Good Inks For Inexpensive Paper?

Needhelp

My favourite ink currently is the parker quink blue black but i want to try other inks so what are some blue/blue-black (no pink,black,light blue,red,purple,green etc.) and it should perform well and a little bit of show through is ok but minimal bleed and no feather. and i kinda like a bit of a darker colour and it should be semi water resistant because it shouldnt be like if i jut spiiled warter on it by accident and it dissappears like parker quink washable blue. the pen i will be using is the Lamy Safari in a fine nib. dont mind the cost too much but it shouldnt be like 20 ml for $42 but something that will last for a while and you can even add in an iroshizuku ink or etc.

thank you in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• inkstainedruth

• matteob

• Mister5

I'll second Pilot Blue-Black. It is my daily ink with reasonable water resistance. It is reasonably priced, especially if bought in the big 350ml bottles.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

KWZI IG Blue Black or IG Blue #3.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't have MB permanent black. Can see no reason not to buy it. I have the Remanent Gray, that works well.

I do have Pelikan 4001 Blue-black and ESSR. Which work fine. ESSR is reputed to be a bit better than Diamine Register ink....and at 110 ml for what ever it cost....was not expensive at all. Comes in a plastic bottle....so an empty glass ink bottle or two would be good.

There was one of the largest threads ever on FPN on ESSR ink some 35-40 pages.

I called it sneaky, Sandy1 called it mischievous. Depending on the paper, it will change color before your eye, or with in a few minutes to a day or more.

All good blue black inks change color with in 24 hours.

As soon as possible, you should lay hands on good to better papers......that makes a world of difference in how the ink dances.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Parker Quink Permanent Blue.

Glides on every paper like a charm!

And: it's cheap (at least, here in the Netherlands)

Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet, or Bad Blue Heron.

Mont Blanc Midnight Blue.

What is this "ESSRI" you guys keep referring to??

Sailor Sei Boku

Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

Platinum Mix-Free Smoke Black & Platinum Mix Free Aurora Blue mixed to the shades you like (adding the blaxk to any mix makes it water resistant)

ESSR is an English ink...once the BB of Stanford? inks...bigger than Diamine....a major English ink that was bought up and gutted by a conglomerate for the land the factory stood on.

Most think ESSR is a bit better than Diamine Registry ink.

One of the managers got the big wooden vat and the recipe for Blue Black registry ink as part of his settlement. So he and his family have been making this register ink ever since. ...some 25-35 years or so. A man who liked his job....an ink man.

Tony, one of the longest threads of over 40 pages was done on ESSR three years ago. I called it sneaky, Sandy1 calls it mischievous.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Diamine Prussian Blue, which appears to be their take on Pelikan blue-black. Be warned, though-- some pens find it too dry to pass through their feeds with any gusto (even moreso than the Pelikan).

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

What is this "ESSRI" you guys keep referring to??

Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars' Ink, a traditional iron gall blue-black ink from England, which performs well and is inexpensive. If I remember the story with any accuracy, the founder of ESS was a plant manager at Stephens (in the 1960's?) when they shut down ink production, and he bought the formula from them.

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I'm a big fan of Quick Blue-Black, but Diamine Sargasso Sea tends to behave well so long as you're not writing on tissue paper. Also, Diamine Asa Blue, because that colour is in just the right part of the spectrum for mee.

If I recall correctly the ESSR blue black ink is now made in Germany now? I have thought about trying it but am a bit scared that the iron gall will mess up my pens. Noodlers X Feather is a lovely rich black that is very feather resistant: great for daily use on ordinarrpy paper but has problems drying on posh coated paper, Diamine Sapphire blue is nice and fairly water resistant too. Parker Quink Permanent Blue/ Black is supposed to be safe and deposit free.

I've read that iron gall inks generally perform well on regular paper. Diamine Registrar's Blue Black is probably my favorite. Iron Galls tend to run drier and I've used it to tame an "EF" Pelikan M215 that ran more like a M.

Personally I've tried to switch to an EF nib when writing on non FP friendly paper. Also I know you said you didn't want any purples but Rohrer & Klinger Scabiosa is a really dark purple in an EF nib, and like other Iron Galls it darkens as it ages. In a broader nib the purple is more pronounced.

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Noodler's Heart of Darkness is, IMX, the best behaved of their blacks. It doesn't smudge like original Black and X-Feather, doesn't feather like Borealis Black, and rinses out of pens a lot better than Bad Black Moccasin. On top of that, it is functionally everything-proof. Switching to a finer point should help also.

An iron-gall ink, like ESSRI, Diamine Registrar's, or R&K Salix, is a common recommendation for bad paper. If you're interested in IG colors besides blue-black, consider KWZ inks, available at Vanness.

Parker Quink Permanent Blue.

Glides on every paper like a charm!

And: it's cheap (at least, here in the Netherlands)

I used to love Quink Permanent Blue. It was my go to ink in cartridges early on. And then...

they stopped carrying it here in the US. :angry:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am a blues person, rather and a blue-black person, and I have found that Sheaffer Skrip Blue, or Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, work well on 'ordinary' (ok, execrable) paper, especially when used with a fine nib.

I have not tried their Blue-Blacks, but I understand that Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is an Iron-Gall ink so that a ) it is drier than average inks and b ) the iron part precipitates out in the paper fibres very quickly so that limits spreading, feathering and bleeding.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Diamine Regency Blue is my favourite blue-black. It's on the drier side of inks so it should be good on cheap paper. Works well on my cheap Daiso paper.