My First Gold Nib Pen (A Pilot Falcon Soft Fine) Just Arrived From Goulet Pens, Yay! Advice Welcome. :-)

inkyelbows

My red Pilot Falcon just arrived from Goulet Pens and I looooooove it so much. It was a Christmas gift from my husband, and I promptly inked it with Iroshizuku Yama-Guri.

This is my first gold nib pen; I mostly have Lamy Safaris, Kaweco Sports and Platinum Preppies.

I'm so paranoid about pressing too hard because I've heard that you can hurt gold nibs that way.

Also paranoid about losing it, so am just going to use it in my home office for now.

This was my first order from Goulet Pens. I live in Canada, and the shipping and custom fees were pretty hefty...so I think I will only order from them in the future when I know I'm going to be visiting my friends in the U.S.

I also ordered a Platinum Refillable Carbon Brush Pen with a converter, can't wait to try this out as well!

If anyone has any tips for a Pilot Falcon newbie, feel free to let me know.

Thanks so much,

Debbie

post-133246-0-08914900-1483573954_thumb.jpg

post-133246-0-90471100-1483574265.jpg

Debbie Ridpath Ohi - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl - YouTube: @debbieohi

My FP blog (fountain pen comics and doodles): Debbie Ohi's Inky Journal

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkyelbows

• Bo Bo Olson

• fly_us

• OmegaMountain

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful pen, congratulations! You will enjoy using it for illustrating. It makes a great sketching pen.

Edited by linearM

Pro tip: Don't drop it on the floor like I did mine yesterday! Fortunately mine didn't suffer any damage but it makes you cringe either way. Congrats on the new pen - it's an awesome one!

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

LinearM wrote: "Beautiful pen, congratulations! You will enjoy using it for illustrating. It makes a great sketching pen."

Thanks, Joel! I'M VERY EXCITED, especially after hearing that you do sketching with your Falcon.

Also, I love your art! Hope you post more...

Debbie

Debbie Ridpath Ohi - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl - YouTube: @debbieohi

Pro tip: Don't drop it on the floor like I did mine yesterday! Fortunately mine didn't suffer any damage but it's makes you cringe either way. Congrats on the new pen - it's an awesome one!

Thanks, Omega!

And yes, I'm SUPER PARANOID ABOUT DROPPING MY PEN! I am klutzy.

Debbie

Thanks, Omega!

And yes, I'm SUPER PARANOID ABOUT DROPPING MY PEN! I am klutzy.

Debbie

Install carpeting. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Nice!

I have a Platinum Century on the way (from J-Subculture at nearly half the price my usual stationary supplier charges) and a Parker Century I have my eyes on with 14k nibs and looking forward to them. I have also paid for a Ratnamson gold nibbed ebonite pen but have doubts as to whether it will turn up :(

Congrats on the new pen.

Pilot falcon is a very nice pen. Just don't put it too hard, the nib is never be designed as a full flex one.

And of course, beware of the addiction. It might hit you faster than you realize :D

Next on your list is a semi-flex Geha 790 or Pelikan 140/400nn. :thumbup:

They will be your Falcon nib +.

First enjoy your new pen. It is a pretty pen.

If you hold your pen behind the big knuckle and grasp it like a featherless baby bird, there should be no problem with your gold nib.

14 K is robust...18-22K is not robust....and need a real light Hand, in 18-22 K bend and stay bent, where a good 14 K nib springs back.

Living in Germany and using German Ebay...I had a forest of vintage semi-flex to pick from so never chased Japaneses pens. I have read about the Falcon nib...one of the better modern nibs.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nice!

I have a Platinum Century on the way (from J-Subculture at nearly half the price my usual stationary supplier charges) and a Parker Century I have my eyes on with 14k nibs and looking forward to them. I have also paid for a Ratnamson gold nibbed ebonite pen but have doubts as to whether it will turn up :(

I hope your Ratnamson shows up soon! And congrats on getting a Platinum Century for half price.

Debbie

Congrats on the new pen.

Pilot falcon is a very nice pen. Just don't put it too hard, the nib is never be designed as a full flex one.

And of course, beware of the addiction. It might hit you faster than you realize :D

Thanks for the tip re: not being hard on the nib -- I have seen others say this about the Pilot Falcon as well, so am being super-careful.

As for addiction, I am already WAY addicted to fountain pens. I only received my first (Lamy Safari) as a gift in October, and since then I've acquired around a dozen pens (including a Noodler's Ahab which I still have to master), more Lamy Safaris, Kaweco Sports, Platinum Preppies as well as becoming obsessed with inks and paper.

Falling falling falling down the rabbit hole....

Debbie

Wow what a lovely pen! It must be amazing living in Canada/UK/America. You get so much choice!

I like the complementary lollipop!

round-letter-exc.png round-postcard-exc.png

Here's a couple of Namiki Falcon videos for inspiration:

OK - Now I have a new life goal: To learn to write as beautifully as the person doing those videos. Amazing.

Edit: Anybody have an idea what paper is being written on? Sorry to thread jack a little.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Wow what a lovely pen! It must be amazing living in Canada/UK/America. You get so much choice!

I like the complementary lollipop!

It's a beautiful pen! And I love writing with it.

Yes, the lollipop's fun! :-)

You don't get as much choice where you are, then?

Debbie

Thanks for the tip re: not being hard on the nib -- I have seen others say this about the Pilot Falcon as well, so am being super-careful.

Just adding my two cents to this thought. . . I don't think it should be necessary to be "super-careful" as your normal handwriting is unlikely to harm it. These nibs get damaged when people try to do copperplate style loop-de-loop effects, which fountain pens in general aren't really made for.

On the other hand, cultivating a lighter grip with fountain pens is worthwhile, if you've done a lot of writing with ballpoints in the past. (Yes, this was a problem for me!)

Edited by tonybelding

It is my impression the two pens shown have been made more flexible than the normal Flacon.

It does go to 4 X over it's very narrow Japanese "EF".

Normal from what I've read the Falcon nib is a 'Springy' nib, one that has good tine bend but only 2 X like a modern MB or the Lamy Imporium.

I was very impressed with that new Lamy's nib....even if it was only 2X tine spread.

Semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex are 3 X tine spread with good tine bend.

Those improved Falcon nibs do some very good work. I'd need to use a Maxi-semi-flex and learn how to write to match the the Mottshaw improvements.

In fact I'd have to go to Easy Full Flex.....the first stage of Superflex....before wet noodle to match that improved nib.

Debbie is yours a regular Falcon nib or a master piece from Mottshaw?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Next on your list is a semi-flex Geha 790 or Pelikan 140/400nn. :thumbup:

They will be your Falcon nib +.

First enjoy your new pen. It is a pretty pen.

If you hold your pen behind the big knuckle and grasp it like a featherless baby bird, there should be no problem with your gold nib.

14 K is robust...18-22K is not robust....and need a real light Hand, in 18-22 K bend and stay bent, where a good 14 K nib springs back.

Living in Germany and using German Ebay...I had a forest of vintage semi-flex to pick from so never chased Japaneses pens. I have read about the Falcon nib...one of the better modern nibs.

Sorry - for some reason I missed your comment earlier.

Thanks for the tip about the nibs! I am putting those on my "to check out" list.

And thanks also for the tip about the featherless baby bird handling. :-D

Debbie