Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using *show* Us!, 2017

alc3261

Yes, because if I wanted a Parker 51 I should have bought one that I actually like - Cedar Blue, gold cap with chevron band, extra fine nib. Those kinds of pen never come this way though. Anyway, the one in the picture will be gone by the end of next week. It's paying for a Bexley, which was also a poor buy (I really should not buy any pens again, ever. I suck at this).

So, you bought a 51 and didn't like it. Sh*t happens.

I bought my 51 about a year ago - Cordovan Brown, as good as new - and simply hated the nib. Now it's my best writer - at an additional cost, of course. Retipping is quite expensive, but worth every penny in this particular case.

31359377223_3349ae7e76_c.jpg

Greg Minuskin is a genius (no affiliation, just a very happy customer).

Practice, patience, perseverance

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• perfaddict

• eliweisz

• Cryptos

I've had 51s before and sold or gave them all away. In hindsight I should have kept the best one because, as I note, opportunities for people like me are very limited.

Yours looks nice, but not a colour I would choose.

Eli K,

Thank you for sharing the photo & story behind your Parker 51. I have kept the thought of Mr. Minuskin's retipping of same since I watched SBRE Brown's review of his 51 which had seen Mr. Minuskin's service. You are correct that it is not a small expense but sometimes it is necessary to have what you want. A wise person will change what disturbs them & consider themselves lucky for being able to do so. I have never been sorry about things I have altered or customised; I fear I would have been remorseful if I had not taken advantage of an opportunity that I was aware of.

Your pen is handsome & I am happy to know about about your use of & pleasure with Mr. Minuskin & his help with your pen. I hope it continues to serve you well.

I've had 51s before and sold or gave them all away. In hindsight I should have kept the best one because, as I note, opportunities for people like me are very limited.

Yours looks nice, but not a colour I would choose.

That's the colour I always wanted. Hope you'll find your perfect pen, be it a "51" or any other name.

Eli K,

Thank you for sharing the photo & story behind your Parker 51. I have kept the thought of Mr. Minuskin's retipping of same since I watched SBRE Brown's review of his 51 which had seen Mr. Minuskin's service. You are correct that it is not a small expense but sometimes it is necessary to have what you want. A wise person will change what disturbs them & consider themselves lucky for being able to do so. I have never been sorry about things I have altered or customised; I fear I would have been remorseful if I had not taken advantage of an opportunity that I was aware of.

Your pen is handsome & I am happy to know about about your use of & pleasure with Mr. Minuskin & his help with your pen. I hope it continues to serve you well.

Thank you! Two of my pens (this one and Pilot CH 912, adjusted by Pablo Carrasco) were a huge disappointment initially - and now I can't put them down.

fpn_1483945702__090117.jpg

Beautiful! Next time, I'll put a bottle of this Permanent Blue in my shopping basket ;)

Beautiful! Next time, I'll put a bottle of this Permanent Blue in my shopping basket ;)

Thanks! Easily my favourite ink.

Today I was using this lovely thing for corresponding with friends. Beautiful in it's minimalism, and a Masuyama nib that is plain sweet to write with.

http://i.imgur.com/8Cm4ONTh.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Just pulled this out after probably 10 years of not using it. For the life of me, I can't remember the model or price I paid. Anybody got an idea? It's a Waldmann .925 wood-barreled, burled-silver cap. Lovely writer, but I remembered why I don't use it. Medium, not XF.

post-81365-0-05930900-1484022336_thumb.jpg

fpn_1483751950__unwanted_p51.jpg

THIS is a poor purchase?!

Funny! I was thinking that the written quote might better have said, "I am the master of pen purchases making me poor," in which case I would object because I seem to be quite masterful at that.

Oh what discipline. I'm slightly envious that you are able to do that :)

Seriously! How can one get by with two or four pens?! I usually have twice that many inked at any one time.

I had a challenging 2016 on many different levels but am happy to report that things are looking better on most fronts. As an early adopter of this wonderful thread I am glad to see it continues with such great posts and activity. Looking forward to jumping back in very soon. DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

David, we have all missed you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

fpn_1484120647__20170111_011756.jpgDe Atramentis Myrrh

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

31712171330_222b9a5cc5_c.jpg

Long time no see! Love your sketch. These Skyboys are quite rare, aren't they?

Today I was using this lovely thing for corresponding with friends. Beautiful in it's minimalism, and a Masuyama nib that is plain sweet to write with.

http://i.imgur.com/8Cm4ONTh.jpg

So stylish...

fpn_1484039853__quote1.jpg

Lamy 2000, Sailor tokiwa-matsu

fpn_1484039903__quote2.jpg

Pilot Decimo, Diamine Syrah

It's been a rough day. Sorry about the poor writing.

Not poor at all. Thank you for sharing this.

I had a challenging 2016 on many different levels but am happy to report that things are looking better on most fronts. As an early adopter of this wonderful thread I am glad to see it continues with such great posts and activity. Looking forward to jumping back in very soon. DAVID

Welcome back, David! Good to see you again ;)

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

So superglue is good? I wondered whether I could repair my cracked generations (not my fault, barely touched the pen) with Revell cement.

I wouldn't use superglue to repair any pen of value. FPN has an enormous vault of repair information here.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch