Phoenix Arizona Get Together!

Jeffd2u

Phoenix area and surrounding Arizona pen collectors:

Let's finally do this Phoenix area pen gathering! I have lurked a bit on this forum and found the old posts of Phoenix area folks talking about a meet up, but doesn't appear that it ever came to fruition.

Time to change that!

There are at least 24 active pen folks on this forum in the Phoenix and surrounding area. Not to mention some great commercial members like Pendemonium and Karas Kustoms. More than enough to hold our own mini-show right here.

I am throwing my house open as the locale with plenty of table space, and counters for laying out pens, trying them out with various inks, and generally talking and learning from each other. There will be snacks and refreshments and maybe an odd micro-brew or two to share.

All parties welcome--you don't need to be an expert or even a regular user. Just have an interest in fountain pens or other writing instruments and ephemera.

DATE: Looking at February 11th, Saturday afternoon from 1:00 PM until we decide to quit. If we get wild and crazy (as fountain pen people can do) we can order pizza and keep going.

BACKUP DATE--If there is interest but the 11th is not good we can fall back to March 4th. Let me know your preference.

Later in February is the LA Pen show so maybe some people will attend there and bring some interesting items back if we wait until March 4th?

AGENDA: None really, but please bring your pens and latest finds and treasures to share. I am hoping we have some old hands as well as beginner collectors and everyone in between. Maybe a calligrapher to share their craft. I have a couple potential guests that could give a specific topic brief presentation such as pen care/maintenance, etc.

LOCATION:--we are in north Phoenix, just north of Desert Ridge up Tatum Blvd. When we pin down the date and attendees I will send the address.

RSVP--I am going to figure out the calendar function on this site and add the event with an RSVP link. Please use that so we can judge the interest in each date.

If you have questions or suggestions I am all ears--please messenger me through FPN.

Jeff

(I am a minor collector and daily user, and got interested in using fountain pens again about 15 years ago. Originally from Portland I got involved with a small group there that was very enjoyable, and I started adding the odd vintage pen here and there. All of my pens are users and I change them regularly in my pocket. Came to Phoenix in '06 and got busy with work and have only added a couple pens in 10 years--tragedy. Really looking forward to meeting some fountain pen users and collectors here in the valley)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeffd2u

• Green Ink

• pengoddess

• pen tom

Thank you Jeff for doing this. I think that this is a great idea. I've never attended a pen group meeting but have been to 3 fountain pen shows so far. I've had a off again, on again relationship with pens but have been quite interested in pens for the past few years.

I live in the far west valley but I am used to driving around the entire valley. Phoenix is so large that it could use a pen groupI

Thanks pen tom. Been getting good response on private messenger also so I think we are looking good for a February 11th gathering. Good response from some of the local pen businesses also that can attend and bring some interesting things for show and tell. This isn't a pen show with sales, but great to see our business friends in a casual setting and see the newest things and maybe learn a bit about pens.

More to follow, but mark down the 11th and we look forward to seeing a big group!

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so very much for putting this together. I'll be delighted to be part of the group. I just marked February 11 on my calendar. I'll watch for more information. FUN!

• 2 weeks later...

OK Phoenicians and Arizonans (and winter visitors) things are shaping up nicely. I have been getting good feedback and it looks like Mar 4 is better for the greater number of you. Hopefully Green Ink can make some adjustments and join us--with some great ink to sample. We have a good mix of local collectors and some of our commercial friends and members joining. Will be a very laid back meet and greet--show and tell--sample and test--get together. Looks like we'll have new and old pens to show and try. I'll have an ink sampling/writing station set up with lots of paper. We have people joining that repair pens, collect specific brands, have one pen, have been in the market for a long time and for a short time. Also, the March date is after the LA Pen Show so hopefully we'll have some reports from those who attended and maybe some pictures of the sea of pens, supplies, paraphernalia and ephemera....

I have reached out to our neighbors to the south in Tucson also and hope a couple of them will carpool up here to join us.

Ink in March 4th on your calendars and look forward to meeting you all and hopefully starting a somewhat regular thing......

Jeff

• 1 month later...

OK Phoenix, final countdown to Saturday and things are shaping up. Good attendance from some of our commercial supporters and providers as well as local collectors, users, and newbies. We will have ink testing station, some displays of various new and antique pens to share and learn, as well as some handmade examples from local craftsmen.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at 1:00 this Saturday. I will have some snacks and soft drinks, coffee, etc.

Bring your pens, inks, books, ephemera, questions, and friends.

See you soon!

Directions:

North Phoenix, just north of the Desert Ridge shopping area. Take Tatum north from the loop 101 about 3.5 miles to Jomax Rd. (Circle K on the left). Turn left on Jomax, then 2nd right on 46th, then 2nd left on Andrea Court. Drive straight ahead. My house is at the head of the cul-de-sac. 4602 E Andrea Dr. Plenty of parking on the street. If you get lost call me at (six zero two) Six Seven Seven--Seven Nine One Two.

Thanks,

Jeff

Truly disappointed that we are unable to get down to Phoenix for what is looking like a really fun pen people gathering. Been chatting with Jeff about this off and on for months and hoping there will be a second gathering and the stars (pens) and my calendar line up better!

Have fun everyone! Sam

The day is upon us. Looking forward to seeing everyone and seeing some new pens. Been staring at my own for too long.

If you have any trouble finding us just give me a call.

Six zero two--Six Seven Seven--Seven Nine One Two

Jeff

The first Phoenix pen get together is in the books and was a great time. Very good turn out with a variety of pen users, collectors, manufacturers, and repair-ers. We had a visit from a neighbor with a collection of his hand turned pens of various woods and materials (who knew there was an International Association of Pen Turners?). We perused a bin of LA Pen show finds that are soon to be restored by Pentique. Green Ink brought a great collection of inks already loaded in a variety of pens for experimentation. The Wahl-Nut showed some of his latest pens and shared with us stories of running an international organization producing some of the highest quality new pens with classic celluloid bar stocks. The flexible nibs were amazing.

Overall a definite success and I think we are on our way to establishing a regular group. Plan is to shoot for another casual get together in early May before many of us bug out for the summer, even if just for a week or two. Then we'll re-group in the fall with a September gathering and try to get in 2 or 3 for next season. If things work out maybe a joint meeting of the Phoenix and Tucson groups, alternating cities or even meeting at a five star resort in downtown Eloy....

Keep checking in here and as we pull it together we'll let you all know. If you missed it today and want to make sure you are in the loop for future please feel free to message me here.

Sorry to have missed the meetup, it sounds like everyone had a great time. We've been hosting get togethers/meetups monthly now since October at our shop, complete with walk thrus, food, and beverages. It's usually two or three of us and we open the shop from 4-7pm on the second Saturday of the month, I'll put the dates for the next 6 months down below. We are working on getting guest speakers, artists, and out of state representation from some nib meisters or pen turners to potentially do a direct video presentation. The environment is laid back we have tables and chairs set up with pens and inks for people to try out. We see it as an opportunity to foster a community mindset whether you are a pen person or not.

March 11th

April 15th

May 13th

June 10th

July 15th

August 12th

Sorry to have missed the meetup, it sounds like everyone had a great time. We've been hosting get togethers/meetups monthly now since October at our shop, complete with walk thrus, food, and beverages. It's usually two or three of us and we open the shop from 4-7pm on the second Saturday of the month, I'll put the dates for the next 6 months down below. We are working on getting guest speakers, artists, and out of state representation from some nib meisters or pen turners to potentially do a direct video presentation. The environment is laid back we have tables and chairs set up with pens and inks for people to try out. We see it as an opportunity to foster a community mindset whether you are a pen person or not.

March 11th

April 15th

May 13th

June 10th

July 15th

August 12th

Hi Dan, great you are doing this! I totally missed the messages people sent me about the Phoenix meetup - been working many projects and keeping FAs busy ;)

I totally hope you get a FP tuner to come to your place; that I would love. The long waits of these "tuners" to do a little work, coupled with about a third of the pens I have needing tuning really turned me off the "regional" pen shows.

It would be great to catch up with you; perhaps some sushi :) my em@!1 is

stevesurfaro

@

6mail d0t com

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and look forward to a visit to your shop. A couple guys at work use your pens daily and love them.

Our nascent group has decided on a name--Desert Pen Collectors. We welcome all from Phoenix and surrounding areas, from beginner to lifelong user and those who build their own.

We set up a facebook group to keep in touch. Please find us as Desert Pen Collectors on fb and ask to join.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon!

Jeff

• 1 year later...