The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A Very Dry Feed , Hero 9215

hero 9215 feed hero

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:33

I was not intending to get this pen, the Hero 9215, but seeing that if I got a couple I can get free shipping on my lot I put them into the shopping cart and well that's the history, so any way , with some free time on hand I take this pen out to have a try and I found something very particular about this particular pen or pen model. Admitting; I have only two samples, one black and one white but they show the same, a very dry feed. By dry I do not mean it had problem delivering ink, in fact its the reverse it deliver ink in very consistent and controlled manner , the pens had Hero's no.5 nib which is also on plenty other models but on this model the pen write and write fine but I've notice a distant difference in feel when writing and finally I got to find out that the feed like to, well, feed the ink in a fashion that it would suffice for laying down the words and nothing else so to speak, a straight forward smear test show the pen lay down the ink so thin that it shown almost no smear. And I've try several different inks ( Parker, J.Herbin, Sailor Jentle and Hero's own 23X ) and they all shown the same 

In fact its so thin that the FM width nib now write more like the F side instead. That said this pen write pretty smooth though. I was wondering if any of you encounter any another pen , Chinese or not, Hero or others, that behaves like this. 

Sponsored Content

#2 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:18

Did you give it a good flush to get rid of all the manufacturing oils before inking?

#3 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:27

Hi Mech,

My Hero 7032 was also dryer than dust when I first got it. I gave it a good flush and followed that up with flossing the tines with brass shim and some Goulet pen flush and nothing helped.

I had to go the nuclear route and hold the back of the nib with my index finger while gently splaying the tines on a steel rod. SBRE Brown has a good video on how to do it; I believe the idea originates from Da Book by Frank D., (which I have a copy of).

This proved to be the only sure-fire solution for me; it writes great now... as does one of my Kaigelu 316's that needed the same treatment. :)

- Anthony

PS: Here's a link:

Edited by ParkerDuofold, 01 January 2017 - 04:41.

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#4 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:19

done the pre inking flush, in fact I pulled the feed and nib from the sections and had them thoroughly cleaned, including the sections. Swapped in a schmidt nib and its still showing the same. So I am fairly sure its just the feed or the feed / section combo. I can see the feed being in fact quite wet with ink showing on the feed back hole. It still write dry though. interesting.

ParkerDuofold, might give the advice a try , for the while I would finish the ink inside the pen first and see if some writing improve the flow with some use. 

#5 Tefolium

Tefolium

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:36

It may be Lishui's Hero xxxx…… Mingxing 750 was the product which was recommanded in 1980s and early 1990s from Lishui Pen Factory / Hero Pen Factory Lishui Branc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hero 9215, feed, hero

Sponsored Content

|