Qotw - 2017

smk

fpn_1483906471__rochefoucauld-2-quote-80

Brause blue pumpkin nib, Moon Palace sumi ink

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• bobje

• Sagarb

• caliken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay. So it should be "too old," not "to old." And there was a bit of smearing that I scraped off with my "pen knife," as if I had been writing on vellum.

I am writing in humanist bookhand, in honor of Jaki Svaren coming out of retirement to teach a 3-day workshop on that hand at Reed College later this month!

Enjoy!

David

Diamine Oxblood ink in a Franklin-Christoph Model 02 pen fitted with a Franklin-Christoph music nib. On Rhodia "R" paper.

Edited by dms525

- Beautiful capitals in humanist bookhand, David, as is everything else! And that Jaki Svaren workshop -- what a rare opportunity.

- Thank you, Sagar -- have just started, and so much to learn.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

32092168091_03f3113fce.jpg

QOTW week 2 by Richila, on Flickr

Baoer 68 with self ground stub Diamine Sherwood Green in my Peter Pauper Press notebook

Edited by richila

- Beautiful capitals in humanist bookhand, David, as is everything else! And that Jaki Svaren workshop -- what a rare opportunity.

- Thank you, Sagar -- have just started, and so much to learn.

Thanks, Bob. I wish I could attend Jaki's workshop, but I have conflicting plans. I hope to see her next June when Paul Herrera, a student of Fr. Edward Catich and his successor at St. Ambrose college, will be doing workshops at Reed.

I do admire your pointed pen calligraphy. Maybe someday I'll undertake learning Spencerian.

David

ksm -

No one would fail to benefit from more practice, but your chancery cursive looks pretty darn good right now. I could nit pick, but I'll just offer another quotation from La Rochefoucauld:

It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

David

Sweet italic, Troy -- really nice minuscule a. I'm also a fan of Noodler's Blue.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Sweet italic, Troy -- really nice minuscule a. I'm also a fan of Noodler's Blue.

Thanks Bob. I've not used this nib much lately, having gone for more cursive and pointed pen stuff. I forgot how much I like italic. I really need to practice more. I wrote this on a table in my classroom, on some notecards I had stuffed in my desk.

Edited by countrydirt

31873492900_fb7dec5e5c_z.jpgFPN QOTW 1/10/17 by Dawn, on Flickr

This is pretty ugly, but I wanted to experiment with the inks, so I combined two tasks into one. I wanted to see the effect of changing colors by dropping a new color directly into the nib reservoir instead of mixing the colors and then loading the pen.

Inks: FW Acrylic Artists Ink - Prussian Blue and Brilliant Yellow

Nib: Speedball B-4 in my new purple pen holder from John Neal Bookseller

Hand: Round San Serif from one of my Speedball Textbooks - my new favorite casual hand

This is pretty ugly, but I wanted to experiment with the inks, so I combined two tasks into one. I wanted to see the effect of changing colors by dropping a new color directly into the nib reservoir instead of mixing the colors and then loading the pen.

Hand: Round San Serif from one of my Speedball Textbooks - my new favorite casual hand

Kind of a DIY Pilot Parallel effect, eh? Cool!

David

no this is not ugly... I love it...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Richila, I just realized that you ground that italic yourself! Amazing! When I use Diamine Sherwood green, it goes almost black. A wider nib must help.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Here's mine:

fpn_1484291502__qotw_of_the_week_2.jpg

Not as flashy as last week: the oblique nib on the Parker 45 is smaller than that Snorkel stub (and has a small sweet spot even by 45 nib standards). Plus the ink (De Atramentis Albrecht Dürer) is not as lubricated or free flowing. So it did not take well to Uncial. And my Italic is so rusty as to be completely nonexistent without having a couple of weeks (and/or a good exemplar) to work from; my copy of Drogin is not, apparently, on the shelf I thought it was. My copy of Johnston is... somewhere... (and I keep mistaking a similar looking edition of Embroidery and Tapestry Weaving for it, going "AHA! -- Oh, no, wait.. that's Christie, not Johnston..." :headsmack:). So no fancy calligraphy, just my plain, ordinary "Trying to get back to cursive -- really!" handwriting....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For the third week, some humor:

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, "Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!"

-- Dave Barry

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Just got home in time to upload the practice work - no time to do a fair job this week. This is done with fountain pens - the larger lettering is done with Bung Box Kabayaki Hamanako Eel. I am not sure about the other ink - it came from a bag of samples with the labels covered in spilled ink.

fpn_1484455270__jan-8.jpg

- Salman