To Skip The Intermediate Stage Or Not: Lamy Al-Star Vs. Lamy 2000

MuddyWaters

I have two beginner pens (Metropolitan and Kaweco sport) which I both dislike. I would like my next pen to be a Lamy, either an Al-Star or a 2000. I know that I like the Al-Star and Safari line and if I will spend $35 CAD on a Safari I might as well spend 15 more to get the Al-Star which I prefer.

However, similarly, I'm asking myself, if I will spend $53 on an Al-Star which is a considerable amount of money, should I consider by-passing that stage and just going to a 2000 for $225 if that is what might likely happen in the future?

Writing this question, I think I have answered it for myself: that I should get the Al-Star and then wait to see in the future if I really want to go up in class. The main reason for buying a third pen is because I do not like the grip of the metro nor the flow of the Kaweco (fatal flaws imo). I know that the Al-Star has a good grip, especially to work on my handwriting, and good flow on the medium nib.

Any thoughts from users who have gone through a similar process and any advice in retrospect?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• bayindirh

• Namo

• gryphon1911

Bearing in mind you've already tried two pens that you dislike, I would take the Al-Star or the Safari as the next step. Either of those will help you while you work on your handwriting. You will then be able to see if you're happy at that level or if you want to go up to the Lamy 2000 level.

Neither of them are anything like the Lamy 2000. The nib is completely different and so is the grip

If I may: there is no such thing as "going up on class" or anything like that. What does exist are pens designed for school, general with a forgiving "K" nib. In Europe, it was until recently or still is common. for school children to learn writing with a FP, hence the market. All the rest is marketing blabla (and even the school pen thing can be discussed). True, some pen are better made than others, and I doubt your Metro will last you a lifetime, but some other not so expensive pens will indeed take tons of abuse and still write in 25 years (as my Waterman Maestro).

My point is: what do you need/want a pen or another pen for? are you a collector, a user, an accumulator....?

If writing is in question, I will dare an advice: don't think about money first. If you find a pen that suits your needs in term of hand comfort, go for it. And if that pen is a Safari, or a Metro, or a Chnise cheapo, well, lucky you!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I have a Al Star (was my first fountain pen) that I bought back in the late 1990's. (98 IIRC) That pen is still going strong today, although it doesn't get as much use as it once did. I have other pens I like more. Of course, they are generally speaking higher priced pens. But that being said, you can't go wrong with a Al Star. it was one of two for many years and got a lot of use and abuse.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hello MuddyWaters,

If you ask me, there's no such thing called intermediate step in fountain pens. There are pens with different characteristics and different styles. While I'm no way an expert, I used many fountain pens from Stypen to Sheaffer upturned gold nibs. However my Al-Stars and safaris are my favorite fountain pens. They are good and smooth writers, they are durable, Lamy's inks are nice (IMHO) and I can use a converter to use any ink with them. If something happens to their nibs, I can change them with a simple tape and a new nib in five minutes tops.

So Lamy Safari/Al-Star provides me the best of both worlds. Easy to use, not-very-expensive pens with great flexibility and dependability. Personally I'm afraid to carry my Lamy CP-1 with me, I'd be devastated if I drop a 2000 or Sheaffer with a fixed nib.

I suggest you to look from this perspective too.

I started with a Pilot Preppy on the recommendation of many in the reddit r/fountainpens subreddit. I'm grateful for this recommendation because it did get me more interested in fountain pens as a hobby, and about two weeks ago received my first Lamy Safari. I absolutely love this pen. The fit, the feel, how the ink flows--everything. My goal for getting the Lamy Safari was to see if I'd enjoy using a FP daily. I very quickly learned that I do enjoy using a FP, so I am now awaiting the arrival of my Lamy Al-Star tomorrow. I have my eyes on a Lamy 2000, but I'm not yet at the point where I can spend that kind of money on a FP...YET.

I'm grateful that communities like these exist, and I'm very encouraged by the amount of support and camaraderie I see amongst the fountain pen communities. Thank you all.

Current Pen Inventory:

Lamy Safari (Black, M Nib), Lamy Al-Star (Blue, B Nib), TWSBI Eco (Demonstrator, Stub 1.1 Nib)

I agree with Bayindirh. I will suggest to go with Safari preferably in matte finish instead of Al Star if you handle your pens roughly. Al Star is prone to scratches and dents on rough usage and not much different writing experience compared with safari.

I started with a Pilot Preppy on the recommendation of many in the reddit r/fountainpens subreddit. I'm grateful for this recommendation because it did get me more interested in fountain pens as a hobby, and about two weeks ago received my first Lamy Safari. I absolutely love this pen. The fit, the feel, how the ink flows--everything. My goal for getting the Lamy Safari was to see if I'd enjoy using a FP daily. I very quickly learned that I do enjoy using a FP, so I am now awaiting the arrival of my Lamy Al-Star tomorrow. I have my eyes on a Lamy 2000, but I'm not yet at the point where I can spend that kind of money on a FP...YET.

I'm grateful that communities like these exist, and I'm very encouraged by the amount of support and camaraderie I see amongst the fountain pen communities. Thank you all.

I really fail to understand the notion of a beginner or starter fountain pen. A fountain pen at any price works on exactly the same principle from the very beginning of the time a fountain pen was first introduced. Apart from nib size and filling systems. after all even an inexpensive pen can have a preferred nib size change.

However I would only be too happy to be enlightened.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

As someone who's first fountain pen was a Pilot Varsity...

I made the simultaneous jump of purchasing a Metropolitan and a Lamy 2000 at the same time.

I figured I'd always go the "intermediate" route and take on a Safari or a TWSBI before getting a 2000.

But I am so glad I did not.

This Lamy 2000 is incredible. The build quality, the nib quality, the piston quality- it is fantastic.

That being said, the quality of the 2000 tells me that Lamy's other offerings are probably just as good, and so going to a Safari or Al-Star is probably a great decision as well.

I just happened to get some extra funds at Christmas and decided to have a "treat yo self" day.

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page.

I really fail to understand the notion of a beginner or starter fountain pen. A fountain pen at any price works on exactly the same principle from the very beginning of the time a fountain pen was first introduced. Apart from nib size and filling systems. after all even an inexpensive pen can have a preferred nib size change.

However I would only be too happy to be enlightened.

If I am not mistaken, "beginner pen" should refer to a pen design for children and/or people with no experience with FPs. The nib is a K, I think German for Kugelschreiber, a nib with a round, big tip, very forgiving and with a large sweet spot. But "beginner pen" seems to refer to an inexpensive pen, that someone can try and break without suffering a big menetary loss, and learning in the process.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I'm not a fan of the Al-Star. Just have no love for third-generation updates on a design classic.

There is little to compare between the Safari and the 2000 - the Safari (in any version) is a glorified school pen - hardy, simple, with a basic stainless steel nib. The 2000, on the other hand, is one of the best piston fillers out there, in any price class. Solid construction, sober design, hand-polished gold nib. Many swear by it for daily use (the writer Neil Gaiman uses it for drafting his books.) You can get it for no more than $159.00.

Disclaimer: some people don't like the design. Also, it does happen that a particular nib might not be the right one for you. Get it from a retailer who will exchange it at no cost - or try it in a brick and mortar store first.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I own both, and like them for entirely different reasons. But, for a long writing session, the Lamy 2000 wins every time.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Because of the wider grip?

I think the grip is about the same size, but not triangular. Also, the 2000 grip tapers whereas the Al-Star grip does not. For me it's about how the pen writes and something about the feel.

I find that I prefer the Al Star and the Safari for short bursts of writing rather than long writing sessions.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Hello Muddy Waters,

While I've only been into fps for about a year now; I've already accumulated more Safaris and Al-Stars than I can recall... I think I have close to 20, that's just how much I love those pens, especially the Al-Star which feels smoother in the hand and I love the metallic finishes. :)

I also have one 2K and I really love that pen, too. It has a tapered grip, so you can hold it wherever you like; it holds a gallon of ink and I've never had a pen with a silkier or smoother nib, (including a Sailor 1911, Pilot Custom 74 w/ a SM nib and even a Bexley with an 18k Gaston nib).

I've also never had a pen with a rougher nib, i.e., the 2K nib has a very narrow sweet spot, (even on my medium), but when you find it - WOW!!!

I really can't advise you because I don't know what your writing habits are, but I can assure you that you'll probably be happy with either choice.... I can also assure you that if you don't get the 2K now, YOU WILL get one eventually. :)

- Anthony

@Pickwick:

As a newbie to the hobby, I have a general anxiety about carrying a very expensive pen. I am afraid to use it for fear of dropping it, damaging it, losing it, or some other peril it might suffer. So, buying a "beginner" fountain pen involves "getting used to" all of the things that a fountain pen requires that a cheap-ass ball-point does not: Remember to cap it before you set it down. Don't drop it nib-first onto a hard wood floor like our friend David Parker did to his Visconti Millionaire. There's a different mindset for someone who grew up using ball point pens. For me, it's about training myself all of the good fountain pen habits.

Additionally, I have a very bad habit of losing things. I've (only once!) lost a $350 pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. I don't want to add to it the possibility of losing even a Lamy 2000, because that kind of money would hurt for me to lose.

So, now that I am developing the good fountain pen habits with my Lamy Safari and Lamy Al-Star, I can prepare myself for that Pelikan M400 Blue with a Broad nib.

Current Pen Inventory:

Lamy Safari (Black, M Nib), Lamy Al-Star (Blue, B Nib), TWSBI Eco (Demonstrator, Stub 1.1 Nib)

@Pickwick:

As a newbie to the hobby, I have a general anxiety about carrying a very expensive pen. I am afraid to use it for fear of dropping it, damaging it, losing it, or some other peril it might suffer. So, buying a "beginner" fountain pen involves "getting used to" all of the things that a fountain pen requires that a cheap-ass ball-point does not: Remember to cap it before you set it down. Don't drop it nib-first onto a hard wood floor like our friend David Parker did to his Visconti Millionaire. There's a different mindset for someone who grew up using ball point pens. For me, it's about training myself all of the good fountain pen habits.

Additionally, I have a very bad habit of losing things. I've (only once!) lost a $350 pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. I don't want to add to it the possibility of losing even a Lamy 2000, because that kind of money would hurt for me to lose.

So, now that I am developing the good fountain pen habits with my Lamy Safari and Lamy Al-Star, I can prepare myself for that Pelikan M400 Blue with a Broad nib.

I guess I'm looking at fountain pens from a different perspective having grown up with them along with dip pens, therefore taking them for granted. I got my first lever fill pen age 11. Thinking about it, I realize I wrote with a dip pen at school from age 8. I only write with a fountain pen {sometimes a dip pen} at my writing desk. When I go out now I always carry a Parker Ballpoint or Retro 51 Tornado rollerball with me. Before those pens became popular I would carry a mechanical pencil.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Just as an alternative, if you're already considering around $225 for a 2000, why not buy the Al-Star and keep an eye out in the classifieds for a slightly used 2000. The reduction in price could easily keep you under the $225 total number for both.

Yes, good habits do count, but you can also address the issue by choosing carefully for your everyday carry.

I have three Lamy Safaris, and generally I have two of them with me as an everyday carry. They cost $30 to replace if I should completely lose one. To me that's a loss, but it's not the end of the world. Lamy still makes the Safari so it would be easy for me to completely replace any of these pens if lost/destroyed.

The fanciest pen I own is an Aurora Talentum. It's not the most you can spend on a pen, but it does cost a good chunk of change and that pen never leaves the house. As long as I don't drop it nib first on the ground, I'm okay with regularly using something that expensive. I exercise care when using it (for instance, I always cap it before setting it down), but I use it everyday.

So if you really want that Lamy 2000 or Pelikan M400, I'd say go for it. Just give it an assigned place in your home, put it back when you're done with it, and enjoy it.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Just as an alternative, if you're already considering around $225 for a 2000, why not buy the Al-Star and keep an eye out in the classifieds for a slightly used 2000. The reduction in price could easily keep you under the $225 total number for both.

This is what I ended up doing. I just ordered an Al-Star for a great price on Amazon, though I would have preferred to support a local store, since at the price, it is an immediate upgrade on what I have and will allow me to write longer more comfortably. I haven't tried the Lamy 2000 enough to justify purchasing it at this point based mostly on fountain pen reviews and forum comments as one can find both positive and negative reviews for almost every pen, and it will eventually come down to whether the 2000 speaks to me or not, like the Al-Star/Safari build did.

I have no doubt the Lamy 2000 is a pen I will want in the future as I love the aesthetic and Lamy in general for having such great designs that work well. But I'll see where the Al-Star takes me and anyway it will probably be an easier pen to carry around and toss about, which I won't have too much anxiety about doing despite the scratches to the finish.

In the end, my answer is not to affirm the statement that I needed an intermediate pen before upgrading but that this particular pen suited my needs at this particular time. The only problem is that I will only get the damned thing in early February when I come back from travels!

Edited by MuddyWaters