What Pens Are You Using Today 2017

RMN

A red Lamy Safari. Found an old Lamy 1.1 nib I'd bought and then never really used, grabbed some wire cutters and went to obliterate some tipping. Two minutes of micro-mesh later and it writes better than ever before. Alas, it means that my black F nib will go back into storage - shame about that, it looked nice with that pen. Maybe I'll get my badly-stocked brick-and-mortar-store to order some more black Lamy nibs - I love those things, they look so cool.

Now I'll only have to finish writing with that fill of Lamy Black and then put a nice red ink in there.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/Guardevoir/Pen%20and%20Writing%20Stuff/DSC_0053.jpg

Still with the old nib; can't take a newer picture right now, as one of my darling family members "borrowed" my camera charging thing and I'm all out of battery.

Edited by Guardy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mallymal1

• tgoto

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two pens in rotation today:

Sailor 1911S with the plain old black Sailor cartridge, and a Picasso 918 with Diamine Prussian Blue. I still need to run the ink out of a couple of TWSBI pens, so they may go into use later this evening, or maybe tomorrow. The Vac 700 has Diamine Pumpkin in it, and the Eco has Iro Tsutsuji. All are XF nibs, except the Picasso. Not sure what it is. Maybe what they call a medium, but it may be a fine. Hard to tell. It's inked up solely so that I can play with it.

The Sailor is more of my new "go to" pen. I utterly adore how it writes. :cloud9:

fpn_1488098593__montblanc_and_pelikan_to

Excuse the photography. My 12 years old Canon Powershot S2 iS with 12 X optical zoom is great for capturing a bald eagle sitting in a distant tree, but not so much for fountain pen macro photography.

Edited by max dog

I hand-wrote a few pen reviews today (which I'll leave lying about for a year or so until I have the motivation to scan 'em), so I used...

Jinhao 159 (Diamine Oxblood) - I'm still mildly amused by how massive this pen is. I don't use it much anymore, but every time I do, I'm surprised by its quality.

Jinhao x450 (Standardgraph violet) - I love this one

Jinhao x450 (Pelikan 4001 dark green) - this one has a home-ground crisp italic; my best one so far*. It's pretty glorious for what it is.

Parker 75 (Quink Black) - I'm still extremely un-impressed by this pen

Parker 45 (Quink Black) - but extremely impressed by this one

Lamy Safari (Lamy Black) - 1.1 stub with tip snapped off. It's very broad now, but the feed still keeps up pretty decently.

Lamy AL-Star (Diamine Saddle Brown) - it has an EF nib, which plays very nicely with the ink. Classy and very readable.

Kaigelu 316 (Standardgraph cornflower or sky blue) - It's a nice color combination. The pen is the Tiger's Eye version, and the ink is a complementary color and the result really pops

Wing Sung 322 (Pelikan 4001 dark green) - I actually ordered two more of those today - one red one for myself because I love this pen, and another green one for my accordion teacher because she liked it a lot, too, after I let her write with it... and her fountain pen handwriting is absolutely glorious.

Wing Sung 233 (Pelikan 4001 royal blue) - different ink than usual, mitigated the dry-out issue to some extent. I love this pen, even though I don't really know why.

Noodler's Ahab (Standardgraph violet) - at least until it puked the rest of its ink over my hands and paper. I actually quite like the nib - it may not be great for serious calligraphy, but it's totally adequate for some fancy additions to everyday writing - but my pen is an unreliable, burpy mess. I finally eyedropper-filled it with Diamine Saddle Brown afterwards, to see if some of the issues stem from the plunger not being airtight or something like that. It'll probably end with an angry Guardy and about 6 ml of brown ink all over the place, but it's worth a try.

*I've done a few of those, but always under difficult circumstances. Two broken, cheap vintage nibs (one Ero Inkus nib with a heavily twisted, brittle tip and one un-tipped Dauerfeder), one over-polished and overly stubby 1.1 Lamy nib (which was thus very broad to begin with) and now the Jinhao nib, which was exceedingly easy to work with. I bought a ten-pack of them from ebay afterwards, to go on and give a few more of my x450's italic nibs, as some of them have nibs that are way too nice to modify.

Bexley Celebration Independence Red, White, and Blue.

BF... soft fine nib..filled w/ Pilot Blue Black ink.......

fpn_1488150147__yelxebnoitarbelec.jpg

Fred

Ladies and Gents.................Please excuse the Dreaded Double Post {DDP}...........

Fred

The best cure for insomnia.............plenty of sleep..........W. C. Fields

Edited by Freddy

Of a few inked the only one I have picked up so far today is a Waterman 52, an 0552 with Waterman Brown.

X

Did the books and bills this morning with a Kakuno EF (white body blue cap) filled with Noodler's Black Swan in Aussie Roses. I know, not the best nib for that ink but I like it sometimes.

And when the afternoon running notes and journal time came I pulled out a lovely little MB 144 filled with MB JFK. Pelikan 4001 Blue Black is my favorite BlBk but I'm growing fond of the JFK too.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Just received Aurora Mare with medium nib.

It has a little too much feedback, so I am planning to smooth out the nib a little bit.

Otherwise a great pen!

The grip is great and right size for my small-size hand (for a guy).

post-134999-0-89204900-1488250589_thumb.jpeg

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Tonight will be the M300 with Kana-cho Midnight, sporting the EF nib that arrived today! I was concerned that the EF would be too fine but I needn't have worried, it's perfect! The line is a little heavier than the Fs on my 150s and 200 but well within reason and a darn sight better than the M it came with.

:bunny01:

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Pelikan Demonstrator M200 with a F nib. Pilot Custom 74 Violet Demonstrator with M nib. Sailor Pro Gear Slim in Blueberry with F nib.

Tested an 88P today while doing, stuff. First problem was to make it write (a stint in the USC) then to stop the leak around the threads (thanks, silicone grease) and now I need to deal with the suction leak around the feed -- ink emerges when you remove the well-fitting cap. It writes very well from a fine nib, using my test vial of Waterman publ (blurple, less economically).

X