Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using *show* Us!, 2017

alc3261

It's bright, sunny, and -22F this morning, so I got this pen out and inked it with Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi.

Happy Thursday!

fpn_1484233039__sailor_naginata_togi_min

fpn_1484233069__sailor_naginata_togi_min

fpn_1484232958__sailor_naginata_togi_rib

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• perfaddict

• eliweisz

• Cryptos

So superglue is good? I wondered whether I could repair my cracked generations (not my fault, barely touched the pen) with Revell cement.

No.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

It's bright, sunny, and -22F this morning, so I got this pen out and inked it with Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi.

Happy Thursday!

fpn_1484233039__sailor_naginata_togi_min

fpn_1484233069__sailor_naginata_togi_min

This may sound a little weird but I've so missed seeing your written words and your glorious pens.

:)

This may sound a little weird but I've so missed seeing your written words and your glorious pens.

:)

+1

Practice, patience, perseverance

Sorry, but I believe that's a Sailor music nib ("MS") not a Naginata-Togi (N-MF, N-M or N-B.) The shape of the tip gives it away too. Now dcpritch will have to do that beautiful calligraphy all over again!

Edited by BlueJ

Sorry, but I believe that's a Sailor music nib ("MS") not a Naginata-Togi (N-MF, N-M or N-B. The shape of the tip gives it away too. Now dcpritch will have to do that beautiful calligraphy all over again!

;)

In the meanwhile, another Japanese nib: a Pilot SU (sutab) which is supposed to be smooth. Mine wasn't. Actually, it was terribly scratchy. But after a visit to Spain, where Pablo Carrasco of FPnibs (no affiliation!) took a good care of it, the pen writes just like the doctor ordered:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/528/31875916850_13629701dc_c.jpg

Montblanc Toffee Brown, Rhodia R

http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/559/32099646422_f78f788e92_c.jpg

Diamine Green Umber, Rhodia DotPad

Practice, patience, perseverance

Thanks you guys, I feel very much at home here.

Sorry, but I believe that's a Sailor music nib ("MS") not a Naginata-Togi (N-MF, N-M or N-B. The shape of the tip gives it away too. Now dcpritch will have to do that beautiful calligraphy all over again!

BlueJ, bless you for that comment as it has taken me back ten years in time for the explanation.

My understanding has always been that Sailor made for a period of time a pen called the Naginata-togi, in both smooth and ribbed versions, part of Sailor's Bespoke collection of pens. These pens are distinguished from the 1911 Ribbed in that the Naginata-togi pen is larger than the 1911 full size (also called the Large), and significantly the Naginata-togi Ribbed pen was turned by hand on a lathe, rather than being injection-molded as with the 1911 version. The Naginata-togi pen had an interchangeable section with the full size 1911, and various Sailor nibs - including Naginata-togi nibs - fit on either model. Is this as confusing for you as it is for me?

This particular Naginata-togi pen is one of 25 made by Sailor in the canary yellow color, introduced at the 2009 Atlanta Pen Show and completely sold out by the end of the show. Being a lover of wide nibs and not skilled enough to handle with panache any Naginata-togi nib, I declined the standard Naginata-togi nib and had my Naginata-togi pen fitted with one of Sailor's two-tined music-stub (MS) nibs, which Greg Minuskin skillfully adjusted to my liking.

Later, it seems, or at least at the present time, the confusion between Naginata-togi pens and Naginata-togi nibs led to a phase-out of the pen line, so that Sailor now seems to be selling only the nibs bearing that name. I hope this gives at least some credence to my description of the pen as a Naginata-togi. If not, "that's my story and I'm sticking to it!" :)

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

So... is there a "Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us! - 2017"-thread yet? The OCD side of me can't handle the continuation of posting in this one :unsure:

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Beautiful photos, penmanship, and art everyone. So much eye candy. And cute pit, Parker!

Not much compared to what's shared here but figured I'd post what I'm writing with. The homosapiens is my newest and I'm in love with it.

http://i.imgur.com/42s8ga8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ScdXRJz.jpg

Edited by Betweenthelines

So... is there a "Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us! - 2017"-thread yet? The OCD side of me can't handle the continuation of posting in this one :unsure:

I totally feel this. I keep checking for the new one... Anyway, still going to post a picture here since it hasn't been created yet.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z480/Heldinnen/13-1-2017_zps6mzenfsh.jpg

It's a cheap pen but a joy to write with :)

fpn_1484252334__p1020505.jpg

fpn_1484252351__p1020506.jpg

Okay, I was just thinking that. Probably send it to the penwizzard then. I'm a bit disappointed about the quality. I only used it a few times, because the converter held only very few ink for notetaking at university when I purchased it back in 1995(?) and I continued using my Pelikan Level at home also.

while sitting in it's case and drawer unused, the grip section cracked twice, the barrel cracked twice, as did the cap (twice).

So do I. Edited by parkerwasmyfirstlove

Noihvo - hear hear. I'm really looking forward to spending 2017 lurking in this thread.

Yesterday's pen: Kaweco Liliput (EF), KWZI Green Gold.

32272582895_60487a1d6e_c.jpg