The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using *show* Us!, 2017

• Please log in to reply
1305 replies to this topic

#1281 SNAK

SNAK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 23:48

Still rockin' the Hero 572, and having a bit of Friday fun.

fpn_1512131371__2_flexies.jpg

Hero 572. Diamine Florida Blue.

Parker New Slimfold. Diamine Sapphire Blue.

:)

Ian

Hi Ian, I like putting flexy nibs in various pen bodies too! Which semi-flex nibs did you stick in them, I am curious? I love your handwriting, as always, very distinctive. I like it when your letters slant to the left. 

BTW when did you change your Top Tip at the bottom of your signature? I liked your old one about not standing in a boat. A while ago I mentioned it to my son *just after* he fell into the water while trying to get onto his dad's canoe. It took me a few moments to explain how that tip was on a signature of one of FPN members who lives somewhere quite cold, while my son was bobbing in the water, and it seemed to have annoyed him quite a lot. I wonder if it was because I took too long to explain, or because he got wet?  ;)

Edited by SNAK, 05 December 2017 - 23:53.

Sponsored Content

#1282 Nikaa

Nikaa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:35

Red and white.

XAUB4O4l.jpg

YoOu10Cl.jpg

#1283 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

Education is important...But fountain pens are importanter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 13:45

Hi Ian, I like putting flexy nibs in various pen bodies too! Which semi-flex nibs did you stick in them, I am curious? I love your handwriting, as always, very distinctive. I like it when your letters slant to the left. 

BTW when did you change your Top Tip at the bottom of your signature? I liked your old one about not standing in a boat. A while ago I mentioned it to my son *just after* he fell into the water while trying to get onto his dad's canoe. It took me a few moments to explain how that tip was on a signature of one of FPN members who lives somewhere quite cold, while my son was bobbing in the water, and it seemed to have annoyed him quite a lot. I wonder if it was because I took too long to explain, or because he got wet?  ;)

Thanks Snak

Great story about the boat, I laughed out loud.  :lol:

I changed my top tip after I had a couple of days in hospital after being "knocked down" by a mountain biker who came down a hill at full tilt.

I never spotted or heard him coming, as I had my cans on and was in a wee world of my own, I turned into his path to see where the dog was,.......... and woke up in A&E.  :lticaptd:

The nibs are both stock nibs Snak.

Hero produced that nib in the late 90s and only had it in a few pens, but it wasn't particularly well received, as flex isn't really suited to writing Chinese characters, or Chinese calligraphy where a fude nib is best, and producing pens for export hadn't really "landed" at that time, but as you can see, it flexes considerably wider than the Parker, and is brilliant for handwriting, especially with my left slope as you mentioned.

The Parker New Slimfold was only around for a short while in the mid 70s, but didn't fare as well as the already well established and much loved P45, probably due to it being a bit smaller, but still well worth having for the 14k semi-flex nib alone, as it is wonderful to write with. 

Red and white.

XAUB4O4l.jpg

YoOu10Cl.jpg

Drooling over this magical colour combination, and the pens are both gorgeous.

What are the pens, if you'll excuse my ignorance.

Ian

It’s a well kent fact that Scotland (The Land Of The Rising Water) has the most beautiful, picturesque, colourful, history laden landscape in the world.

It’s just a shame that you can only look at it through a rain soaked car window.

Every cloud though,  If there was no rain, there’d be no RAINBOWS.

My top tip:-

If you are walking the dog through mountain bike country.....don't wear headphones.

#1284 parkerwasmyfirstlove

parkerwasmyfirstlove

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 19:28

38837864882_1d36316701_z_d.jpg

Got this Kaweco Sailor bundle from Bungu Box two weeks ago and am using it since.

#1285 _sam

_sam

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 19:36

Repost from introductions, original here: http://www.fountainp...t-louis-mo-usa/

My new boss always carries his Montblanc BP with him and I immediately was struck by the beauty in its design. After some research I found a good rate on a Pilot Sonnet RB and after using it for a couple days decided it wasn't for me, and thus began my adventure into the world of fountain pens.

Fast forward a few weeks of obsessively reading through the FPN forums and watching Brian Goulet's videos (no relation, just a happy customer)—last night I received 16 ink samples, a Lamy Safari Petrol XF and a Pilot Metropolitan F. I already had a Muji FP and a glass dip pen lying around so that is where my collection stands currently. 

I immediately tested all the inks I received and have shared the results below (please excuse the poor penmanship, I have yet to begin the rigorous journey of re-learning cursive I plan to embark on shortly.

COLLAGE_1.jpg

Unfortunately you cannot see the subtleties in many of the ink swatches due to my phone's potato-quality camera, but I was totally blown away by some, especially the Robert Oster inks. I will admit I was a bit disappointed by the Noodler's inks which everyone seems so fond of. I was excited to use them because of their "bulletproof" nature, but found the 54th Massachusetts and Bad Blue Heron particularly wet/runny. Is this a common complaint, or maybe it is just because I was using them with a glass dip pen and there wouldn't be an issue once I load them into a converter?

One thing that exceeded my expectation was how easy it is to use the Muji pen as an eyedropper. No o-ring, no special lubricant/sealant, just pour in the ink and go—I didn't even have an eyedropper so I just dumped the ink sample right in! It probably only filled up the pen 1/3 of the way at most, and there have been absolutely zero issues, very pleased!

So if you made it this far, hello, and thank you for all the knowledge and resources you have provided here! After just a few weeks I feel like I am already years ahead of where I should be and am excited to jump into this hobby headfirst. Ultimately, I would love to master calligraphy to the point that I can incorporate it into my art and professional life as a graphic designer.

#1286 Nikaa

Nikaa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 21:24

Drooling over this magical colour combination, and the pens are both gorgeous.

What are the pens, if you'll excuse my ignorance.

Ian

Thnak you!

The bigger one, red, is Pilot Falcon resin with SF. My new treasure ;) It is gorgeous - I can't stop using it! :)

The smaler one, with angel is Bexley Gaton's Angels no. 33/100, with wonderful stub gold nib :)

qWesxQsl.jpg

Edited by Nikaa, 06 December 2017 - 21:28.

#1287 EBGBs

EBGBs

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:39

That angel clip on your Bexley is... heavenly  :lol:

-_-

What a gorgeous pen!

#1288 EBGBs

EBGBs

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:04

At work with me today;

84257420171207174331.jpg

Montblanc J Swift and Visconti Voyager

I always enjoy matching teals with pink/purples. It's funny how a single colourful ink brightens your planner, notes, etc - and therefore your long day in the office.

#1289 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:08

Everybody has such gorgeous pens, and gorgeous writing, and gorgeous sketching skills so heres my mediocre effort from my new black thing! Its a Mabie Todd Jackdaw I waited ages for, and I love it! The ink is Iroshizuku Father Winter.

And the preview showed the pic the right way round! Oh well!

Attached Images

• 8C335490-081C-4C0C-9CB5-E9FC2361553D.jpeg

Edited by MercianScribe, 09 December 2017 - 05:11.

Hi, I'm Mat

This week's EDC: Pilot Penmanship (demo, B italic, Iroshizuku Old Man Winter/Pilot Blue mix), Preppy (red, 0.3), Preppy (green, 0.3), 

This week's home rotation: Watermans 12 PSF (XF-3B wet noodle, Diamine Red Dragon), Watermans 3J (B-4B broad flex stub, Pilot Blue)

#1290 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:19

Cool Jackdaw, both pen and drawing.

Ian

It’s a well kent fact that Scotland (The Land Of The Rising Water) has the most beautiful, picturesque, colourful, history laden landscape in the world.

It’s just a shame that you can only look at it through a rain soaked car window.

If you are walking the dog through mountain bike country.....don't wear headphones.

#1291 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 00:41

2ae43507465208e8aea333a107987e74.jpg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#1292 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 18:30

Waterman L'Etalon today

fpn_1512930561__20171210_111251_resized_

fpn_1512930626__20171210_111402_resized_

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

Looking for: surprise me!

#1293 perfaddict

perfaddict

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:16

fpn_1512983744__img_2171.jpg

#1294 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 14:36

fpn_1513002975__dolcevita.jpg

#1295 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 19:24

The ink filled the logo of this Lanbitou 3059 when I flushed the feed with ink. Cute.

RYZjbUo.jpg

Straightening my handwriting with blank paper.

#1296 Valkyrii

Valkyrii

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 19:31

Is this a Minimalistica? How do you feel about how the cap sits? Every time I see a demonstrator Conid with ink in it I question my decision to get the Cappuccino. It's a beautiful pen, but there is something about watching the ink 'slosh' around.

#1297 Bronze

Bronze

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:38

Too many!

AdXpjtm.jpg

#1298 Bronze

Bronze

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:49

Cool pen. What is it? Conid?

#1299 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:41

TriveniInkBall.jpg

Please forgive my total lack of photography skills. I somehow managed to destroy the plastic nib housing while swapping the nibs on this Triveni, so I removed it and replaced it with a 0.5mm inkball unit I had recently purchased from Authentic Expressions pen turning. The ink is standard Pelikan cartridges. It's working quite well so far. Don't worry, I'll be back to fountain pens soon enough...

Edited by SoulSamurai, 13 December 2017 - 04:42.

#1300 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:24

Too many!

Never! 

Straightening my handwriting with blank paper.

Sponsored Content

|