To Post Cap, Or Not To Post?

Peruvian

Happy New Year All!

I know this question and topic has been covered many times, but I feel I need the answer to it myself. My Montblanc 146 un-posted doesn't feel quite right in my hand. It feels a bit flimsy, small, too lightweight. However, when I post the cap, it feels just right. I do not plan on getting rid of this pen, therefore, I am not worried about re-sale value, or anything like that. Since it feels good to my hand to post the cap, should I keep using it that way, or should I try to avoid posting the cap?

Your help and wisdom is much appreciated!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• torstar

• Jamesbeat

• praxim

I don't like the end of the unposted pen jabbing into the fleshy webbing between my thumb and index finger, the 146 sticks, the 149 doesn't.

Otherwise I'm fickle and hit or miss about posting or not.

[146s will always be sellable...]

Edited by torstar

I concur. The 146 is a much better experience posted. The extra weight makes it a better writing experience.

I find this with most of my resin pens.

If your writing experience is better posted, then post.

You should do exactly what suits you best.

Posting controversies, when they come up here, always strike me as slightly odd. I prefer pens where posting is possible, doesn't throw the balance off, and is not likely to cause serious scratches to the finish or decorations. Other people have different preferences, both for the pens they buy, and whether they post them. There's no "should" about it.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

It is your pen, if it is comfortable posted, post it.

For me posting/unposting depends. Generally, out of habit, I will post the pen, except for:

• Collector pens, I do not post, to preserve the finish of the body.
  • Balance. If the cap is heavy and posting makes the pen tail heavy, I do not post. Example, all my Lamy pens become tail heavy when posted, so I don't post.
  • Weight. If the pen is HEAVY, I do not post, to make the pen lighter in my hand. I prefer my pens down at about 15 grams.
  • If someone wants to borrow the pen, I make them use the pen unposted. I hang on to the cap, so that I get the pen back. Or they get a BIG ink spot on their shirt, for taking my pen.

I have somewhat small hands, so I do not need to post, for the pen to fit my hand. Well except for the "mini" pens.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

It is your pen, if it is comfortable posted, post it.

+1

FWIW I don't post my 146.

Edited by carlos.q

• If someone wants to borrow the pen, I make them use the pen unposted. I hang on to the cap, so that I get the pen back. Or they get a BIG ink spot on their shirt, for taking my pen.

This is great advice!

Regarding posting or not, I just do whatever feels right for the pen in my hand. Usually posted unless it's my Jinhao x750 because it's a heavy pen.

I post all my pens, vintage, or modern. All are writers, none especially delicate or rare. I have noticed I handle my pens gently, not baby them, but not use much force to cap or post them compared to others so am not inherently worried that extra force is being applied to the cap. As far as marking the barrel, eh.....the majority of my pens are 50-80 years old, and I have yet to make any impression that is noticeable compared to what was already present over decades of use or lack of.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Thank you all! I heard what I needed to hear from each one of you. Much appreciated!!

Cheers

How amusing. I post my 146. These threads about posting caps come up again and again. No one should be surprised with all the individuals here who have strong opinions and who have found out what works for them through personal experience. I usually post caps, but one pen, the TWSBI 530, just feels awkward posted.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hello Peruvian,

As everyone else has said, do what is most comfortable for your writing style. :)

That said, by posting it, you're going to start getting fine scratches and rub marks on the barrel. If those bother you, they can usually be buffed away with a microfiber cloth and some Novus #1 or #2. :) (Start with #1, that's the least aggressive formula and it may be all that's needed).

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Lighter pens (i.e. Lamy 2000, Parker 51) I post, heavier pens (Kaigelu 316, Jinhao 159) definitely not.

It's your pen, your hand, do what feels best.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Depends on pen. If indoors I normally don't post. If i'm out I do to prevent mislaying the top.

Edited by matteob

I never post my pens, even the Kaweco Sport or Pilot Elite. There is nothing wrong with the pen but i prefer to have something to hold on the other hand while writing.

So just do as what you feel the best. Don't worry about the balance, weight, etc, they are all theory.

If you are worried about wrecking the pen by posting it, then you have the wrong pen.

Go get yourself a good vintage workhorse pen that has tons of posting scratches and enjoy it.

I post. I don't post. It's entirely dependent on the comfort at that moment. Like others, I sometimes like the to have the cap in my other hand while I write... I'm not sure why, it's just nice. But I'll often post majority of my pens unless it's a heavier one not meant for posting.

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page.