Need Help Dating 2 Pelikan Brand Inks

SolarSaiko

Hello! I'm an artist who works occasionally in ink, and as of last year I acquired two Pelikan brand inks. They look to be older inks by the labeling but I'm not exactly sure how old. I don't expect them to be very old considering they were mostly full when I received them and the place I received them from was built in the 90s (so they had to have been left there during or after that time). I have pictures of the two inks down below; if anyone could help give a date or even an approximate for these I'd greatly appreciate it!

1.) Pelikan Fount India Ink In Black

http://i.imgur.com/i5iObRxl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/F0cQiy3l.jpg

It's a little hard to see the numbers on the bottom but they read 78 19 across.

http://i.imgur.com/i2gF9ZHl.jpg

2.) Pelikan Drawing Ink in Prussian Blue

http://i.imgur.com/27w7MCyl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0PhRGP3l.jpg

If any other information or pictures of these inks would be helpful please feel free to ask and I'll try to respond to the best of my ability.

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SolarSaiko

• Bo Bo Olson

• sargetalon

• siamackz

Hello. There isn't a really good repository of info for dating these bottles. Certainly no more recently than the 90's. I'd say the top bottle is 90's vintage and the bottom bottle is probably a bit older but that's just based on what I've seen over the years. I'm not qualified to narrow the dates down any better than that for you. Perhaps if you write to the company with some enclosed pics, they might be able to give you the information that you seek.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Hello. There isn't a really good repository of info for dating these bottles. Certainly no more recently than the 90's. I'd say the top bottle is 90's vintage and the bottom bottle is probably a bit older but that's just based on what I've seen over the years. I'm not qualified to narrow the dates down any better than that for you. Perhaps if you write to the company with some enclosed pics, they might be able to give you the information that you seek.

Thank you for your insight. Sorry about posting here but I figured maybe someone would be able to help me, and someone did! Approximate dates were really all I was after at the moment so your information is perfect. If I have any further questions about these inks I'll be sure to write the company, thank you for pointing me in the right direction (I was terribly lost before)!

Solar...don't apologize for proper questions. We love learning worthless stuff....for the joy of it. :W2FPN:

In the beginning one is 'ignorant' of everything...then after years....nearly everything...and I am ignorant of ancient inks and their bottles; among other things.

Today after Sargetalon's explanation....I am a bit less ignorant than yesterday....which is all we can hope for.

If you do write the company...we want to know....on account we's nosy.

What pens do you have?

What other inks do you own?

Where did you get your best paper?

Nosy! :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Solar...don't apologize for proper questions. We love learning worthless stuff....for the joy of it. :W2FPN:

In the beginning one is 'ignorant' of everything...then after years....nearly everything...and I am ignorant of ancient inks and their bottles; among other things.

Today after Sargetalon's explanation....I am a bit less ignorant than yesterday....which is all we can hope for.

If you do write the company...we want to know....on account we's nosy.

What pens do you have?

What other inks do you own?

Where did you get your best paper?

Nosy! :D

Hello! Thank you for your comment! It was super kind and honestly very uplifting! I'm glad you were able to benefit some as well. Unfortunately, I don't actually own a fountain pen (I'd love to have one, just haven't purchased one! If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear!), I found this forum in my search for Pelikan ink bottles like mine and decided to join so I could ask the forum about them! I do however have a lot of inks that I work in for my art. My latest addition being a wonderfully metallic gold by Winsor & Newton! As for paper, I tend to be a sketchbook and journal paper junkie. My current favorites for ink art are Strathmore bristol board and a watercolor paper that I can't recall the brand of at the moment.

Art papers are not good fountain pen papers.

You didn't mention which continent you are on...makes it hard to tell you what to buy and where.

There are some very good nibbed Japanese pens that can bought in Staples....$15 or so from my reading....living in Germany I don't pay much attention to Staples.

...the only problem is your eye would then be calibrated in Mark two eyeball....for the thinner than marked Japanese norm.

That would make all western pens you ever see afterwards fat nibbed. :rolleyes:

If you were to buy a Pelikan 200, you can buy other nibs that are wider or narrower than the one you got for @ $27 each.....and your eye would be calibrated in Mark One Eyeball....for the 'normal' Western nib.....and then the Japanese nib would always be correctly....too narrow for marking. :P

A Pelikan 200 which can be bought used...is a life time pen...no reason you can't leave it to your grand kid.

For the other inks you have Winsor & Newton, there are dip pen nibs that go from stiff ornamental to as flexible as a wet noodle...to them that are so flexible, they flex when there is an earthquake in California.

In spite of what they might say.....Winsor & Newton inks are not good for fountain pens.

There are inks and folks here that do art with inks.....perhaps someone can link you to them.

There is a world of inks....some of which can be used or made to do watercolor tricks. Some are permanent and bind to the paper.

There are also inks with sheen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 year later...

Hello! I'm an artist who works occasionally in ink, and as of last year I acquired two Pelikan brand inks. They look to be older inks by the labeling but I'm not exactly sure how old. I don't expect them to be very old considering they were mostly full when I received them and the place I received them from was built in the 90s (so they had to have been left there during or after that time). I have pictures of the two inks down below; if anyone could help give a date or even an approximate for these I'd greatly appreciate it!

1.) Pelikan Fount India Ink In Black

http://i.imgur.com/i5iObRxl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/F0cQiy3l.jpg

It's a little hard to see the numbers on the bottom but they read 78 19 across.

http://i.imgur.com/i2gF9ZHl.jpg

2.) Pelikan Drawing Ink in Prussian Blue

If any other information or pictures of these inks would be helpful please feel free to ask and I'll try to respond to the best of my ability.

Thank you in advance!

Found in 1973 catalogue:

fpn_1519903032__screen_shot_2018-03-01_a

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link