The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Any Love For The Century 2

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2017 - 19:02

I've had a Cross II for over a decade. I've been using it a lot more recently as an EDC, having found that I like slimmer pens - and with it being summer - pockets get smaller.

My CII has the steel nib, and it is a nice, consistent writer - it's an unfussy pen. Although I am sorely tempeted to go for a C2 with an 18K nib.

Sponsored Content

#22 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2017 - 17:22

I just realized I have two that I've forgotten about. Clearly I'm not crazy about them. In fact I've never been blown away by a Cross fountain pen which disappoints me because it was Cross that got me into pen collecting as a whole with the Century Classic ballpoint. 

I found both my Century II fountains to have flow issues so I put them away. 

#23 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 19:14

My Cross Century developed flow issues. I gave it an overnight soak and used a wet ink in its last fill and that seems to have resolved it. It's working fine whatever ink I use on it now. I reckon some dried ink had blocked the feed. 

#24 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 19:38

My Cross Century developed flow issues. I gave it an overnight soak and used a wet ink in its last fill and that seems to have resolved it. It's working fine whatever ink I use on it now. I reckon some dried ink had blocked the feed. 

Maybe I'll give mine another shot after a soak down the road. I've already got too many pens inked right now since I carry three with me daily. I write with now so seldom that I've thought about just going back to my basic Century Classic ball point for whatever jotting I do, so most of my fountain pens are in semi permanent storage. 

Hopefully some of them will be worth something down the road as collectors items at the very least.

#25 CSSD

CSSD

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:35

Just today I got some love for the Century 2 .....

http://www.fountainp...-2-cobalt-blue/

#26 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:13

Still my go to slim pen.

#27 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:10

I have the original and pretend to like it because my wife bought it for me. However it is to thin and makes my hand ache. I do think it is good looking though.

#28 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:57

Ha ha, funny story. I rarely use mine for long writing sessions, a page at most. I find they make a great pocket pen.
Still love that the cap looks like a bullet.

#29 Brigantian

Brigantian

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2017 - 21:03

The first expensive pen I ever purchased was a Cross Century 2, in royal blue. It is a beautiful pen, though in retrospect I regret purchasing it, simply because it never stood out from any of my other pens to me.

However, it does have the most beautiful nib of any of my pens.

HPf1eZ0-2.jpg

#30 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2017 - 19:29

I think the biggest advantage of these pens is the price, because they can be had for quite a bit less than a parker sonnet or waterman expert but the quality and style is there, on ebay us you can find unused pens and sets for around 20 dollars, which is excelent. They`re not scarce either, plenty of stores sell them. 

can be compared with a Parker Sonnet, both are about the same size and both can be had in steel and gold nibs

Waterman Expert is slightly larger and heavier, Hemisphere would be a better comparison, but comes in only steel nibs

of these three I would opt for Cross CII,although i do not like thinner pens and Townsends are the ones for me of the Cross range 

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#31 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 982 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:42

Before the Cross Company Store closed in Lincoln, RI, I was able to pick up some more Century II's.  I found some with Italic Broad and Double Broad nibs!  I bought one of each tho at the price they were offering them, I'm kicking myself for not getting more to share with you guys.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Flexible Music Nib from any brand in any usable condition with or without a pen.

2. User Grade Parker Vacumatic in Red.

#32 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 16:41

I think Cross, in general, is underrated.

I adore my Mica Grey Century II.  It's the first FP that my husband gifted to me.  It's not only sentimental, but luckily, it's a reliable pen and great writer.

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

Looking for: surprise me!

#33 Donald2

Donald2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 19:58

I own 3 Cross Century II rollerball pens (2 black lacquer and 1 in all gold) and I love them. I use them all the time. However, I'm hoping to also start using my Metropolitans and Platinum Preppy fountain pens with all of the 24 Noodler's bulletproof/waterproof ink and Noodler's regular ink that I've invested in and recently purchased.

Edited by Donald2, 21 November 2017 - 20:01.

#34 highlander1307

highlander1307

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 20:15

I have two Century IIs. First is 14K Gold with medium nib that I sent in to repair a loose clip. Cross could not repair, returned, and sent me a Solid Silver Century II with a bold nib. Love them both.

#35 Dutchpen

Dutchpen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 19:13

I have a 14k gold filled (Irish made) Century 2 with a 18k M nib.
It is a great and reliable user. The quality is also very good. The gold plating holds very well and it writes smooth and very good.
The only downside of this pen is the clip. It is not possible to dismantle it to adjust the clip.

This pen has been in my rotation for quite some time now and I use it mostly for notes (it’s too slim for my hand for longer writing sessions).

#36 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 20:17

I've got one to hand myself. Nice smooth nib, very solid (as everybody else has said: the century 2 might even be more of a tank than the ATX), and aesthetically pleasing. Unless you can't handle a skinny pen, there's nothing not to like, imo.

#37 inotrym

inotrym

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 21:02

I have my eyes on the Century II for a very long time, but the lack of girth kind of puts me off.

The feature I like the most is the threaded converter. Why don't all manufacturers do that?

#38 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 19:41

The Century II is a nice pen, but just a bit on the fat side for me and a bit heavier than I like.

I prefer the original Century.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#39 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 16:08

Despite having larger than average hands I have never found slim pens a problem, I suspect muscle memory from using pencils, however I find a pen section without sufficient grip more of a culprit for hand fatigue. The century 2 seems to have enough grip for me.

Sponsored Content

|