Lamy Repair-Center Experience

fromthecrowd

This story started when I bought a Lamy 2000 online from one reputable seller in Germany. Upon inspection of the pen it was found that the piston knob remained loose in the screwed down position and the extra fine nib was dry and scratchy. It so happened that I did not contact the seller immediately and some considerable time had passed. The pen was sitting in the case useless. By chance at the official Lamy web page I saw mention of repair center and decided to mail the pen directly to its original factory at Heidelberg, Germany. The attached note described the faults of the pen and included a request to change the nib from extra fine to medium. According to postal tracking it took two weeks for the parcel to travel from Moscow to Heidelberg. Having no knowledge of the repair turnaround, I decided not to rush things. After five months had passed I sent an inquiry about my pen through the feedback form on the Lamy web page, citing the postal tracking number. Automatic response was immediately returned. And that was not a surprise. But in a few minutes I got an answer from the Lamy representatives in Moscow! And mind you, this was very late in the evening! They said to have been very happy to find me at last. Obviously some displacement of my home address had happened. The pen returned from Heidelberg to the Lamy Moscow office in less than a month time and was waiting for my inquiry. Next day they phoned, and I just started to explain that it was not convenient for me to travel to their office, when they immediately offered to send the pen by post. The repairs and shipping turned out to be free of charge. Finally I received the much awaited pen. The piston problem was fixed and it had clearly a new nib installed. The latter was tested and tuned at Repair Center by dipping in blue black ink, as prophylactic flushing revealed. Nib markings in this model are hidden under the hood and I am not certain as to the size of the nib, but wetness and line breadth suit me fine. Now my Lamy 2000 is close to perfect and I am very happy with it!

Thank you Lamy for your great customer service!

And I also want to thank Natalia Grechukhina at Lamy Moscow office who is very social and effective!

To say the least I am very positively impressed.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• RMN

• fromthecrowd

• dapprman

Top Posters In This Topic

They're really great. I've had a Lamy Dialog for a couple of years and it was never quite right. I loved the idea and the design and everything about the pen really, except that it just never worked.

1- My pen had the typical problems that they always seemed to have: dry out. Bad. That's nothing new.

2- My pen also had a couple of mechanism issues. Sometimes it would lock up when twisting to open or close and it was difficult to twist it back and forth one way or the other. Total pain in the butt. The nib would also slide back into the pen when writing. Sometimes, not always. Irritating. Unusable.

So I sent the pen to Lamy US
http://www.lamyusa.com/warrantyinfo.php
with a check for $10 and a detailed description of the problems.

I sent the pen off July 1st and got it back July 13th. Hot dang that's fast. My note was in the box with the pen. At the bottom of my long (way too long) note was a brief note that says "Replaced pen with a new pen, retained nib. (steel b nib). Work order######

WHAT??? That was it. They replaced the pen. The whole pen. I have a NEW Dialog. And I couldn't be happier. I was expecting a service charge or something (which they warn you about on the warranty page) but nothing.

So yeah, if you ever have a problem with a Lamy pen don't hesitate to send it in. They're the best. :)

They're really great. I've had a Lamy Dialog for a couple of years and it was never quite right. I loved the idea and the design and everything about the pen really, except that it just never worked.

1- My pen had the typical problems that they always seemed to have: dry out. Bad. That's nothing new.

2- My pen also had a couple of mechanism issues. Sometimes it would lock up when twisting to open or close and it was difficult to twist it back and forth one way or the other. Total pain in the butt. The nib would also slide back into the pen when writing. Sometimes, not always. Irritating. Unusable.

So I sent the pen to Lamy US

http://www.lamyusa.com/warrantyinfo.php

with a check for $10 and a detailed description of the problems.

I sent the pen off July 1st and got it back July 13th. Hot dang that's fast. My note was in the box with the pen. At the bottom of my long (way too long) note was a brief note that says "Replaced pen with a new pen, retained nib. (steel b nib). Work order######

WHAT??? That was it. They replaced the pen. The whole pen. I have a NEW Dialog. And I couldn't be happier. I was expecting a service charge or something (which they warn you about on the warranty page) but nothing.

So yeah, if you ever have a problem with a Lamy pen don't hesitate to send it in. They're the best. :)

And if you notice, the new model now has an ink vue window!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I'm another happy chappy. I dropped my Dialog 3 resulting in being dented. I sent it in expecting to be told it would cost me X for a replacement barrel - I was honest that it was my fault. Heard nothing them 3 weeks later a new body with my old nib (I'd said I was happy with it) arrived gratis - just got me the initial shipping charge.

• 1 month later...

I recently sent an older version lamy 2000 (whose barrel had suddenly cracked for no reason, as is their wont on older versions) to the new Texas repair center as instructed (I am in USA). For a cost of $9.50 (or so) shipping fee, they completely upgraded everything but the nib and feed (I had requested to keep the same nib as this pen was a long time favorite).

From the looks of everything, the new repair center is just as meticulous as the former one in Connecticut, which was also excellent, but perhaps a bit more personal.

I wanted to write a thank you e-mail note to the Texas center, but such contact seems less accessible now than it was at the CT Filofax.

But the service was flawless and fast, so I heartily recommend the new facility.

I too have great repair service from the Lamy Texas repair facility on my 2000. Replaced everything except my nib and cap free of charge. Fast too!

Edited by bhbarto