My latest ink samples from Diamine include one of their 150th Anniversary inks: Safari So that's the ink I'm reviewing today. It's what fountain pen inks users might describe as a 'murky green ink'. These 'murky green' coloured inks are becoming more and more popular, especially at this time of the year.
Diamine Safari is more green than Salamander, Noodler's VMail Burma Road Brown and Montblanc Racing Green, although it can occasionally look a little more brownish on some papers, depending on the nib used. It's a good performer in all of the pens and on all of the paper I tried it with. It's not deeply saturated but I saw lot's of shading and no noticeable sheen.
It felt quite wet in my Lamy NexxM with M nib. Both pens I used wrote straight away without any hard starts or skipping. The flow was very good, slightly wet, with my M nib and the lubrication also felt good along a line. The dry time on all of the papers I used was 18-20 secs, which some may consider is quite a long dry time. Once dry there was no smearing.
Although I forgot to do the water test before I scanned the main review sheet, this ink has great water resistance despite not being sold as a water resistant ink.
This is one of my favourites of the 150th Anniversary series. I like the murky yellowish green colour. In fact I prefer it to some similar inks in this colour range that usually just look either very dark brown or almost black.
- Although this ink isn't sold as a waterproof ink, it exhibits very good water resistance.
- Bearing in mind the review form paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used a Lamy M nib and a Lamy 1.1mm nib, this ink took 18-20 secs to dry from both nibs on each of the different papers I used. No smear after dry.
- It exhibited very good flow and good lubrication and I found it smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
- It is currently only available in 40ml bottles.
- Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
- It's a little more expensive than the standard series.
Some similar swatches
Cheap printing paper
Ink drop on paper towel
Box and bottle