the lamy logo is visible aligned with the top of the nib.
Take it apart, then give a slight turn to orient the thread correctly.

I noted that my logo was on the other side, so I unscrewed the barrel, put it back on with the logo on the 'correct' side and guess what, my window now lines up. Surprised me as well, I would have assumed it would be the same.

The logo belongs on the top.

For a Safari you have to begin screwing with the logo on the downside. For an AL-Star the logo has to be on the top, as the AL-Star has a shorter thread. - With this your logo will always be on the upper side, when you reassemble your pen.

Having owned both fake (I was new and looking to save a few bucks) and legit Safaris, I think one of the most striking differences is the fit of the cap. When capped, genuine Safaris are pretty firm and the cap won't spin easily. The fakes on the other hand spin fairly freely.

The caps on genuine Safaris do eventually get loose (well, at least if you leave them in a backpack in a hot car :( - any tips?), but on the new ones I was surprised by the difference.

There's also something about the breather hole locations on the nibs. I don't remember which way it goes, but maybe compare the new ones to the old and if they look the same you're likely good.

Having owned both fake (I was new and looking to save a few bucks) and legit Safaris, I think one of the most striking differences is the fit of the cap. When capped, genuine Safaris are pretty firm and the cap won't spin easily. The fakes on the other hand spin fairly freely.

The caps on genuine Safaris do eventually get loose (well, at least if you leave them in a backpack in a hot car :( - any tips?), but on the new ones I was surprised by the difference.

There's also something about the breather hole locations on the nibs. I don't remember which way it goes, but maybe compare the new ones to the old and if they look the same you're likely good.

Odd, I would be inclined to think that these pens would better withstand normal use. That shows mines have been given the royal treatment!!

Now, let's take the Kaweco's out instead! :lticaptd:

Remember I wrote the following ...

Well having read:

I noted that my logo was on the other side, so I unscrewed the barrel, put it back on with the logo on the 'correct' side and guess what, my window now lines up. Surprised me as well, I would have assumed it would be the same.

pleased that this turned out to be "turned related" = simple fix. :)

I do admit to a soft snug when I reassemble. During my Estie resac lesson the gentleman urged me to firmly but gently disassemble, it was then I realized my typical Gentle grasp required a heavier hand to conquer that friction fit.. So perhaps my success with Safari is in part to gentle never over tightening. But during job coaching the cap, except for I think twice due to my error (haste under pressure), did stay solidly clipped and capped on my oldest Red/Black furniture.

Solid, reliable, but not ever pen fits everyone's circumstances. :)

Odd, I would be inclined to think that these pens would better withstand normal use. That shows mines have been given the royal treatment!!

Now, let's take the Kaweco's out instead! :lticaptd:

It's still more firm than the fakes, but it's definitely not as resident to turning as it once was or compared to a newer Safari. It seals well and I don't have problems with it drying out but it was a little disappointing.

There is a cap fix that I ran across once that I might try.

It's still more firm than the fakes, but it's definitely not as resident to turning as it once was or compared to a newer Safari. It seals well and I don't have problems with it drying out but it was a little disappointing.

There is a cap fix that I ran across once that I might try.

indeed, all the more so considering the pen was designed to withstand the abuse given by 10-15 year olds

• 6 months later...

Dear Fountain Pen Network,

First please forgive the typo in my ID, I was in a rush registering because I have this burning question. I ordered a Lamy Safari from JetPens.com and I was wondering I might got a fake. As many of you already mentioned the window not lining up with the nib, I have the same issue, although very slightly. What bothers me more is the logo on the ink cartridge seems not normal. It is nice now you can see the logo on the cartridge through the window, but that is different from what I saw on internet. Please see attached picture and I would appreciate your help to clear this situation... Many thanks...

post-137882-0-24282600-1500471407_thumb.jpg

Edited by LamyBiginner

This slight disalingnment is normal. As it is a pen made of ABS it depends how tight you fasten it.

The Cartridges are also normal. There are several versions around depending how old they are. I have three different versions here. Lamy changed them over the years.

Astron, thanks so much for your response. Does one of your cartridges looks like the one I have in the picture there is a logo you can see through the window?

Jetpens is a legit dealer. It is highly unlikely they would sell a counterfeit pen.

I come the conclusion there are actually 5 different versions of Lamy cartridges in my posession. 2 differnent prints, two differnt embossed ones and one without any logo. All originals.

And yes, your cartridges are genuine too.