mk2579

Omas Bologne in Burkina celluloid

This is the last of the three Omas celluloid fountain pens I managed to grab in a frenzy towards the end of 2016. I had been labouring under a self-imposed fountain pen-buying ban since the Summer, when I had taken steps to reduce and consolidate my collection. That consolidation process resulted on a focus on Italian and Japanese fountain pens, but mainly Italian fountain pens, and mainly Omas fountain pens. The “Bologne” from Omas is a large fountain pen with a piston- filling mechanism like the other high- end models. However I believe it is less favoured among Omas collectors, as within the Bologne range exist a number of cheaper resin fountain pens with a cartridge- converter filling mechanism, some of which are in rather garish colours. I know these models are popular with some enthusiasts, though they never really appealed to me. This Burkina celluloid model on the other hand, together with its Lucens counterpart, are very appealing. Like the Lucens, it has a sterling silver section (a no-no for some, not a issue for me), a nice balance, and is surprisingly light weight, without feeling cheap. Unlike the Lucens design it doesn’t have the Omas “O” logo on the finial. It also does away with the thick greek key design band in favour of a thinner sterling silver band with Omas engraved on the front side, and Italy on the reverse. A smaller portion of the greek key design is engraved in between. I believe this cap band design is also used in the 360 Burkina model, which looks spectacular. The “Burkina” celluloid obviously takes its inspiration from African print design. A vibrant yellow, with black square dots and long black strips darting in and out of the golden celluloid. It looks like pure sunshine. Very unique indeed. I like it.

Nib:

As with the Omas Cinema, the Omas Burkina Bologne has a Medium nib. It’s a Bock medium, but is smooth and wet enough and is also nice to write with straight out of the box. It is also one of the larger nibs, with ebonite feed as standard, and rhodium plated to match the cap band and clip.

Verdict:

A bright, sunny addition to my Omas collection.

Photos:

I found it difficult to capture the bright golden yellow of the celluloid, but hopefully these pics will give some idea...

IMG_5143.jpg

Not the best pic but shows the celluloid at the finial and some of the cap band...

IMG_5148.jpg

Here it is pictured with my Hobonichi Techo Knit Up! and a writing sample using Montblanc's similarly sunny "Golden Yellow" ink, which I don't get nearly enough use out of...

IMG_5141.jpg

Edited by kunju123

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mk2579

• mongrelnomad

• Barkingpig

• zaddick

It is- very unique as well- I don't think theres another celluloid out there like it.

There was a massive Omas auction recently and they had the Burkina Celluloid for the Paragon (old style), 360 and Ogiva- all 3 of those look even more amazing than the Bologne. I was so tempted, but just waaaaaay out of my price range. I'll keep an eye out in the coming years...

Fingers cross for your hunting Burkina Collection :)

Nice one, but I prefer Cinema... ;)

I think Burkina appeals as you just don't see many yellow fountain pens around, pen makers always tend to go for orange over yellow, for some reason. I think maybe orange has a certain retro appeal, whereas yellow doesn't. I love the Onxy wheel detail on the clip of the Paragon and Ogiva models as well.

Overall though I think I may have to agree- the grey celluloid of the Cinema is quite stunning. I believe the 80th or 90th commemorative set also utilises this celluloid. I love the cap band detail as well. The whole idea of a fountain pen commemorating the silver screen was very well executed by Omas IMO- I believe the original pen also shipped in an actual film reel!

This particular pen also came to me in absolutely mint condition. I've bought NOS listed as "mint" before and thought hmmmmm. But this really was mint. Got it for a great price too!

This material is simply stunning :)

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was your review of the Burkina 360 (was that you?) that got me thinking about the Burkina celluloid in the first place. My wallet thanks you- not! :lticaptd:

I love the Burkina - I have a few, and covet an Ogiva in the celluloid. Thanks for the review!

Too many pens; too little writing.

Mine was the first, (& only) fountain pen I ordered when it was announced. All other pens were purchased a good while "past their time," whether new or used, so some discount was available. Having wanted a Burkina for almost three years & missing the boat on the 360, altho I gave it a serious "run for it's money," I was almost glad when Novellis said, they could no longer supply it. The silver section had always concerned me, so I was sad & also relieved @ the same time.

THEN the Ogivia was announced & it was all over! After receiving it, I am no longer envious of the 360 or Paragon in same finish. I had hoped for an Arco, in the future, but obviously I preferred the Burkina, or I would have purchased the Arco instead. I really can't say I feel the same way about ANY of my other pens, it is "just right," & that is a good feeling.

I hope one will find it's way to you someday.

Lovely pen and photos. I bid on many of those pens that came up for auction recently but they all went too high for me.

A really unique celluloid. Sometimes it almost looks like a handmade craft project, in a good way. It feels put together more than poured it a tube.

Enjoy in good health.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Mine was the first, (& only) fountain pen I ordered when it was announced. All other pens were purchased a good while "past their time," whether new or used, so some discount was available. Having wanted a Burkina for almost three years & missing the boat on the 360, altho I gave it a serious "run for it's money," I was almost glad when Novellis said, they could no longer supply it. The silver section had always concerned me, so I was sad & also relieved @ the same time.

THEN the Ogivia was announced & it was all over! After receiving it, I am no longer envious of the 360 or Paragon in same finish. I had hoped for an Arco, in the future, but obviously I preferred the Burkina, or I would have purchased the Arco instead. I really can't say I feel the same way about ANY of my other pens, it is "just right," & that is a good feeling.

I hope one will find it's way to you someday.

Funny you should say that: I think the Ogiva is the great unsung modern Omas. Yes, I like the Paragon, but there's something about the timeless elegance of the torpedo, and the delicacy of the dimensions, that makes it the more appealing, if not the quintessential, Omas.

Lovely pen and photos. I bid on many of those pens that came up for auction recently but they all went too high for me.

A really unique celluloid. Sometimes it almost looks like a handmade craft project, in a good way. It feels put together more than poured it a tube.

Enjoy in good health.

Yes thats exactly what I like about Omas vs. Sailor. I have a KOP of course and the nib really is amaaaaazing, but its just not on the same level as these handcrafted writing instruments. I'm going to have to post a pic of my Burkina Oldwin soon...

I love the Burkina - I have a few, and covet an Ogiva in the celluloid. Thanks for the review!

Yes the Ogiva in the Burkina celluloid is lovely- I like the little onxy wheel on the clip too, and the aerodynamic shape.

For you Burkina fans, there's a 360 for sale on the Bay.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

For you Burkina fans, there's a 360 for sale on the Bay.

There are several Burkina on eBay. At absolutely ridiculous, gouging prices. The peddlers should keep on dreaming while we wait for the next round from stylomaniak/MANUPENS/...

There are several Burkina on eBay. At absolutely ridiculous, gouging prices. The peddlers should keep on dreaming while we wait for the next round from stylomaniak/MANUPENS/...

The 360 is from Manu.

The 360 is from Manu.

And yet when I looked @ the listing I did NOT see his former disclaimer that the Omas pens CANNOT be shipped to the US; I wonder if that has changed or it was just not included with this listing?

Another curious listing for ANOTHER 360 Burkina from a seller that described it as "new stock from a collection of NOS that Omas is currently selling." (The seller is "Truphae, a full service global luxury goods brokerage house, offering items sold on commission.") This pen is listed with the option of "Buy it now," @ $1199.00 or Make an Offer." It does mention a "chip" in the celluloid as shown in the photograph, however I only see the same thing as is on both my Omas 360's, which I presumed to be a possible breather hole in the piston knob, which is also evident on my Ogivia & Paragon. Perhaps younger eyes can see the described "chip," they describe.

Edited by Barkingpig

Yes, the restrictions on shipping to the US were lifted. I confirmed that maybe a month ago with the seller.

Piston filled OMAS pens have a pin that holds the piston cap on and it is exposed on two sides. I cannot see the listing now but that may be what was noted as a defect.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thank you for confirmation regarding the shipping ban; I was only being nosey because I have no desire to purchase anything from this seller.

I will be interested to know what you think about the "defect as described" in the listing, I simply couldn't see anything in the photographed images that suggested except perhaps the "piston cap pin," which thanks to you I @ least know what is is & the role it serves. I could easily see it looking like a "nick" in the celluloid if you had not seen an Omas piston filled pen previously.

I am happy to see these pens offered for sale; I would like everyone who admires the Burkina finish to have the opportunity to purchase one, rather than them merely being "unobtainable."