Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using *show* Us!, 2017

alc3261

As always, inspiring pens, ink, paper and writing, not to mention the stories and goodwill that permeate this thread.

fpn_1487700540__img_7191.jpg

The PR American Blue smudged as I was arranging a photo. Alas, another day with ink stained fingers.

fpn_1487700738__pelikan_m800_bb_sorowka.

A special hello to SNAK, hope your summer is going nicely!

David,

Beautiful pens, nibs, and handwriting (as always) but I am curious about how someone from North Minnesota has a grind done by John Sorowka. I have had several nibs ground (usually to left obliques with whatever degree of italicisation that John feels is appropriate to the nib). I like him a lot and trust him implicitly – my instruction to him takes the form of, "John, you know what I like. Do something to my nib that I might have fun with".

I first met him at a local pen show, in the days when I thought that all fountain pens had medium nibs with unvarying line width. He watched me write and identified me as a "nib rotater" (I hadn't even realised that I did such a thing). Based on that observation, he suggested that I try a LOBB-CI. Wow! It was love at first write. He subsequently told me how much he had enjoyed watching my face as I started to use the OBB – that start of my journey into nib lust. Such was my joy that I bought the pen. I would post a photo in this wonderful thread if my photography skills weren't so dreadful.

Cheers,

David.

Edited by the_gasman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• perfaddict

• eliweisz

• Cryptos

... I am curious about how someone from North[ern] Minnesota has a grind done by John Sorowka.

Hi David, thanks for the very kind comment and your question. I connected with John Sorowka several years ago through pen friends and he instantly became my go-to nib expert on the Continent. Whenever I buy from your side of the Pond a pen with a nib capable of being ground, I have it sent straight to John and he does his usual mojo on the nib, after which he sends it on to me. I've had FPN and ebay purchases sent straight to him by sellers, though I've learned its best to let him know to be expecting an arrival! He has done Parkers, Pelikans, Stipulas and Onotos for me, turning all into wonderful stubs, and I'm heartened to learn he has such a dedicated following and isn't relying on meager work from me to keep him afloat.

Besides the M800 shown above, here are a few of the other pens John has set up for me (photos aren't current):

Pelikan M1000, 18C BB Stub

fpn_1487708697__pelikan_m1000_bb_stub_1.

Stipula Isola Lipari L.E., 18k 1.1mm Stub

fpn_1487708828__stipula_isola_lipari_4_-

Parker English "51" in bloody red burgundy, 14k 0.9mm Stub

fpn_1487709020__parker_51_oxonian_stub_n

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Hi David, thanks for the very kind comment and your question. I connected with John Sorowka several years ago through pen friends and he instantly became my go-to nib expert on the Continent. Whenever I buy from your side of the Pond a pen with a nib capable of being ground, I have it sent straight to John and he does his usual mojo on the nib, after which he sends it on to me. I've had FPN and ebay purchases sent straight to him by sellers, though I've learned its best to let him know to be expecting an arrival! He has done Parkers, Pelikans, Stipulas and Onotos for me, turning all into wonderful stubs, and I'm heartened to learn he has such a dedicated following and isn't relying on meager work from me to keep him afloat.

Besides the M800 shown above, here are a few of the other pens John has set up for me (photos aren't current):

Pelikan M1000, 18C BB Stub

fpn_1487708697__pelikan_m1000_bb_stub_1.

Stipula Isola Lipari L.E., 18k 1.1mm Stub

fpn_1487708828__stipula_isola_lipari_4_-

Parker English "51" in bloody red burgundy, 14k 0.9mm Stub

fpn_1487709020__parker_51_oxonian_stub_n

Lovely pens and nibs.

I have a couple grinds by John.

A P51 broad stub, and a fine italic on a John Twiss custom pen. Both are keepers.

Cool stuff :)

33006431556_9cf6a2f8fc_z_d.jpg

I just filled my Duke Uranus 620 for the first time. I wish I had earlier. The needlepoint held me back. But it is a cool pen for drawing very fine lines.

Edited by parkerwasmyfirstlove

I always wanted to get a Uranus, never did in the end. The pen reminds of the computer game 'Fallout'.

Anyhoo, from a page in my Hobonichi:

fpn_1487759442__friendship.jpg

Ranga doodah

Oster Deep Sea

Tomoegawa

Have time in between meetings today, so I filled a page in my Rhodia with the Iroha. It's a very old Japanese poem that uses all the letters in the alphabet. In English, it reads:

Colors are fragrant but (referring to flowers)

Will eventually scatter.

Who in our world

Is unchanging?

The deep mountains of karma

We cross them today

And we will not have superficial dreams

Nor be deluded.

One sad realization here is that since I have to jot down legal notes hastily all the time, my Japanese handwriting is now better than my English handwriting.

post-130616-0-76491100-1487796731_thumb.jpg

post-130616-0-76780700-1487796746_thumb.jpg

Today in use is one of my all time favorite ebonite pen which is made in India, Krishna Solo 2. It is fitted with MB Upturned Grind nib from Dr. Sreekumar of Krishna Pens. The pen is filled with Private Reserve Shoreline Gold Ink.

dsc03527.jpg?w=768

dsc03547.jpg?w=768

dsc03532.jpg?w=768

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I always wanted to get a Uranus, never did in the end. The pen reminds of the computer game 'Fallout'.

Anyhoo, from a page in my Hobonichi:

fpn_1487759442__friendship.jpg

Ranga doodah

Oster Deep Sea

Tomoegawa

Glad you like it. I got mine for 14.75 £ including shipping from ebay.co.uk They're still available there, but only red. I'd like to have the green one also. Mine is surprisingly nice. A fine but smooth writer.

32941385961_8e7b703a23_z_d.jpg

Also I've currently these inked up for sketching. My delta dolcevita federico bamboo and a bexley prometheus in mottled red (in the back). The fat grip section is a nice change and I can sketch more relaxed it seems.

How do you like that Delta, in comparison with the Bexley?

Interesting question, I've pondered abou that as well.

Well, I prefer the Bexley, but it's a tie eventually.

Both came with about the same size F steel Jowo or Bock nib.

I had to correct a misalignment of the delta nib. The Bexley worked nicely straight away.

I bought it directly from Bexley's ebay account. In comparison it was three times more expensive as the delta. It was still a good price, 100 us$ plus shipping and tax.

I like the size slightly better, the hard rubber is nicely poished and very pleasant to the touch.

The delta was only 30 € plus 10 € shipping no tax directly from Martemodena, so I'm a happy bunny.

In comparison to the Bexley it's short and stocky not as elegant as the Bexley, but I like the Cap band, the cap in general and the bamboo celluloid/ resin, whatever. However that feels cheap. Also there is almost always crossthreading when skrewing the cap back.

But it was quite cheap in comparison and the chiku rin which translates into bamboo forest is just a keeper in that pen. Also it came with a skrew in converter which is a huge plus in my book.

(The Bexley came with a converter as well).

As for writing I like the bexley a tad better, it's better balanced, hovewer, I don't enjoy writing with that huge stiff steel nibs that much. For sketching accurate lines they're both good.

Also it feels very classy to use them for sketching.

I think I'd recommend the Bexley with a gold nib for writing and drawing as well, but I don't have any experience with bock/ jowo gold nibs.

However for the price, I wouldn't mind owning a second Delta either.

32253995753_2237cfb938_z_d.jpg

Here a quick doodle I draw with the Delta today. I can also post a sample of the Bexley when I'm sketching with it. I just found out Sailor yamo dori is a perfect match. Also the Bexley seems to handle the Sailor inks better than the Delta.

...? Hope that was kinda useful. :/

fpn_1487868538__img_1130.jpg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

A translation:

Today, using my father's Montblanc 146 with Noodler's Bernanke Black. This is my entirely illegible handwriting I use when taking quick legal notes. I sometimes wonder if I can read it only because I remember what I wrote or if another human being could decipher my squiggles!

post-130616-0-56485800-1487886997_thumb.jpg

Today I am using Guider Onyx which looks extremely similar to Nakaya Piccolo is fitted with #5 Steel Medium Nib from Wality and it is filled with Iroshizuku Momiji ink.

dsc03573.jpg?w=768

dsc03581.jpg?w=768

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

A couple of "Auld Geezers" today (3 including myself, as we are all about the same age) and a young dude, (not me).

fpn_1487953986__geezers.jpg

fpn_1487954077__twsbi.jpg

Ian

Nice flighters, Ian, and I love the TWSBI work with the italic nib. I'll bite. What's the deal with shaking a stick of celery at the moon?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers