The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

I'm Pretty Sure I Screwed This Up Myself...

esterbrook leak nib feed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jrkotrla

jrkotrla

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 00:31

So...

I got a cool Fern Green Esterbrook J (with 1 cap) and really like the thing.

the pen.jpg

The body of the pen has a crack around the cap-threads, but it's only apparent when removing the section and bladder.

Which I did. because I wanted to see it. but that's not the issue.

The issue is the constant seepage of ink around the feed/section interface.

the leak.jpg

Again, I took the feed and nib out, but this time for a good reason! It was 0.1mm off-center and bugging me.

So now it leaks, it gets into the cap, it spreads onto the section and gets on my fingers. 

the cap.jpg

How to fix it?

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:15

I am a bit of a novice at this but I would start by cleaning the section inside and out. You should be able to remove the residual ink with a wet rag and some q-tips. I'm not a big fan of soaking pens and use the manual method of cleaning.

Again being a novice at these I tend to use copious amounts of heat on the barrel when removing or inserting the section. Best to leave the Renew Point in place to avoid crushing the section which can be brittle.

In my limited experience with Green Esterbrooks, I would suggest two possible causes:

A) a crack in the section
B) a loose Renew Point--I don't know what you mean by off a mm but I'm guessing nib/lever alignment.*

You might want to wash out the cap as well.

*Contrary to popular belief, the nib and lever do not need to line up and if you think about it you will understand why.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 jrkotrla

jrkotrla

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:19

Nah, I meant that the feed and the tines were off, the tip of the feed was just slightly to the side and it was (aesthetically) bugging the hell outa me. 

Think I'll try removing the nib & feed again. On this pen they aren't one unit, but separate. See if I can reinsert them and have less leakage.

I hope the section's not cracked. I like this little pen.

Thanks!

#4 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 18:25

Think I'll try removing the nib & feed again. On this pen they aren't one unit, but separate. See if I can reinsert them and have less leakage.

I hope the section's not cracked. I like this little pen.

Thanks!

If you are removing the nib and feed w/o a collar, then the collar in stuck inside the section.

Is the ink sac NEW?  An old sac could have a tiny air leak which would be the cause for a drip.  If in doubt, replace the sac, it could be 50+ years old.

If the feed+nib are not seated well, you could have an air leak around the nib+feed which could cause the ink leak you have.

And if the feed+nib are seated well, you would have great difficulty in pulling it out, they have to be knocked out from the back.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#5 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:10

All Esterbrook J pens have the screw-in Renew Point assembly that includes the nib, feed, and the collar into which the nib and feed are a press fit and which is in turn threaded on the outside to screw into the section.

If you are pulling the nib and feed out of the section without the collar, then the collar is either stuck in the section or maybe missing altogether.  Dried ink could have the collar stuck in place, and a combination of soaking and heat may be necessary to get it to unscrew.  I've not had one so stuck that it would not unscrew with the nib and feed, so I can't advise on how you may get a grip on the collar to unscrew it - maybe by inserting the nib and feed as tightly as you can and using them to unscrew the collar.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, leak, nib, feed

Sponsored Content

|