mk2579

Omas “The Cinema” in grey celluloid

I found this piece towards the end of the year in a frantic search for ever declining Omas stock on eBay. I got it at a great price too, so was a little apprehensive at first as to the condition of the pen. The Omas “the Cinema” pen arrived in a somewhat unobtrusive 80’s looking plastic box, but when I opened the lid…bam! What a celluloid this is! I haven’t heard much talk about the grey celluloid in general, let alone the Omas Cinema in particular, so really didn’t know what to expect. As mentioned below, I have a number of the arco celluloids that people rave so much about, but I have to say this grey celluloid (what I can only describe as crushed black velvet, but shinier, and more impressive), is spectacular! It has a unique cap band as well with little film cameras and film reels etched onto it, in lieu of the usual greek key design. It sounds weird and blingy but doesn’t look tacky at all. The gold is a bright and shiny contrast to the deep black/grey celluloid body of the pen.

Nib:

The 18ct gold nib on this Omas Cinema is Fine. However, it is no ordinary Fine. I believe this is not a Bock nib at all but one of the Omas nibs made in- house. It looks fantastic and is a real joy to write with. I don’t know how, but it just feels like I’m writing with pure gold. Has a lovely ebonite feed too.

Verdict:

So sad Omas are out of business- but so glad I managed to grab this pen. I’d give the Omas “The Cinema” 5*…and an oscar too!

Photos:

IMG_5139.jpg

Here it is taking centre stage, with my new Omas Princess and my trusty favourite, arco-verde Paragon…

L1270001.jpg

Finally, all the Omas celluloid’s together…

l1270010.jpg?w=736

Edited by kunju123

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mk2579

• ctt1wbw

• Nikaa

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! Omas are my treasures... I see I'm being put to work here this morning... ;)

Omas_nibs.jpg

Edited by kunju123

Wow. A real tresure! It's stunning!!!! :)

Congratulations!!

And I'm more than Little jealous ;)

The whole colection is so Great! :)

Beautiful collection. Congratulations (and a little jealous :lol: ).

Show us the nibs, please.

+1 they are what I would like to see too :)

Phoar !

:wub:

Best reaction ever LOL! :)

I apologise I am no good at taking macro shots- one day I will sit down and read a book on basic principles of photography. In the meantime, here is a bit more detail of the Omas Cinema nib...it looks rose gold here but is shiny yellow gold in person;

IMG_5196.jpg

Edited by kunju123

Wr

Show us writing sample, please :)

Writing sample as requested...did I say this was a Medium nib? It's actually a Fine- will edit original post. :doh:

IMG_5194.jpg

Wonderful collection. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you. Omas fountain pens are a joy to review and photograph... (goes off to read a book on how to take proper macro shots...)

Very nice! The Cinema is hard to find with all of its original special packaging.

It is with a tear in my eye that I am starting to sell off most of my celluloid Paragons. I listed the first in The Classifieds today. Here are pictures of the ones that will be leaving home. Hop on over and take a look!

http://www.fototime.com/%7BC90666A6-50C0-4CCC-984A-C265A3B4B53B%7D/origpict/5.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BFCFB2B10-4CBE-4581-B79F-3700AE8C8138%7D/origpict/6.JPG

Wow wow wow what a collection!

Oh boy. The first line on my 2017 Hobonichi collection says "try not to buy any fountain pens this month"... (hops straight over to classifieds...)

Writing sample as requested...did I say this was a Medium nib? It's actually a Fine- will edit original post. :doh:

:lol: :lol: Medium, fine... it's just perfect, and your handwriting also! ;)

To tone nib looks like... space ship ;) It's quite fururistic! I do like it, like it a lot! ;)

Now I'm even more jealous.... I love the film details on the ring. I'm film and tv editor, so you imagine how I feel when I see this movie fountain pen... :wub:

Edited by Nikaa

So many gorgeous pens in this thread, great collection.

That 360 arco is my grail pen, such a beautiful piece to own! if you ever want to move it on, you know where to find me! :P

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Thank you for sharing your collection of Omas with us; they are all beautiful & it is surely a treat to see the Cinema Pen. I had just been telling a friend about it, as he has a great love for cinema, having taught same.

I agree with your view of the earlier Omas "house made nibs;" my first Omas was a pen called Extra, & dated 1992, it looks very much like "whichwatch"'s pen he has just offered for sale. It came to me "never inked" with a medium nib, I considered trying to replace the nib with a broad, before filling it; when I called NIBS.com & explained my concern, the nice woman there suggested I might like the nib I had & suggested I try it first. She was very correct with her suggestion, because the nib was MORE than a medium, it was a pleasure, unlike any pen I had used. That was my first & after three more, I also am smitten. I could be content to have only the last Omas I purchased, with it's stub nib, if I had to choose only ONE pen to keep. I think Omas pens are the nicest of any pens I have used, besides being beautiful.

I hope you can enjoy adding more of your favorites to your happy family!

Thank you for sharing your collection of Omas with us; they are all beautiful & it is surely a treat to see the Cinema Pen. I had just been telling a friend about it, as he has a great love for cinema, having taught same.

I agree with your view of the earlier Omas "house made nibs;" my first Omas was a pen called Extra, & dated 1992, it looks very much like "whichwatch"'s pen he has just offered for sale. It came to me "never inked" with a medium nib, I considered trying to replace the nib with a broad, before filling it; when I called NIBS.com & explained my concern, the nice woman there suggested I might like the nib I had & suggested I try it first. She was very correct with her suggestion, because the nib was MORE than a medium, it was a pleasure, unlike any pen I had used. That was my first & after three more, I also am smitten. I could be content to have only the last Omas I purchased, with it's stub nib, if I had to choose only ONE pen to keep. I think Omas pens are the nicest of any pens I have used, besides being beautiful.

I hope you can enjoy adding more of your favorites to your happy family!

Thanks Barkingpig I find Omas nibs tend toward the super-juicy like no other. Their Medium nibs take "Medium" to the next level for sure!

Even though I should clarify this is indeed a Fine nib not Medium, I think I edited original post...

Edited by kunju123

:lol: :lol: Medium, fine... it's just perfect, and your handwriting also! ;)

To tone nib looks like... space ship ;) It's quite fururistic! I do like it, like it a lot! ;)

Now I'm even more jealous.... I love the film details on the ring. I'm film and tv editor, so you imagine how I feel when I see this movie fountain pen... :wub:

Wow your a Film and TV editor! I'm officially impressed...you really do need to track down one of these pens for yourself!

I work in a completely unrelated field...but still don't feel bad about keeping it (not for sale not ever!) :-)