• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• Pravda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 mins on eBay and I have two offers accepted on pens. Had not really thought I'd win either...

At least I'll have something to keep me busy next week, both (146s) need cleaning up.

I only went online because I was waiting for the weather to start on TV (storm Doris hits UK tomorrow). Expensive business sitting around!

15 mins on eBay and I have two offers accepted on pens. Had not really thought I'd win either...

At least I'll have something to keep me busy next week, both (146s) need cleaning up.

I only went online because I was waiting for the weather to start on TV (storm Doris hits UK tomorrow). Expensive business sitting around!

Happens to me all the time! I sit around, end up looking online and also visiting FPN. Then before I even realize, I have purchased new pens online. It's a disease. The fountain pen disease is going around these days.

I was all excited to talk about my new MB acquisition that I hinted at weeks ago, but my pen buddy 888007888 stole my thunder. Since he was able to get to the LA pen show last weekend, he picked up one of the prototype MB 149s with the MOP star. Even though I had been talking with Tom from Penboard.de since December about the pens and finally pulled the trigger after a holiday break in our negotiations, my pen was on its way but stuck in customs in NY. I was only able to enjoy 888007888’s pictures like everyone else, yet I could not help feeling a little wistful.

Well, today is the day it finally arrived. Being me and being picky about my 149 pens, I did not want the pens Tom had for sale. He had installed the MOP derbies onto circa 1998 149s with the period appropriate resin feed, brass threads and 2 piece barrel. I really like the early resin pens from the 1960s but he did not have any of those. He was able to find me a 1970s/early 1980s 149 with a bi-tone 14C nib in B width. It has the split ebonite feed, one-piece barrel and the plastic piston threads I prefer. The cap look to be a little later as the clip has a W. GERMANY stamp on it. I figured I have the opportunity to take “artistic license” since the MOP derbies were never released to the public nor intended for sale and therefore I was not “ruining” the pen it would have come on it is was a product ion item in 1998/1999.

As explained to me, there are about 10-15 of these MOP derbies that were made to test out the production process to make the MOP stars for the 75th LE 149. Now those derbies also have a metal ring around them so these prototypes are not simply early production. I had known of maybe 2 or three that had been floating around over the years but they had “disappeared” from discussions here on FPN. Recently Tom was able to secure the remaining derbies from a factory source and he is selling them off.

Is it worth it? Well, that is for you to decide. For me, the answer was yes. Given the rarity and the love I have for the 149 it was an acceptable cost. (It is still a lot cheaper than securing a 75th 149 LE in good condition, and there are far more of those floating about.) The “bling” is subtle but very hypnotic. I enjoy staring at it in the various lighting conditions around the office.

Here are a few pics of the pen, mainly featuring the MOP star.

fpn_1487801570__20170222_095638_resized.

fpn_1487801622__20170222_095236_resized.

fpn_1487801677__20170222_095907_resized.

fpn_1487801713__20170222_095515_resized.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I was all excited to talk about my new MB acquisition that I hinted at weeks ago, but my pen buddy 888007888 stole my thunder. Since he was able to get to the LA pen show last weekend, he picked up one of the prototype MB 149s with the MOP star. Even though I had been talking with Tom from Penboard.de since December about the pens and finally pulled the trigger after a holiday break in our negotiations, my pen was on its way but stuck in customs in NY. I was only able to enjoy 888007888’s pictures like everyone else, yet I could not help feeling a little wistful.

Well, today is the day it finally arrived. Being me and being picky about my 149 pens, I did not want the pens Tom had for sale. He had installed the MOP derbies onto circa 1998 149s with the period appropriate resin feed, brass threads and 2 piece barrel. I really like the early resin pens from the 1960s but he did not have any of those. He was able to find me a 1970s/early 1980s 149 with a bi-tone 14C nib in B width. It has the split ebonite feed, one-piece barrel and the plastic piston threads I prefer. The cap look to be a little later as the clip has a W. GERMANY stamp on it. I figured I have the opportunity to take “artistic license” since the MOP derbies were never released to the public nor intended for sale and therefore I was not “ruining” the pen it would have come on it is was a product ion item in 1998/1999.

As explained to me, there are about 10-15 of these MOP derbies that were made to test out the production process to make the MOP stars for the 75th LE 149. Now those derbies also have a metal ring around them so these prototypes are not simply early production. I had known of maybe 2 or three that had been floating around over the years but they had “disappeared” from discussions here on FPN. Recently Tom was able to secure the remaining derbies from a factory source and he is selling them off.

Is it worth it? Well, that is for you to decide. For me, the answer was yes. Given the rarity and the love I have for the 149 it was an acceptable cost. (It is still a lot cheaper than securing a 75th 149 LE in good condition, and there are far more of those floating about.) The “bling” is subtle but very hypnotic. I enjoy staring at it in the various lighting conditions around the office.

You had me at 14c B

On a visit to London, I picked up this beauty from the Mont Blanc store in Canary Wharf. A Shakespeare WE. I think the pen is rather beautiful and has a theatrical view. It does not post - as the hexagonal cap design will not sit well on the cone - and the instructions say not to post it.

The pen is heaver that a 146 - as it does have some metal in the body, but the grip is a little narrower - which for me makes it a bit more comfortable. There is no ink window. The 18K nib is quite hard - certainly not as springy as the Platinum or Caran D'Ache 18k nibs. The shape (particularly the cap) makes this a much larger pen than usual, so it doesn't fit into a standard pen case.

I have been using it to write letters as part of InCoWriMo the last 4 days with MB's Royal Blue.

fpn_1487806828__img_2528.jpg

fpn_1487806752__img_2526.jpg

Another 149. 14C tri-tone. Looks like it could be another B or maybe an M. Should be here next week. I hope it is not a wreck and the nib has good spring.

I went so long without buying a 149 and now they are about to start filling all my pockets. What is happening here? :)

Congratulations on a really unusual and beautiful 149.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Zaddick! That is such an amazing acquisition, congratulations :) The mother of pearl star is gorgeous, I think that it shimmers even more than any 75th Anniversary pen I have seen. Hope it brings you joy in writing many pages with that beauty.

This pen tray arrived today. Perfect for my collection, up to now I have been hiding them in leather cases.

What is that yucky orange pen? You are ruining the tray!

;)

Thanks all for the kind comments about the MOP finial/derby. It is appreciated.

I think I helped sell 3 or 4 of the pens for Tom. I hear he is now out of them. If you got one congratulations. Don't be shy about sharing! It is this kind of eye candy that keeps the site both educational and dangerous to savings accounts.

Next up is a skeleton 149. ;)

I think I helped sell 3 or 4 of the pens for Tom. I hear he is now out of them. If you got one congratulations. Don't be shy about sharing! It is this kind of eye candy that keeps the site both educational and dangerous to savings accounts.

It is indeed a danger to the savings account. ;-)

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Zaddick, sadly i was not as lucky as you and Jason - I need to spend more time on here :)

Looking forward to your next update!