• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• jar

• Shmurzik

• fly_us

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's good to know :) Onde day my strong will will break and I'll get Decapod. It's good to know it has potential to last years :)

I carried it in my pant pocket (in the pen kimono of course), bring it to working field, throw it up and down for few years and nothing seems affect it yet.

I carried it in my pant pocket (in the pen kimono of course), bring it to working field, throw it up and down for few years and nothing seems affect it yet.

How does the Urushi age with time? Can you share past and present photos?

I think i need years to start wearing or changing colors. It is a really tough material.

Here are the before photos, 2 years ago

post-122055-0-02446200-1484037974_thumb.jpg

And now, i only have the Kikyo Cigar with me today though.

post-122055-0-00288000-1484038309_thumb.jpg

Over time the tame in tamenuri, the upper coating becomes increasingly transparent allowing more of the undercoating, the nuri to show through. But it is really a slow process. But we are talking about decades not just years. The Tamenuri finish is like looking into a pool where the bottom is one color and the water another.

The change I was saying I might have in pictures is simply under different light.

My Website

Here are some photos of my Nakaya Long Cigar in Aka-Tamenuri. Had it for over a year - haven't noticed any changes yet (I do keep it in its kimono though when not writing). I would imagine that it takes a long time for the fading effect to be visible.

fpn_1484067618__nakaya_closed.jpg

fpn_1484067708__nakaya_uncapped.jpg

A beauty indeed.

Cannot agree more. In my case, I am also very happy with the nib. It is a double broad that was stubbed by John Mottishaw. Very rigid nib but suitable for this type of customization - writes like a dream on any paper with no pressure; very smooth while providing a fairly crisp horizontal line, particularly for a stub.

I would encourage you not to be put off by your experience with the elastic nib. Try some others if you have a chance. Nakaya uses the same nibs (apart from the scrollwork) as Platinum (they are after all basically the same company) so playing with various nibs on Century 3776 may be a good option if you cannot readily try out alternative Nakaya options. Good luck with the search!

Here are some photos of my Nakaya Long Cigar in Aka-Tamenuri. Had it for over a year - haven't noticed any changes yet (I do keep it in its kimono though when not writing). I would imagine that it takes a long time for the fading effect to be visible.

What an amazing pen! I was using an identical Mac when I saw your photo and I instinctively looked at my keyboard to check if the pen was there. Sadly, it wasn't. I hope you're happy with it.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

Cannot agree more. In my case, I am also very happy with the nib. It is a double broad that was stubbed by John Mottishaw. Very rigid nib but suitable for this type of customization - writes like a dream on any paper with no pressure; very smooth while providing a fairly crisp horizontal line, particularly for a stub.

Nakaya uses the same nibs (apart from the scrollwork) as Platinum

Is this a fact for their standard xxf-bb nibs?

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Is this a fact for their standard xxf-bb nibs?

Kinda. While the nibs themselves come from the same machines as all of the Platinum #3776 nibs, the Nakayas really are all hand made and so every single nibs then gets adjusted by Mr. Maruyama so the final product is quite different than those from Platinum.

My Website

Thanks, jar. That's what I expected. For some reason, the alleged nib similarity has been bandied about for several years.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Of course it is not exactly the same but it is another alternative to try out similar nibs (at least the sensation of the nib-to-paper will be close) that are readily available (and at a much more democratic price) in the absence of the possibility to try out Nakaya nibs prior to ordering and having to fork out big bucks for a nib that you may not be in love with.

@fly_us - actually I couldn't :) As I've mentionned in the review it's not my pen. Therefore I had litle to say in terms of nib choice :)

Neither the owner had anything to say, as it was bought second hand :) I also find the springiness of this nib a bit weird, but enjoyable.

It may be worth to have a look at my classifieds :)

That is one beautiful pen, don't worry about the fading, you won't see any pronounced fading for at least a decade as long as it isn't exposed to copious amounts of sunlight or kept in front of a window 24/7 XD.

I'm also betting that the nib is very springy hehe, kind of has its own kind of unique feel to it compared to most nibs eh? 😉

Edited by ItwasLuck

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib