Qotw - 2017

smk

I am planning on doing at least one Calligraphic composition a week this year (and hopefully forever).

At first I thought about doing something on a monthly basis and put some more effort into it but I think I will end up leaving it to the last week anyway and then scramble to put something together. I think I will be able to find at least some time every week to do a composition and if not, at least I will just write it out in a Calligraphic hand. If not even that, I can at the very least write it out in plain handwriting.

I invite all of you to join me in this exercise (doesn't have to be Calligraphy - handwriting is just as welcome). The first person to post a picture will have the honour of picking a quote for the following week. (Lets try to keep the quotes general and not too political, religious etc.)

Here is my submission for this week:

And now we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been - Rainer Maria Rilke

This is the short-form of a longer quote from what I understand but I think will work nicely to kick things off.

I will be posting my entry after someone else posts the first one.

- Salman

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• bobje

• Sagarb

• caliken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a good opportunity to practice my penmanship and improve my handwriting. Maybe in conjunction with the Ink of the Week thread....

I'm in.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Nice Italic David. Which inks did you use for this?

- S.

Thank you, Salman, and Happy New Year!

The majuscule "A" was written in Franklin-Christoph "Urushi Red" ink in with a Franklin-Christoph music nib. The remainder of the text was written in Diamine Indigo ink in a Pelikan M800 with a custom-ground italic nib.

David

Thoughtful selection of an quotation from Rainer Maria Rilke, Salman. Countrydirt, I love your rendition and warm photograph. Beautiful roman A, David. We look forward to countrydirt's quote selection for next week. I just started on engrosser's script, and this looks like a great way to continue the work in 2017.

Tachikawa G nib with Moon Palace sumi ink

fpn_1483383583__rilke-new-year-2-jan-201

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Nice work ksm.

Here is my contribution. The paper turned out to be less than cooperative and was feathering quite a bit - so I wrote/drew quickly :-) This was the second piece of paper I tried as the first one was even worse. I think I need to line up a bunch of good paper for these QOTW's.

Paper - unknown card stock.

Ink - Winsor & Newton Calligraphy ink in Matt Black and Scarlet

Nibs - William Mitchell # 2-1/2, #4 and vintage Gillott's 404

fpn_1483733150__jan-1.jpg

Here's mine:

fpn_1483746048__qotw_of_the_week_1.jpg

Sorry for the size. Not entirely sure what the paper is, but it's very nice. This was a roughly 8-1/4" x 8" notepad that was swag from last fall's Pelikan Hub here in Pittsburgh, and labeled as specifically for the Hubs on the cover.

The color is a little off but I don't know how to correct it (Tolstoy is a touch more teal than it shows in the scan, but still definitely in the "blue" category).

Maybe one of these weeks I will be faster and be the first poster responding to this thread. I have a *great* quote, but I don't know what it's from (truthfully, it was written in a bathroom stall in my college library back in the late 1970s), but it always resonated. I've done online searches over the years but never had any results. For all I know, it was just someone's attempt at poetry....

Ah! Just now checked again. It's a variant on a George Carlin quote, of all things. Go figure. (Well, it took three years for someone to post the lyrics of one of my favorite songs... and I'm not sure it's 100% correct even then [mutters under her breath "Liner notes. Nobody thought to include liner notes?" Or was it one of those '60s things?] :roller1:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Elegant, dramatic work, Ruth!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Wow, you people are amazing. Here is the quote for this week (I hope we don't have to always be inspiring, serious or lofty)

"Good advice is something a man gives when he is too old to set a bad example." La Rochfoucald

I look forward to seeing more of your amazing work! Thanks for letting me play along.

Nice one Troy. I think we all expect a variety of quotes to work on :-)

I have changed the title of this thread to QOTW - 2017 so we can continue in one thread. It doesn't make sense to have 52 of these.

- Salman