Vintage Wing Sung Yes Or No

PenPaper52

Hello everyone,

I was browsing 'THE Bay' when I came across some of jewelrymathematics listings of vintage Wing Sungs. Some are inexpensive and others aren't.

I am very tempted but thought before I do something I will regret I'd better as you guys first.

So what should I do?

Stay safe!

Rita

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenPaper52

• bob_hayden

• matteob

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it the bosck one with gold band from the 90s? I bought one online too. Not too impressed: cheap finish and a horrible smell to it.

He sends out his pens by registered mail, for which you have to sign.

I bought a black Wing Sung 613-1 from him in 2015, it still smells of mould: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/331547683970

However, the two other, newer pens I had bought from him at the same time didn't smell.

I had previously (in 2013) bought 3 Wing Sung 612 from a US seller, they didn't smell at all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/161051915084

I have some experience with Wing Sungs, the 007 and 570 models. The 007, a pen with a screw-off cap and octagonal barrel was purchased for $6 USD and was found to be a very nice every-day pen. The 570, a very large pen purchased for $3.70 USD had a peculiar odor which largely vanished in a few months. The 570 has become one of my favorites. These pens are a plastic, or I you prefer "resin", and so in my view preferable to the brass bodied pens that characterize so many Chinese offerings

I say yes, but if possible locate one that was exported a couple of decades ago and has been kept largely unused for the last twenty years or so, after being stored ink free. My understanding is they were exported to Israel and India, and likely some other markets 30 to 40 years ago. I postulate that they had competition in those markets, and they would have been imported by Private organizations and thus the quality of pens sold in those places may have been higher and the pens may have been used less than those coming out of the PRC directly. The Wing Sung I have write's well and is of good quality and shares the kind of history I suggested.

Edited by Parker51

I don't know the pens you're considering, but as an eBay seller, jewelrymathematics is extremely reliable.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I don't know the pens you're considering, but as an eBay seller, jewelrymathematics is extremely reliable.

amen.

yes, i remember when he sent packages registered mail -which is pretty safe IMO- but last two purchases has come regular USPS.

Is it the bosck one with gold band from the 90s? I bought one online too. Not too impressed: cheap finish and a horrible smell to it.

matteob thanks for taking the time to reply. Don't now which one that is.....sorry!

Stay safe!

Rita

He sends out his pens by registered mail, for which you have to sign.

I bought a black Wing Sung 613-1 from him in 2015, it still smells of mould: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/331547683970

However, the two other, newer pens I had bought from him at the same time didn't smell.

I had previously (in 2013) bought 3 Wing Sung 612 from a US seller, they didn't smell at all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/161051915084

Panda74 thank you for replying to my post.

I have received several packages for which I had to sign. Don't mind 'cause I'm home most of the time anyway.

Stay safe!

Rita

I have some experience with Wing Sungs, the 007 and 570 models. The 007, a pen with a screw-off cap and octagonal barrel was purchased for $6 USD and was found to be a very nice every-day pen. The 570, a very large pen purchased for $3.70 USD had a peculiar odor which largely vanished in a few months. The 570 has become one of my favorites. These pens are a plastic, or I you prefer "resin", and so in my view preferable to the brass bodied pens that characterize so many Chinese offerings

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I would prefer a resin or celluloid pen. Wouldn't mind the smell if the pen were a good writer.

Stay safe!

Rita

I say yes, but if possible locate one that was exported a couple of decades ago and has been kept largely unused for the last twenty years or so, after being stored ink free. My understanding is they were exported to Israel and India, and likely some other markets 30 to 40 years ago. I postulate that they had competition in those markets, and they would have been imported by Private organizations and thus the quality of pens sold in those places may have been higher and the pens may have been used less than those coming out of the PRC directly. The Wing Sung I have write's well and is of good quality and shares the kind of history I suggested.

Parker51, thanks for replying. How do I find out whether a pen was exported. I am new my way around the web for "simple actions" but I really am we call in Dutch...een digibeet.

In other words if I come across as ignorant in certain areas....it is because I am....

Stay safe!

Rita

Hi this is the pen I mean. I did not get it from jewelrymathmaticc but it does have a mouldy smell. I will wash it in a light detergent solution.

post-133135-0-63687300-1483875678_thumb.jpeg

Edited by matteob

Hi Bobje...thanks for taking the time to reply. By going through the many threads and topics I learned about jewelrymathematics. So my question wasn't so much about him, but about the 'vintage' Wing Sung he has listed. You see, I already own a few other Chinese pens and I was really looking for a Kaigelu, Picasso or a Crocodile when I came across his listings.

Stay safe!

Rita

@matteob

That is a nice looking pen. I will shortly go back to the Bay and browse some more.

@lovemy51

Thank you for replying to my post. The reason I am interested in vintage Chinese pens is because some members have suggested on numero's occasions that vintage pens are a better investment.

And because they meant the vintage non Chinese pens I was wondering if the same applied to the Wing Sung. Will they last longer than the younger/newer Chinese pens and are they better made?

Stay safe!

Rita

I went back to the Bay and am now considering the WS322k, WS233 or a 2016 WS659 with two nibs. EF and F.

There a few others from another seller but I will stick with jewelrymathematics for the timebeing.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your input. Highly appreciated.

Stay safe!

Rita

Wing Sung the old name closed their operation circa 1999 and the brand is taken over by Hero. If you want genuine vintage stock then you should be looking at models prior to 1999 close out.

The 233 and 322 are both mainstay models of their days and both proven quite reliable mid range models. The 659 is just branded Wing Sung licensed production but its still a relatively OK pens though I find the nibs feedback bit hard and high.

Up date:

I ended up buying a WS 322, a Kaigelu 356 and a Hero 395 all F nib.

And now it's THE waiting game....

Stay safe!

Rita