The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using *show* Us!, 2017

• Please log in to reply
1305 replies to this topic

#41 eliweisz

eliweisz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 22:50

Yes, because if I wanted a Parker 51 I should have bought one that I actually like - Cedar Blue, gold cap with chevron band, extra fine nib.  Those kinds of pen never come this way though.  Anyway, the one in the picture will be gone by the end of next week. It's paying for a Bexley, which was also a poor buy (I really should not buy any pens again, ever. I suck at this).

So, you bought a 51 and didn't like it. Sh*t happens.

I bought my 51 about a year ago - Cordovan Brown, as good as new - and simply hated the nib. Now it's my best writer - at an additional cost, of course. Retipping is quite expensive, but worth every penny in this particular case.

31359377223_3349ae7e76_c.jpg

Greg Minuskin is a genius (no affiliation, just a very happy customer).

Currently inked: Sheaffer Vigilant 14K Minuskin stub | Sailor Promenade 14K H-MF | Franklin-Christoph XLV Masuyama MCI | ASA Galactic flat-top B | Picasso 915 M | Wing Sung 618 F | Caliarts Ego F | rOtring ArtPen 1.5mm | Pilot Parallel 2.4mm

Sponsored Content

#42 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• All Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 23:37

I've had 51s before and sold or gave them all away.  In hindsight I should have kept the best one because, as I note, opportunities for people like me are very limited.

Yours looks nice, but not a colour I would choose.

#43 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:23

Eli K, 

Thank you for sharing the photo & story behind your Parker 51.  I have kept the thought of Mr. Minuskin's retipping of same since I watched SBRE Brown's review of his 51 which had seen Mr. Minuskin's service.  You are correct that it is not a small expense but sometimes it is necessary to have what you want.  A wise person will change what disturbs them & consider themselves lucky for being able to do so.  I have never been sorry about things I have altered or customised; I fear I would have been remorseful if I had not taken advantage of an opportunity that I was aware of.

Your pen is handsome & I am happy to know about about your use of & pleasure with Mr. Minuskin & his help with your pen.  I hope it continues to serve you well.

#44 perfaddict

perfaddict

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:10

fpn_1483945702__090117.jpg

#45 eliweisz

eliweisz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 14:50

I've had 51s before and sold or gave them all away.  In hindsight I should have kept the best one because, as I note, opportunities for people like me are very limited.

Yours looks nice, but not a colour I would choose.

That's the colour I always wanted. Hope you'll find your perfect pen, be it a "51" or any other name.

Eli K, 

Thank you for sharing the photo & story behind your Parker 51.  I have kept the thought of Mr. Minuskin's retipping of same since I watched SBRE Brown's review of his 51 which had seen Mr. Minuskin's service.  You are correct that it is not a small expense but sometimes it is necessary to have what you want.  A wise person will change what disturbs them & consider themselves lucky for being able to do so.  I have never been sorry about things I have altered or customised; I fear I would have been remorseful if I had not taken advantage of an opportunity that I was aware of.

Your pen is handsome & I am happy to know about about your use of & pleasure with Mr. Minuskin & his help with your pen.  I hope it continues to serve you well.

Thank you! Two of my pens (this one and Pilot CH 912, adjusted by Pablo Carrasco) were a huge disappointment initially - and now I can't put them down.

fpn_1483945702__090117.jpg

Beautiful! Next time, I'll put a bottle of this Permanent Blue in my shopping basket ;)

Currently inked: Sheaffer Vigilant 14K Minuskin stub | Sailor Promenade 14K H-MF | Franklin-Christoph XLV Masuyama MCI | ASA Galactic flat-top B | Picasso 915 M | Wing Sung 618 F | Caliarts Ego F | rOtring ArtPen 1.5mm | Pilot Parallel 2.4mm

#46 perfaddict

perfaddict

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 15:05

Beautiful! Next time, I'll put a bottle of this Permanent Blue in my shopping basket ;)

Thanks! Easily my favourite ink.

#47 Dorf

Dorf

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 23:06

Cartier Roadster today. ;)

20170109_131032-1-1-1_zpsbwchyj5x.jpg

#48 penwash

penwash

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 23:38

31712171330_222b9a5cc5_c.jpg

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

#49 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• 3,806 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:19

Today I was using this lovely thing for corresponding with friends. Beautiful in it's minimalism, and a Masuyama nib that is plain sweet to write with.

8Cm4ONTh.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#50 rpmoyer100

rpmoyer100

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:28

Just pulled this out after probably 10 years of not using it.  For the life of me, I can't remember the model or price I paid.  Anybody got an idea?  It's a Waldmann .925 wood-barreled, burled-silver cap.  Lovely writer, but I remembered why I don't use it.  Medium, not XF.

Attached Images

• waldmann pen.jpg

#51 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• All Banned
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:19

fpn_1484039853__quote1.jpg

Lamy 2000, Sailor tokiwa-matsu

fpn_1484039903__quote2.jpg

Pilot Decimo, Diamine Syrah

It's been a rough day. Sorry about the poor writing.

#52 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,866 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 22:00

fpn_1483751950__unwanted_p51.jpg

THIS is a poor purchase?!

Funny!  I was thinking that the written quote might better have said, "I am the master of pen purchases making me poor," in which case I would object because I seem to be quite masterful at that.

Oh what discipline. I'm slightly envious that you are able to do that  :)

Seriously!  How can one get by with two or four pens?!  I usually have twice that many inked at any one time.

I had a challenging 2016 on many different levels but am happy to report that things are looking better on most fronts.  As an early adopter of this wonderful thread I am glad to see it continues with such great posts and activity.  Looking forward to jumping back in very soon.  DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

#53 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:06

David, we have all missed you!

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

Fountain pens are my PREFERRED ADVANCED COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas.

#54 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:32

David's back . . . 

me_yippee.jpg

#55 J85909266

J85909266

Fountain Blade

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:47

fpn_1484120647__20170111_011756.jpgDe Atramentis Myrrh 

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

#56 eliweisz

eliweisz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:07

31712171330_222b9a5cc5_c.jpg

Long time no see! Love your sketch. These Skyboys are quite rare, aren't they?

Today I was using this lovely thing for corresponding with friends. Beautiful in it's minimalism, and a Masuyama nib that is plain sweet to write with.

8Cm4ONTh.jpg

So stylish...

fpn_1484039853__quote1.jpg

Lamy 2000, Sailor tokiwa-matsu

fpn_1484039903__quote2.jpg

Pilot Decimo, Diamine Syrah

It's been a rough day. Sorry about the poor writing.

Not poor at all. Thank you for sharing this.

I had a challenging 2016 on many different levels but am happy to report that things are looking better on most fronts.  As an early adopter of this wonderful thread I am glad to see it continues with such great posts and activity.  Looking forward to jumping back in very soon.  DAVID

Welcome back, David! Good to see you again ;)

#57 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 948 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 17:17

fpn_1484155066__img_2611.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

#58 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 19:50

Here are three pens I am carrying around currently!

photo IMG_0557.jpg

photo IMG_0561.jpg

photo IMG_0563.jpg

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#59 parkerwasmyfirstlove

parkerwasmyfirstlove

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 13:12

fpn_1484155066__img_2611.jpg

So superglue is good? I wondered whether I could repair my cracked generations (not my fault, barely touched the pen) with Revell cement.

#60 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,866 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 14:54

So superglue is good? I wondered whether I could repair my cracked generations (not my fault, barely touched the pen) with Revell cement.

I wouldn't use superglue to repair any pen of value.  FPN has an enormous vault of repair information here

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Sponsored Content

|