Website To Buy Japanese Fountainpens From?

qrettle

I am relatively new to the fountianpenworld and I've been lurking in the low range section for quite a while and I decided to step up get some mid range fountain pens.

I got most of my pens from Goulet but my biggest problem with Goulet is that Im not in amerika Im actually not even in the Eu, I live in switzerland which makes the shipping costs a real pain in the ass (last itme I paid 30US Dollar for the shipping) I decided to get a Pilot Custom 74 and a Stella 90s thats when I discovered Japan import via Amazon. The pens sold on Amazon are really way cheaper for me than buying them from Goulet I got my Custom 74 from a Japanese seller JSUBCULTURE it arrived today it didnt come with the original packaging nor the con 70 but it seems legit. I bought it for less than half the price i would pay at Goulets or any other American retailer.

I was wondering what is your go-to-seller for japanese fountain pens if you're on a budget?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fly_us

• NinthSphere

• Leonil

• qrettle

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend J subculture as the Japanese don't charge huge amounts for their shipping and the Japanese made pens are cheaper there.

Living in Australia, it is near impossible to find anything other than a falcon or a vanishing point. Even metropolitan are hard to find.

I've bought numerous pens direct from Japan via Ebay. Pick a seller with a lot of feedback and a near perfect feedback score and you're fine. From my experience they're very interested in making sure you're a satisfied customer (good communication even though the English isn't always good) and I always send a quick thank you note when I get the pen. As an example - I've bought a couple pens from hobby_japan and have been 100% satisfied.

Pay attention to shipping - if they offer very cheap economy shipping that means you could be a month out (at least to the US) for delivery. You can ask if they have a faster method and they may be willing to do so at an extra charge to you. In comparison I've also bought numerous pens direct from Italy and one vendor ships DHL which gets it to my doorstep in *3* days! Of course they charge for that but it's not egregious. Three days from Italy to Ohio always impresses me!

Ebay and J subculture. Sometimes i dig into rakuten JP and found some gems there. But you might need a forwarder service if you want to buy from Rakuten.

My last one (a Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne) I bought from a Japanese Amazon seller (Endless Japan) Ordered on November 12, arrived December 1 to Utah. I suspect it sat in a US Customs warehouse for a fair share of that time. (the estimate was December 13-January 9)

In November 2015 I ordered a Pelikan M200 Cognac from a different Japanese seller on Amazon (Nagasawa). It took 8 days.

I just used standard shipping both times.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

J-subculture.com for sure. Good selection offered and the prices are very reasonable (almost half the UK price for a Platinum Cenury 3776) and the shipping is low too.