Terra Di Siena (Brown) - Stipula

visvamitra

Stipula Pen Company originates from Florentine, Italy and was established in 1973. Stipula is a historic term used by the ancient Romans to indicate faithfulness to an obligation. Stipula’s has accepted the obligation to its customers to produce quality pens utilizing ancient themes, designs, techniques and traditions. It sounds nice but from my limited experience with their pens it seems they doesn't really deliver what they promise.

Happily Stipula pens come with a limited lifetime warranty so the buyers are covered in case the pen fails.

Additionally there are rumors that Stipula has some problems and may cease operations. I'm not sure if it's the case but it seems their products availablility on the market (especially european) is limited and only few retailers carry their pens and inks. If anyone has some news / insights about Stipula situation I would appreciate the insights so that this review provides sound informations.

Stipula offers a line of eight inks sold in nice glass 2.4 oz bottles. Interesting feature of the bottles is the fact they have light polyethylene seal pushed in the neck of the bottle, visible when you unscrew the cap. The seal (is it correcy english term?) is rather hard to remove without splashing some of ink onto desk, wall, closest entourage.

fpn_1483349484__terradfisiena_b_1.jpg

The colors are:

1. Blu della Robbia (Blue)
  2. Borgogna (Red)
  3. Nero (Black)
  4. Rosso Fiorentino (Florentine Red)
  5. Terra di Siena (Brown)
  6. Verde Muschiato (Musk Green)
  7. Violet (Violet)
  8. Zafferano (Saffron)

Terra di Siena is rather pleasant ink. On the other hand it's surprisingly light. I've bought a bottle and comparted to the ink I tired three years ago it's much lighter. I believe guys from Stipula buy some base ink and then mix it so the result is not always consistent. Here however the difference is quite striking. ANyway the ink flows nicely and doens't cause any feathering or bleedthrough.

The color is ok but it's niot the kind of brown I'm crazy about.

fpn_1483349104__terradisiena_ia.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1483349123__terradisiena_rs.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1483349140__terradisiena_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1483349151__terradisiena_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1483349182__terradisiena_t_1.jpg

fpn_1483349196__terradisiena_t_2.jpg

fpn_1483349210__terradisiena_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1483349225__terradisiena_l_1.jpg

fpn_1483349249__terradisiena_l_2.jpg

fpn_1483349268__terradisiena_l_5.jpg

Clairefontaine Triomphe, Kawecop Skylibe Sport, double broad

fpn_1483349315__terradisiena_cl.jpg

Rhodia DotPad, TWSBI 580, stub 1.1

fpn_1483349353__terradisiena_rh.jpg

fpn_1483349407__terradisiena_rh_2.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1483349332__terradisiena_h2o.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• kronos77

• Tas

• Gazcom

Nice brown, but I agree on it's lightness. Absolute Brown is more on my taste.

On Anderson Pens I discovered that Stipula has released some new colours and renamed the whole lineup (making quite a mess, some of them has three names!).

Don't grab my words as pure truth, but the current situation should be the following:

Nero - black - ebony black
Zafferano - Saffron
Verde muschiato - musk green
Terra di siena - sepia
Rosso fiorentino - florentine red
Borgogna - burgundy - dark red
Blu della robbia - deep blue
Viola giaggiolo fiorentino - viola - purple
Notturno Giannutri - dark blue
Ferro dell'elba - grigio fumo - fading gray

*NEW*

Verde risorgimento - bright green
Grigio lava - dark grey
Azzurro - light blue
Rose - sweet pink

Plus the 4 IG inks recently released

How do you rate the flow compared to other inks? I am looking for something that flows well, maybe average, but not really heavy like Aurora Black does.

The flow is nice. It;s not crazy wet ink as Auroras or J. Herbin Eclat de Saphire / Perle Noire but still quite wet. I would say if we take Aurora Black and J. Herbin Eclat de Saphire as 5 (on 1-5 scale), Terra di Siena's flow is something like 3,75.

Great review. Writes like a chocolate milk drink, and not the nicest one...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

This is a really nice sepia toned ink, with good potential for shading. Thank you Visvamitra for reviewing it.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I am color blind but I am deciding between this and Diamine Terracotta. The Stipula seems more of a straight brown while the Terra is said to be an orange brown. Yet there seems to be some similarities. Does the Stipula have some orange notes to it or am I not seeing right. Are those reddish undertones I see or something else?

Edited by kronos77

• 2 weeks later...

This is my kind of brown. Like green inks the colour brown is growing on me.

Thank you.