• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• torstar

• Noihvo

• praxim

I do not post unless failure to do so makes the pen too short to use efficiently or leads to imbalance. I prefer to prevent posting scratches and not add to those that may already be on a vintage pen (although I agree that it is often simple to remove them if they are not significant).

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

I do not post unless failure to do so makes the pen too short to use efficiently or leads to imbalance. I prefer to prevent posting scratches and not add to those that may already be on a vintage pen (although I agree that it is often simple to remove them if they are not significant).

Likewise, which means only two or three of all of my pens get posted.. Additionally, one of my pens excludes posting on manufacturer advice.

It has always been the case that I prefer not to post so I guess some of the responses represent a continuation of early learning about what is comfortable in all the circumstances.

X

When the nun showed the class to uncap and post the cap, that was what we learned.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The funny thing is the Lamy pens (cp1 and pur) are designed to be posted.

But when I post those pens, they become tail heavy and off balanced, and become awkward to write with.

Why couldn't they make a lighter cap, or a heavier section, so it balances when posted.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

When the nun showed the class to uncap and post the cap, that was what we learned.

And the consequences of drifting off for that lesson?

The funny thing is the Lamy pens (cp1 and pur) are designed to be posted.

But when I post those pens, they become tail heavy and off balanced, and become awkward to write with.

Why couldn't they make a lighter cap, or a heavier section, so it balances when posted.

Depends on the pen as well, the MB Proust is a dream posted and the Verne is a nightmare for balance.

Waxing your pen, stops posting mars. :thumbup:

Semi-chrome removes mars easy.....I only had a few mars in the many used pens I bought. Could be some folks don't jamb the top on pounding it with their palm.

I wax my pens and have no new posting mars. I post all my medium-small, standard, medium-large and a couple Large pens that surprise me by having balance.

As a kid in the '50-60's as far as I could remember everyone posted. Outside of that shocking Snorkel....all the pens I ever saw were medium-long or standard sized. I thought almost all my life a Snorkel was medium-large like a P-51.

It wasn't until I put my Snorkel next to my Safari, did I get shocked finding out the thing great balanced Snorkel...was a large pen.

I do post my modern Large 146...it's light enough to do so. The other Large pen I post is the Snorkel....P-45 also.

The rest of my Large pens are too top heavy posted.

I find medium-small pens like the 140/Geha 760/Kaweco Dia (Medium-small was once very IN!) have longer caps so they post to standard Estie DJ/400/P-75 size. Posting has all to do with giving the medium-small, standard and medium-large pens the fine balance they have. Medium-large pens like the 600 or P51 IMO are better balanced posted.

Most of my Large pens do not have balance...unposted nor posted.

I have a '50's medium large 146 that has great balance, the slightly younger '70-80's 146 has not near the balance of the older smaller 146's.

I do find the 146 to be better balanced than the 800.

Many folks refuse to post their medium-small, standard, or medium-large pens fro religious reasons...... and then have the nerve to complain bitterly how small they are :headsmack: :doh: .....when posted they are longer and much better balanced than un-posted Large or Giant Oversized pens like a 149/1000.

There is a respected poster here, who refuses to post his standard pens...he however never complains they are too small. :thumbup:

Sigh...I think he's missing the great balance posted smaller than large pens have.

I have noticed that too few folks ever talk about great balance of their pens.....could well be most of their pens are Large pens and have none. :wallbash:

Or they just don't know what balance is. ....don't want to post a standard sized pen with guts to find out either. :bunny01:

The thin elegant well balanced Snorkel shocked me....it was a Large pen.

Back in the days of pens having guts they had to have balance too....in folks wrote all day long.

Balance was a major selling point back in the day of One Man, One Pen!

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ditto here...I do not post the 149, but do post my 146s; however, the Doue silver cap and the gold cap one seem to get a little weighty on the end when I post

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

I have always posted my pens (60+ years)

I refuse to buy a pen that can't be posted

Going unposted is like going commando :yikes:

👍+1 for commando

I primarily use a Namiki (Pilot) Falcon for my everyday work, and find that posting the cap makes the weight feel more balanced. It is almost 8 years old and you have to look really hard to see any marring on the finish, lucky I suppose.

Mostly don't post. Unless I do. Some pens always, others never, still others hit and miss.

P51 always

Al Star never

P45 more often than not

3776 and the M200's hit and miss, but more now than in the past.

TWSBI'S never

Esterbrook more often than not.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

While I don't post my pens aggressively, I think that I post almost all of the pens that I use.
I like pens around the size and weight of a posted Parker 51, so most of my pens feel very comfortable when posted.

As long as we're on the subject of posting, I will bring up this classic Sheaffer ad, featuring Vivian Vance heavily twisting the cap onto the back of a snorkel (!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_usO41JNt0k

Like many others here, I decide pen to pen. Two pens feel like golf pencils in my hand if I don't post; so I've always posted those. But for most of my pens, I've gone back and forth. I've gone through long periods when I always posted certain pens, followed by periods when I never did. Right now, I don't think there's any pattern. For most pens, it's a different deal every day.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

For those who need the exercise, they can always post their Jinhao 159s...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

[…]

I have noticed that too few folks ever talk about great balance of their pens.....could well be most of their pens are Large pens and have none. :wallbash:

Or they just don't know what balance is. ....don't want to post a standard sized pen with guts to find out either. :bunny01:

[…]

fpn_1483781823__img_2586.jpg

fpn_1483781840__img_2587.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Big hands, long fingers, so I post everything, plus I do like the added weight. Sole exception is a Platinum Izumo Tagayasan which has a long body, so don't need to post for length, and which doesn't seemed to be designed with posting in mind - the cap won't sit securely and the metal threads mar the glossy finish on the wood.

Not even slightly on topic, Noihvo, but may I ask what the rather attractive dark orange ink you're using in your Century is?