Custom 74 Vs Heritage 91; Sfm Vs Sm

crescent2

I've become interested in finding out more about these pens as a result of comments I read here in another thread. On amazon, the prices for these pens are comparable at ~$75-80, free shipping from Japan.

Are the nibs the same (except for color) on the 74 and Heritage 91? I like the look of the sleeker clip on the 91, and it is rhodium plated as opposed to the 74's gold. I like both finishes.

Also, between a SFM and a SM, does one produce more line variation (with minimum to no pressure) than the other? Wetter/drier? I've read some great comments on the 74's SFM nib. Any thoughts on which nib and pen are best?

I may have to put one or the other of these pens on my wishlist. (I need to stay off FPN!) I welcome your thoughts, opinions, and comparisons on these pens and nibs. Thanks!

Edited by crescent2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crescent2

• Bluey

• TSherbs

• Pichak

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Crescent 2,

I own a Pilot Custom 74 with an SM nib and I love it. I do not own the 91; so I can't give you a comparison between the two.

What I can tell you is that writing with the soft medium nib is like writing with a Cadillac. You get a nice, soft, cushioned ride. :) That said, that's what those nibs are made for... a pleasurable "ride"... or writing experience. NOT really for flex; if you want flex, you need an FA (Falcon) nib.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The Custom 74 and 91 use exactly the same nib, and designwise the 91 is just a 74 with the ends cut off. If you already have a cigar shaped pen go for the Pilot Custom 91, and vice-versa. I think I would marginally prefer the shape of the 91 because even though there are lots of chopped-off-ends shaped pens, there are lots and lots and lots of cigar shaped ones.

I find the Custom range to be on the dry side, and the SF produces very slightly more line variation than the SFM but only if you're really looking for it. Both give a nice ride with a nice cushioned feel when you're writing. The SFM will have the slight edge on smoothness, as is expected.

Personally I would toss a coin for your choice because their differences are so minute

Edited by Bluey

Thanks, both of you. After looking at these a little more, if the nibs are the same, I think I prefer the styling of the 91 over the 74. Plus, the 74 looks a lot like my 3776. I don't have any soft nibs, so I am now trying to decide between the SF, SFM, or SM nib. I'll probably rule out the SF, as these are Japanese nibs on the narrow side, and I like a fairly smooth nib. I like a dark wet line, though not necessarily a wider line. I might go for the SFM as I don't have anything like that. Further thoughts?

My Century 3776 sf is a great deal springier than my custom 74 sf. I got the Custom first, and thought that was what to expect from the softness. Actually, my 3776 sf is SO springy I don't enjoy writing with it very much. I suppose I should learn how to write with it properly. I still don't know how best to take advantage of such springiness and line variation. I'm not used to the feel of writing with it, I feel like I'm leaving little hairlines all over the place where I don't lift it far enough off the paper to actually break contact with the paper. I don't think I'm making any sense. Sorry.

My Century 3776 sf is a great deal springier than my custom 74 sf.

I think yours is very much a museum piece. It's almost always the reverse. Either you have the superman of Platimum SFs or that Custom 74 that you have would be better off called an H-F.

Edited by Bluey

My Century 3776 doesn't have a soft nib; it's just a regular M and isn't at all springy, but it writes very well and always has. It's the Chartres Blue and I almost always ink it up with either Levenger Cobalt Blue or Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue. It likes both of those inks just fine and so do I.

In fact, I don't have any pens with a soft nib, or even any other gold nib pens, except for a vintage Parker Demi that's as old as I am.

The only black pen I have is one of my very first purchases, a black Pilot Metro M with dot trim, which is a very good writer with anything I've ever fed it.

I may have to have that black Custom Heritage 91, probably in SFM, at some point! I like its looks and it's calling my name. :wub:

My name seems to get called a lot when I repeatedly visit this website.