Wish Me Luck When I Get These...

gweimer1

This is another "it pays to look at the fine print" topics. I just got the winning bid on a set of 5 Esterbrook pens. Actually, it was listed as 4 pens, with a bonus pen tossed in. Take a look at the nib on the bonus pen.....8440

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTERBROOK-FOUNTAIN-PEN-LOT-OF-4-GREY-SILVER-BLUE-AND-GREEN-/112251714510?nma=true&si=9DxghrN%252F6CFOycStMGsy3yDFanM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It doesn't even matter, since I got a really good price on the whole lot.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8TMAAOSwnHZYZG5T/s-l1600.jpg

Edited by gweimer1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• corgicoupe

• inkstainedruth

• Rosymomma

What is special about the 8440?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

What is special about the 8440?

They are really rare, and would generally, in good shape, cost me more for the nib alone what I'm paying for all five pens combined. Now, I have to wait and see what shape it's in.

Oh YOU'RE the one who got them (I wondered if you were following that). I was watching the listing but feeling a bit poor after the Christmas trip to the East Coast and back. :bawl: I figured that they might go even higher than that -- so yes, you did really well (especially given that 8440 nib -- and yes, I did notice that, which is partly why the listing was on my watch list).

Nice score. Completely jealous of course.

@corgicoupe -- an 8440 nib is a superfine nib, and also known as a cartography nib. I want to get my hands on one someday, in case the regular EF nibs don't put down a narrow enough line for my husband's taste (I gave him a red J for his birthday a couple of years ago, with the understanding that I will swap out the nib on it for something more to the liking of the BIC fine point user, after I get the pen re-sacced). And that nib unit can go for more than Gary paid for all five pens in the lot.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The funny thing is, I was expecting a much higher price. My winning bid was the one I put in two days ago (and not even the max then), and my last second bump wasn't even needed.

So much to learn [and to remember with immediate recall].

Robert Frost

The rule of thumb for Esterbrooks is this - you'll find your best nib deals with pens already attached. That's why I spend way too much time looking closely at eBay listings.

Great luck. Can't wait to see what condition you find it in. I too have found the best nibs can be found attached to a pen that may just be mediocre, although, I recently scored an icicle with a 9128 attached for less than $60- so both a great pen and a nib that appears to be harder to find. I seem to have become addicted to the Esties and can be found looking thru ebay and etsy nearly daily.

I paid a bit too much a few years ago, bidding on an Estie SJ with a 9128 nib, by not doing proper due diligence. The nib was basically bent into an S shape, if you looked at it in profile. Which clearly showed on the photos after I went back and looked.... :headsmack:

Then about a year and a quarter ago, I stumbled onto another SJ with a 9128 nib -- for less money than I'd paid for the first one -- in the wild. The booth across the aisle was charging $10-20 US more for more boring nibs. Go figure.

I doubt I'm gonna find an 8440 in the wild (although anything is possible -- after all, last summer I met someone with a copper (J or LJ, I think) with a 9312 nib: she was excited that I knew what an Esterbrook *was*; I was excited that find out that 9312s actually existed, and weren't just a figment of the imagination on the list of nibs on Brian Anderson's website... :rolleyes:). I think I was looking for another nib and that lot came up in the search; and the pen with the 8440 nib was just gravy....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

​ETA: I'm the one, BTW, who asked about what the nibs in that lot were. I'm betting that the "9558" is actually a 9668.... Also that the seller didn't really know what he/she had, by throwing in the 8440 nib pen as a "bonus" instead of selling it separately.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am happy you were able to get these pens; there is nobody I believe more deserving than you to get any Esterbrook you find. You do your homework & put many of these back into the world to spread the joy of the brand & always @ prices that a user can afford. I will always be grateful for the opportunity of purchasing mine from you.

^^^^^^^^ Agree.

Robert Frost

Thanks, all. And, I'm fairly certain that if that 8440 nib is good, it will be on a pen for sale on my Etsy page before too long.

Ruth - I agree that the seller tossed in that pen/nib without really understanding what it was. My good fortune!

I got the pens today. The 8440 was caked in dried ink, but after a short water/ammonia bath, it came clean. As I suspected from the photos, the two-tone gold plate has worn off, but still shows in the imprints. Other than that, this nib is perfectly good, and writes pretty nicely. I'll tease you all by saying that it could very well pop up on a pen listed on my Etsy shop before the end of the month.