The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Any Love For The Century 2

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 21:46

Evening all, does anyone else here have love for the humble century 2? I love mine but feel that fountain pen folk don't.

Sponsored Content

#2 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 22:00

We have people posting here who profess love for pens far cheaper than the Century II. And far more expensive. And around the same price level.

I like mine a lot. I like my Townsends, too, and my plain Century fountain pens. My one Century II writes as pleasantly as I want it to, and looks relatively good.

What I dislike about it is the way it came into my hands: I sent Cross a rather beaten-up Century that I did love, hoping they would repair its modest defects, and instead they sent me the Century II. If I'd had the mother wit to say on the repair request form that my Century had sentimental value, I'd have gotten it back. But I really thought Cross would repair instead of replacing. A lesson learned.

That said, I have a good pen, even if it's one I feel annoyed about.

I don't consider the Century II especially humble. The Botanica series isn't unpleasantly pretentious to my mind, but it is visually assertive. As are a number of other Century IIs.

#3 matteob

matteob

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2016 - 00:13

I like mine it has a nice chrome finish, it is a nice compact size and the nib is nice too if a little on the dry side (medium). Only thing I would have preferred is a screw on top.

Anyone know who makes the nibs on these? Are they in house?

#4 LWW

LWW

Half fast writer.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2016 - 00:34

I have a C2 FP and enjoy it very much.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

#5 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 00:34

Quite remarkable good fountain pen the Century ll. Btw I dont know why the Cross people hadnt figure out how to repair in minutes the wobble nib.

#6 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:29

I say humble I suppose because I find that quality out of the box to be right up there with the best, so for what it cost I think it's a bargain. Maybe I just got a good one, but it never dries out, never leaks and the nib wrote out of the box with no cleaning required.
I find it is the pen I grab whenever I leave the house, which I think speaks volumes for reliability.
Glad there is some love out there.

#7 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,431 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:12

Oh, there is definitely some love out there. At the beginning of the pen's run, and for some years thereafter, it had a common and vexing defect: the ribbed plastic sleeve over the section tended to come loose. You could still write with the pen, but it might feel uncomfortable to know that the sleeve was in no way attached to the underlying section.

Having heard that Cross had solved that problem, I sent in the nib unit and received one whose plastic sleeve has been firmly attached. There are some happy endings in this world.

On another subject, if I were asked to take a guess I would say the nibs were from Pilot. I had this from the manager of a pen department in a very good store. But time passes, things change, and Pilot may no longer be the right guess.

#8 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,086 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 14:42

For the reader, I was talking about the wobble nib in the Century l, I have both the Centuries l and ll and luckily they work flaweless.

#9 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2016 - 15:58

I only have one cross so far and have found quality high, I am tempted by the peerless at the moment.

#10 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:32

So I gave my wife a Ruby Red Century 2 with fine stainless steel nib about 8 years ago.  A nice, smooth, moderately wet, reliable writer.  I like the screw in converter.

She is a one fountain pen kind of gal, and does not want any other pen even though I offered to give her any of my more upscale fountain pens as I fell down the fountain pen rabbit hole over the years.  I have to say that Century II is one solid, reliable work horse of a pen.  She does not pamper the pen at all tossing it around like a BIC.  It is never cleaned, and some times it can go weeks or months in between use with the ink left in it (fountain pen abuse!!!) and it starts up immediately every time with a juicy consistent flow like it was just inked.  The finish, for all it's tossing around, looks like new still.  It's not a pen to be admired and pampered, but used reliably in the harshest environment.  

It will never let you down.  That is Cross.

fpn_1483425057__ruby_red_cross_century_2

Edited by max dog, 03 January 2017 - 06:33.

#11 welcmhm

welcmhm

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 20:48

My Century II was my first fountain pen.  My father gave it to me when I graduated college (almost 14 years ago).  I never liked the blue-black ink cartridges it came with or could get used to writing with it.  When I rediscovered fountain pens a couple years ago, I found it, cleaned it out, tuned the nib and got a converter for it.  I don't know if I'd call it a favorite since I find it a bit small for me, but it writes beautifully now and is always reliable.  It's usually inked and usually on my desk at work.

#12 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:44

i have one with a barleycorn design barrel/cap. the pen is quite handsome, but a bit uncomfortable to hold and the nib is blehhhh. i expected more, but for the price i got it ($45, matching pencil included) i don't complain much about it.

Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#13 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:00

I have the medalist with a medium nib, brilliant pen.
I would say it's not a pen for long writing sessions, but due to its slim nature it's ideal to slip in my jeans pocket. Love it.

#14 lovely

lovely

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2017 - 19:17

I say humble I suppose because I find that quality out of the box to be right up there with the best, so for what it cost I think it's a bargain. Maybe I just got a good one, but it never dries out, never leaks and the nib wrote out of the box with no cleaning required.
I find it is the pen I grab whenever I leave the house, which I think speaks volumes for reliability.
Glad there is some love out there.

It is not my pen to go around, as this is filled up by a Montblanc Classic.

This is or was a lot of years ago the bottom line of Montblanc; so not really an annoyance the pen getting use marks.

But we come here to comment Cross, and I do have one of this Century II.

No fuss, no nonsense, but talking of quality; it's perfect. Also visually pleasant thanks to 18k gold nib.

And does not skip a line. This is something my Montblanc 146 can not say.

#15 NosmoKing

NosmoKing

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 17:55

I've had a Century II for a year or so and it's been a wet, reliable writer with it's fine nib.

Just got a converter for it because the cartridges don't last me too long.

Now it's a decision of which ink to fill it with......

Edited by NosmoKing, 15 February 2017 - 17:56.

#16 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 19:47

I've had a Century II for a year or so and it's been a wet, reliable writer with it's fine nib.
Just got a converter for it because the cartridges don't last me too long.
Now it's a decision of which ink to fill it with......

#17 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 19:48

I too find the converter a great one, always a full fill.

#18 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 22:16

Both versions of the century are a bit underrated.  I am yet to try the second version, but i`m sure it`s similar to the first one. It`s on my list for a while.

I think the biggest advantage of these pens is the price, because they can be had for quite a bit less than a parker sonnet or waterman expert but the quality and style is there, on ebay us you can find unused pens and sets for around 20 dollars, which is excelent. They`re not scarce either, plenty of stores sell them. 

#19 FlippyThePen

FlippyThePen

Tensai

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2017 - 00:52

I like mine because of the beautiful chrome finish and the sentimental value behind it.

My grandfather found a Classic Century II FP that he had been gifted for a while back, and never got into using it.  He decided to give it to me because he knew I was interested in fountain pens.  Turns out the lustrous chrome version that he gave me was made in Ireland, and was more old (even the box was old!)  Unfortunately, the 23k plated nib is a little dry for my taste, but I still have to appreciate it.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth

-Albert Einstein

Cheers before jeers!

-FlippyThePen

#20 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 1,992 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2017 - 19:24

I love my Century II. It writes beautifully.

Sponsored Content

|