What Are Rarest Parker 51 Aerometric Mk I & Ii Colours

Slimfish

If you would click on the lnik provided in post #5 you would be able to see the BBB (British Bloody Burgundy) alongside the American Burgundy (and all the other 51 aero colors).

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Slimfish

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, have you found the forest green 51? I believe this one is rarer than cocoa or midnight blue. I have several midnight blue pens, but I mistakenly sold my last forest green set several years ago. I thought I had another, but something happened to it. I kind of look at it like this, I have had all the colors at one time or another, so I don't care to go after any again. I think I am kind of burned out on Parker 51 at this point.

I haven't, but then I haven't really looked either. Not a big fan of green just in general. And I have pretty much all the 51 colors I want at this point, except for maybe BBB, and of course Midnight Blue for the Aerometrics, and Cordovan Brown for the 51 Vacs. The greys don't really do much for me either.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I haven't, but then I haven't really looked either. Not a big fan of green just in general. And I have pretty much all the 51 colors I want at this point, except for maybe BBB, and of course Midnight Blue for the Aerometrics, and Cordovan Brown for the 51 Vacs. The greys don't really do much for me either.

Do you expect to find a BBB nib in a 51? The only thing approaching that that I have read of is a Minuskin retip to something like 1.8 mm..

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Do you expect to find a BBB nib in a 51? The only thing approaching that that I have read of is a Minuskin retip to something like 1.8 mm..

I think the reference to BBB in this case = British Bloody Burgundy

Verba volant, scripta manent

post-133213-0-40922200-1484258394.jpg

I have assumed that mitto's photograph was taken in daylight and is a true reflection of what you would see if you were look at them in the flesh.

From left to right they are : ( if I have any wrong please correct me )

Midnight Blue, Teal Blue, Cocoa, Navy Grey, Forest Green, 'British' Blood Red, Burgundy , Plum, Black

I have added this reply in this fashion because I feel sure that there are alot of non experts like me who would like some sort of reference to assist in the colour indentification of these Parker 51's.

You are right. The picture was taken in daylight but not under direct sunlight. And the colors are as you mentioned.

Khan M. Ilyas

I think cocoa is pretty rare. But partly because, from what I've read, that color was more prone to cracking.

Thanks for the warning, Ruth. I hadn't heard of that risk factor. I just found myself a full size 3rd qtr 1948 in cocoa to go with my 51 demi, both of which are in use at the moment. Carefully from now on.

Glenn.

I too was not aware of this risk factor in the cocoa 51. I got both my plum and cocoa in a four P51 lot that I bought (lot of all four) for $115. The pictures were so bad that I thought I was buying some junk for parts. The lot also included a signet 51 the barrel of which was rubbed by someone egressivively to rub off the engraved name. Other than that it is a user grade pen.

The plum and cocoa were in very good condition, though. The fourth pen was a teal blue with the hood tip chipped off.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I grabbed a near mint condition Forest Green back in 07 or 08 for next to nothing. I had no idea that they are considered rare at all. They seem relatively common at times. The only reason I grabbed this one was the condition of the pen. Just couldn't pass that up regardless of color.

One needs to put rarity in context. There are 1000s of rare Plums for each Speckled Granite but there are 100s of Cedar pens for each rare Plum.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

How do the metal barrel pens factor into this discussion (or do they)? I have my dad's 51 Fighter (at least I assume that is what it is called based on the pictures I find online). Are they a different category of 51s all together?