The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

What To Do With Defective Aurora?

aurora luna repair warranty

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 QuantumMisa

QuantumMisa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 18:36

With another possible 10-month turnaround ahead of you, in your situation I'd call it quits and return it for store credit.  That is, assuming you want to do business with that store again.

Nobody has mentioned it before, but you could take it to a professional pen restorer and see if it can be repaired, and the price quote for the work.  But, that does open up a whole new world of uncertainty and stress.

Thanks, ErrantSmudge. Yup, I decided just to go for the store credit gift card. I considered asking a third party repairer, but because it is a limited edition and some of the flaws are in the Auroloide, I didn't think it would be feasible both tech-wise and expense-wise.

(I'll definitely be less likely to buy LE or Aurora from now on and plan to use the credit for something standard, with bigger production numbers or higher quality control and more easily returnable/replaceable.)

And now I need to distract myself from the anxiety that something wrong will happen to the gift card once the store sends it...It sounds paranoid but this saga in general has not gone well so far, so... :wacko:

Sponsored Content

#22 Angel91

Angel91

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 20:55

I sent my aurora duo cart more than 4 months ago, no replies since...

#23 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 21:25

Why not full store credit or refund? You didn't do anything wrong, they did in sending out a defective item. And to take such a long time to have it repaired badly, I would expect a full refund if I had the origonal receipt and had contacted them promptly after having received the pen or full store credit if the defect was not initially apparent.

#24 QuantumMisa

QuantumMisa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 22:33

Why not full store credit or refund? You didn't do anything wrong, they did in sending out a defective item. And to take such a long time to have it repaired badly, I would expect a full refund if I had the origonal receipt and had contacted them promptly after having received the pen or full store credit if the defect was not initially apparent.

I asked about this, and apparently it was because the store received the pen after their initial return window when I shipped it back.  It's a bummer but they've sent the partial credit (irreversible) so I'll just suck it up this time.  At this point I just wanted to be done with this whole transaction. :(

#25 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:23

I do feel sorry for you; I've had the experience where a pen just wasn't right and didn't live up to expectations, but never on the scale that you have encountered with this pen.

In my mind, Aurora isn't the only party at fault here.  In your situation I would discharge the partial store credit and never do business with that store again.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 25 November 2017 - 03:25.

#26 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:01

I have an Aurora Optima Demo which has problems with cracking. I've sent it to be repaired via Kenro twice, which took a few months each time. The resin has cracked again and I'm considering sending it in again, but may just live with it - it's the cap top so it doesn't impair the functionality. But I've stopped buying Aurora, which is a shame.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#27 graystranger

graystranger

Beware of someone with one pen, they probably know how to use it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 17:29

This has been an interesting journey for QuantumMisa, and I think that a return window should not apply for a defective product. Did the seller tell you about this window when they first offered the refund? If not, then not offering a refund on the "repaired" pen is unethical in my opinion.

From what I've read here, I'm concluding that Farney Pens is the seller of this Aurora pen. I think it was Farney's responsibility to thoroughly check the "repaired" pen when received from Aurora before it was sent on to you. They should have found the defect in the resin and then dealt with Aurora directly instead of dumping it back on you. A seller who will not stand behind their customer does not deserve that customer's business.

My take: I will never ever buy an Aurora pen at all. I don't want a pen that takes most of a year to correct a defect in the product (that can show up at any time). And on top of that, for the seller to send the buyer back the "repaired" pen with a new defect is a slap in the face. I suspect that parts were replaced in the original pen, simple fix and cheaper for Aurora. And Farney did not take 5 minutes to look at the pen before returning it to you. That is not right either.

So, I learned a good lesson here. I'll avoid Farney Pens and all Aurora pens altogether. Life is too short to go through what you have gone through. I'm surprised you are taking this so meekly, I would have told Farnney that they have lost my business for life. What they saved with their "partial credit is a fraction of what they probably will lose if you don't give them any more business.

And I would not take their store credit, it puts some profit in their pockets when you use it. I would sell this pen with its defect disclosed to the buyer, and salvage something without giving any more money to Farney by using their store credit.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

#28 LuckyKate

LuckyKate

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2018 - 00:00

This is really not good service at all. You bought a damaged pen. By way of comparison, I bought a limited edition Aurora 88 from a different seller in March 2017. A month ago I noticed the cap band was loose, on a pen that has been rarely used. If it's not an easy fix, the seller has offered to send it back to Aurora for repair or refund me a full store credit for the pen, my choice.

#29 teeitup418holes

teeitup418holes

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:37

I sent in a cracked Aurora 88 LE 4 months ago and Kenro told me that they would have it back to me in 6-8 weeks. They’ve never reached out to me, and the times I email to ask about the status of the repair, they don’t even reply. I’ll get a reply about 1 out of 5 emails I send. They never have an explanation other than “Aurora is short on supplies to repair your pen.” It seems like they don’t really know what’s going on with my pen, or where it’s at.

It’s such a sad commentary, because I really enjoy their pens.

And my 88 anniversary just showed 4 places on the cap where the resin is splitting. I’ve only owned it for 3 months and it’s splitting after I take excellent care of it. I’m not wanting to keep a defective pen, but also am fearful of the repair service I’ll get.

#30 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2018 - 00:39

This is a kind of sad thread. I used to be a fan of Aurora because of the writing qualities, the amount of craftsmanship involved, and the fact that it's a small, independent company. But some of the issues I've encountered (cracking of the clear resin, barrel/section rings loose), along with the price ($500-800), make me stay away from further purchases. The same happened to me with OMAS, before the company closed.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#31 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 941 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2018 - 23:16

I dont consider fair to judge a manufacturer basing on the problem of one single pen.
In many years of pen collecting I had problems with single pen of all brands, Japaneses, Germans, Italian, France, and so on.

#32 marlinspike

marlinspike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:24

I dont consider fair to judge a manufacturer basing on the problem of one single pen.
In many years of pen collecting I had problems with single pen of all brands, Japaneses, Germans, Italian, France, and so on.

But have you had problems with the customer service of the other brands? It is impossible to even get a response from Aurora when a pen needs service, and they continue making pens with the same flaws for years and years and years. Auraloide Optima caps are basically a disposable item because of how quickly they break from normal use, and to top it off it takes months and months and months to get a replacement cap after paying for one, and even that is only if you ever actually hear back from Aurora.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora, luna, repair, warranty

Sponsored Content

|