• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• Stylo_dOr

I won't buy a pen unless I can say, "That's a good value."

It may be a good value because it works and it's inexpensive. It may be a good value, because it's made of an interesting material. It may be a good value because it's a medium priced pen that offers medium or better quality. It may be a good value because it's beautiful. It may be a good value because it writes wonderfully. It may be a very expensive pen that offers something special making it worth the price.

Therefore, I won't buy a new Montblanc at current prices. For example, the Meisterstuck 146 is a really good pen. But new it costs several hundred dollars too much. I can't say that extra money is getting me anything I want. So I won't buy it. There are more expensive pens I would consider good values, but new Montblancs are not good values in my judgment.

Boris & Natashia were from Pottsylvania not Russia or Nazi Germany.

It's about association, not fact-checking. Pottsylvania is a Soviet bloc (nobody said Russian) country anyhoo. This highly-detailed map proves it:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7EcK2j3S2Rw/VUj9RDQ-EII/AAAAAAAAmyo/-VYtqmgMm3Y/s1600/Map_of_Pottsylvania.jpg

You'd buy a pen from Pottsylvania wouldn't you?

Of course. That's where Maxwell Smart got his.

Edited by Manalto

James

What Pen Won't You Buy?

Any pen that I don't like.

Fred

My name is Edith Ann

And that's the truth {blowing a raspberry}

I cannot stand metal sections. I only have two pens with them: FC Emotion and Lamy 2000.

^^^^ Yahtzee! That, right there.... I hate 'em. Cannot stand the feel of a metal section (applicable to metal bodies/barrels as well). Utterly detest 'em. Surprisingly though, I also have to admit that I don't care for them much either.

Boris & Natashia were from Pottsylvania not Russia or Nazi Germany. You'd buy a pen from Pottsylvania wouldn't you?

LoL... I have a pretty Soyuz FP/Pencil set from Leningrad circa '50s early '60s named Boris and Natasha. Quality is.. ehhhhh.. but still a sweet set. I hear Pottsylvania is also the home of fabulous herbs. Inspirational even.

Like jar said. Within a week or so of saying "I'll never..." I am proven a liar. So while I'm not saying never ever, I am highly unlikely to purchase anything with a hooded nib, inlaid nib, or conical nib. I will take them as a gift though. Anything that looks so luxurious it would never leave the house. Alright... I lied again. I don't think there's any pen so luxurious I would keep it only for show. Only thing that could make a pen stay just for show is it doesn't work at all, and I don't buy pens that don't work at all. Complete non-starter. Unless it's bought for parts.... *sigh*

John Theivagt

Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

-- excerpt from "Digging" by Seamus Heaney

Me, too. I'll comment in an fpn thread that I have, say, eight pens in rotation; the next day, I'm antsy and have to take at least four out. And then bump it back up over the following week to eight or maybe nine.

I'll say I'm done buying pens -- and then I'll be sorely tempted before the day ends. Or that I'm going to buy a certain pen... and then decide off-fpn that naaaah, I don't really want it.

In other words, I have to be careful about what I say on fpn!

As for pens I won't buy, the answer (right now!) is pretty much all of them. I'm satisfied with the pens I have (yes, I am!), even though I might sell one or two still, maybe, and I am eyein' a couple of pens that I kindv want. But for the most part... I've shifted my focus to writing. I certainly have more pens than I need for that.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I don't think I would buy any new pens. Most of the ones I have bought in recent years have proven to dry up far faster than older pens made from the 1960s through the early 1980s. I don't need any more of them anyway. I am picking up some parts to fix older pens, so a pen for parts is a possibility.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I never quite figured out why Fearless Leader was German. Well, Stalin wasn't really Russian, either.

• 2 weeks later...

I never quite figured out why Fearless Leader was German. Well, Stalin wasn't really Russian, either.

Fearless Leader was, intruth, a member of the (East) German Prussian family von Leehderwiscz, Natasha was an ethnic Albanian who was recruited by the spattzi of Pottsylvania, both dedicated to the cause. Stalin, on the other hand was born an ethnic Georgian which became a part of the proletariat CCCP in 1922. He's as much a Russian as you are an American instead of a Californian. This thread is unraveling but this is a free country not bound by any rules at all. Such is freedom in America! Anyway, I happen to know that neither Boris nor Stalin would purchase a German fountain pen. They all got Parkers from the GIs who were issued them in a pack with Camels, Hershey Bars, Nylon Stockings, condoms, and a French/German/Russian/Italian/English/Japanese/Arabic/Czech/Hungarian/Rom/Celtic/Maori/Pacific Islander mini- translation book, along with $100 in gold, and the contact of a girl named Shirley who likes sailors.

If I kept a list of not-to-buy pens, this is a rough draft and thus a work-in-progress of what it would look like:

GENERAL NOTES

• counterfeit
  • wooden
  • metal grip
  • same name as a car (if Delta ever makes an 88, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it)
  • same name as a clothing company
  • ridiculous name
  • ornate/gawdy/makes my eyes smart
  • cute (except A Christmas Story leg lamp design, maybe, if it's out there)
  • cap doesn't post
  • rose gold
  • full retail price
  • pink
  • pink-ish
  • "mid-size" c/c version if the full-size is piston-fill

SPECIFICS

• Michael's Fat Boy (all models)
  • Napkin Forever (all models)
  • David Oscarson (all models)
  • Hugo Boss (all models)
  • Bugati/Porsche/Ferrari (all models)
  • Aurora 88 medium
  • Montblanc Starwalker
  • Parker Ingenuity
  • Pelikan Stola
  • Shaw Creations (all models)
  • TF est. 1968 (all models)
  • Urso Luxury (all models)

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

The list is too big, we need a thread for which we will buy. For me I wont buy

Pens from India

Chinese brands

Montblanc

Visconti

Monteverde (they fall apart). Even the clerk whispered to me to keep away.

Twsbi

Diplomats are overpriced not that they are bad pens though.