A 5 In 1 Pen Review

Klvn_170

Hello guys, this will be my first pen review, i'l be reviewing the uni 5 in 1 puremalt multipen, hope this review would be helpful:)

Design:8.5/10

As i graphic designer i appreciate the aesthetics of a writing instrument, a good quality and a smooth writer,the material in this pen is matte black, good quality plastic with a wood section for the grip, that they say is made out of a suntory whisky barrel.

Functionality:10/10

This pen has a 5in1 function,it has a black,blue,green,and red pen with a mech pencil and small eraser at the end

Price:7/10

The price may vary in some countries but i found it not too expensive or too cheap because of the functionality it offers.

Overall, in my opinion this is a perfect solution for you who wants a simple all in one writing tools in a single pen,it writes really smooth(of course not as smooth as fp XD).

Hope you enjoy my review, and may the review be helpful to all of you:)

-kelvin

post-133840-0-29951000-1484026256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Klvn_170

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Klvn_170

• Algester

• TMLee

• Tasmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the review.

Looks very professional and classy!

Do you know the width of the pens and pencil lines?

Where did you purchase it?

hello Tasmith, i'm not sure about the pen diameter, i guess its around 1.5cm in diameter.

the pencil has a 0.5 mech pencil lead,

i don't really remember where i got the pen, but i guess you can get it in most stores that supply products from the "uni"brand:)

refill uses uni-ball's proprietary SXR-80 refill

comes in .38, .5, .7 and 1.0

in classic red, blue, and black color

said refill can be salvaged from a transparent Jetstream multipen body should you have a hard time finding the refill

alternatively if online store is an option

http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Jetstream-3-Color-Ballpoint-Multi-Pen-0.38-mm-Transparent-Body/pd/10600/refills

jetpens have them

Edited by Algester

And there is one more option that has a better inkflow called the uni jetstream prime, it has all metal body and hidden twist mechanism, i will try to put a review and specs soon

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for a late reply.

Pure Malt, is that a pen brand, or is this an advertisement pen for whisky?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 10 months later...

Yes the UNI Jetstream ballpoints are awesome.

The ink and writing pleasure is second to none.

Supersmooth.

And if you write with TOMOE RIVER paper or any Japanese smooth papers, the experience is exquisite.

A close second would be the ZEBRA Surari , but there's lots of ink blobs with the zebras.

I too have a PURE MALT.

The reason is that I wanted an all black multipen.

LAMY Logo had an all black multipen years ago.

There is still this model but pity it doesnt come in matte black anymore.

It was very elegant and slim and had clean 'designer lines' .

I had mine repaired (sent back to Germany) and didnt come back for months.

They gave me a new replacement .

Its weighty - all metal.

So I found this alternative - an all black body that was suitable to replace my LAMY Logo.

The part that's not black is the wooden grip.

There's a way around this.

You can swap out this grip section with a cheaper version of the same UNI 4+1 multipen - the all black version - the one with transparent clip.

Rubber grip .

And its also lighter in weight after this swap.

This PURE MALT version is metal with wood.

Pretty heavy.

Doesn't hang well for the way I carry my clip pens - between the 1st and second shirt button.

( BTW I am not sure but was told that this transparent clip version is phased out.

I dont know how true this is. )

So I needed something light.

If anyone knows of an allblack multipen, of whatever brand - pls let me know.

Minus points

I notice that this PURE MALT version of UNI - the plastic where it carries the mini eraser is not as lasting as the silver clip standard model.

First the matte black coating starts to flake off and become sticky.

secondly the plastic carrying the eraser stats to break- crumble.

I am not sure why.

The UNI silver clip version doesn't.

Its the plastic, the standard models look to have thicker plastic.

I think a simpler solution would be to paint the silver clip black.

But it still doesn't solve the heavy metal grip.

And the rubber plastic becomes sticky after some years.

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

This is my first UNI Multipen many many years ago.

Functions perfectly but now , the grip has become sticky.

So I removed it and used my scrap leather (genuine ostrich) to reskin the grip.

fpn_1512221989__dscf7004.jpg fpn_1512222048__dscf7005.jpg

fpn_1512222108__dscf7011.jpg fpn_1512222242__dscf7008.jpg

fpn_1512222320__dscf7012.jpg

You can also glue leather with the wrong side up. so its kinda like suede to the touch.

Just a matter of finding the coloured leather to match the colour of the barrel.

I had white (grey underside) leather but I wanted fancy Ostrich ...

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

I have seen some of these 'Pure Malt' pens, and they do look nice, but frankly the name kinda turns me off..

So I found this alternative - an all black body that was suitable to replace my LAMY Logo.

Rotring Quattro/Trio comes in all black. Well, except for the iconic red ring on top. I like mine very much.