Recommendations For A Matte Black Fountain Pen

noddle

Hello FPN-ers, your valuable help is required....

I strongly dislike pens made of any material that will attract grease and fingerprints. Maybe it's just my hands that are over oily, but I can't abide the slippery feel that can develop. For this reason I will be selling my Danitrio Takumi Kuro-Keshi because, even though this particualr model comes with semi-matte (supposedly) urushi, it still becomes very greasy to hold comfortably. I did think about finding the raw ebonite version, but decided that the Danitrio nibs are too soft for me anyway.

My taste in fountain pens has gradually changed over the years, and after a lot of buying and selling, I am left with just one pen, the Omas Paragon Ludovicio Einaudi. I love this pen for it's fantastic nib, the understated design and most importantly, the matte finish. Here it is:

post-78139-0-82211100-1451922676.jpg

However, at 42g the Omas is a touch heavy for long writing sessions. I am therefore looking to partner it with a pen that is ideally:

- Large (MB 149 size)

- Light (around the 30g mark)

- Black or dark grey

- Piston filler, but I'm open to a CC

- Premium build, high quality

- Firm gold nib, but not a nail. I'd also consider steel

- Understated modern look, minimalist look or 'stealth look'.

- Thick barrel girth (around 15mm), my hands have nerve damage and a girthy pen helps my grip.

- Preferably NO metal section, unless matte (like the Omas Ludovicio), ribbed or sandblasted

- As long as the cost is below $1000, I'll consider it.

Here are some candidates I have considered:

1) Visconti Homo Sapiens. I had one of these, and although I liked the lava composite, the nib was an absolute gusher. I managed to improve this but in the end I fell out of love with it, so it got sold.

2) Aurora 88 Satin. Bit small?

3) Aurora Talentum Rubberized. I once had the blue acrylic version, it was alright,

4) Lamy 2000. I've heard good things, but not sure if the length and girth are big enough, and I have reservations about metal section.

5) Gama Hawk. Big Indian pen, all looks ok, although I don't know if I want an eyedropper pen.

6) Nakaya 17mm Portable. Possibly available in a variety of matte finishes. The steep drop down to the section looks uncomfortable, but may be ok.

There are a lot of options if I could accept a smaller sized pen. For example, the Conid Bulkfiller Regular Streamline in a matt Derlin has the length I'm looking for (146mm) but not the girth (only 13mm). It's a shame the Derlin finish isn't available in Kingsize (15mm girth). There is a polished ebonite version in kingsize which looks amazing and ticks all the boxes, but without handling it, I don't know if it is matt enough for me.

So, does my elusive pen exist?

I'd love to hear your thoughts....thanks in advance :) .

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• noddle

• johnsi02

• keo

• ChrisA

Do the Delta pens have piston-filling mechanism? They are quite wide and some might come in black but not sure they have the anti-grease properties you're looking for. They also come from a single non-transparent seller online.

If you are looking at the Gama Hawk, you might consider the Asa Maya. Per the specs on the asapens.in web site, the lengths are the same, but while the Hawk has a larger barrel diameter, the section of the Maya is slightly bigger. Also, the Maya is a matte finish and, with the JoWo nib option, works as a cartridge/converter.

I have no experience with either pen, other than that the Maya is on my wish list.

I've got the Aurora 88 in Matte Black - it is smaller than the 149 for sure. It's a bit smaller than the 146 capped and a tad longer uncapped. Girth is similar to the 146.

It's a very nice looking pen IMO - but may be too small for you.

You could try emailing Werner at Conid and seeing if they would be able to make the Kingsize in Delrin for you. I've considered doing the same, but held off because I'm not quite ready to shell out the clams.

I think the Aurora 88 matte would fit your interest in Italian pens. It's large enough, the section is the most comfortable on the market for long writing sessions (IMHO); the piston is flawless, it's a light pen, and the matte (if it is the same material as the Ipsilon black matte) is hardy and absorbent (I believe it's sandblasted rather than coated).

I also like the Sailor Imperial Black.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have a Cartier Diabolo in matte black that I love. I'm using it today.

Pic from the listing when I bought it:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2W0AAOSwB09YETa-/s-l1600.jpg

It sounds like you have a fairly solid idea of what you're looking for, and a fairly large budget. If I was in that situation, I'd be looking at something custom. The time frame can be long, but you'll likely get exactly what you want. I'm sure someone could give you a list of names to contact.

JS

My LAMY 2000 has a charcoal gray matte finish. I writes beautifully smooth. It never gets "greasy".

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The Lamy 2k is a smallish and lightish pen. I have one and really like it, but you would need to try one to see.

Another pen to consider is the Sailor 1911 Large in Matt Black.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I have a Cartier Diabolo in matte black that I love. I'm using it today.

Pic from the listing when I bought it:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2W0AAOSwB09YETa-/s-l1600.jpg

Lost one and still cry over it..

It is a really nice pen.

This may be to cheap for you, but i have one and love it:

https://www.gouletpens.com/delta-unica-fountain-pen-matte-black-fine/p/DEL-DM37113-F

Goulet Pens exclusive. It feels like a pen twice the cost and is very attractive, but the steel nib is just decent, in my opinion.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated :thumbup: .

There are so many great pens, but finding 'the one' which combines the large size, light weight, matte finish AND piston / vac filler will have to continue!

I'll check out some of the Indian pens, the Sailor pens and look at the custom option. First though, I'll contact Werner to see whether he can make the Conid Kingsize out of delrin - what a dream that would be :wub: .

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

I believe that Parker has some matte black pens. Take a look at the Sonnet.

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Take a look at the Sailor imperial black. I'd post a pic but mine is enroute from Japan. Sasha, mentioned the Lamy 2000. That's also at great choice and its around 300 dollars less than the Sailor imperial black.