Advice On Adding Water Resistance

antichresis

What inks do you add to mixes to fortify them against water?

Here I have two recent blends that incorporate Pilot Black and Pilot Blue since those inks are cheap where I live and offer a modicum of water resistance. I'm happy with both but I'm open to trying other components you have had success with. I generally like to add some resistance to all my blends even if I haven't gotten any paper wet (except with ink) since primary school because you never know.

post-129019-0-16147400-1482827000_thumb.jpg

post-129019-0-59059100-1482827130_thumb.jpg

post-129019-0-90918400-1482828512_thumb.jpg

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antichresis

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both of your Pilot inks exhibit excellent water resistance. The y leave many in their wake.

I add Noodler's Lexington Grey to anything I without water resistance and find it ensures at least some security against a complete wash out whilst only slightly affecting a dark ink's colour too much.

Noodler's Blue Ghost or Whiteness of the Whale is supposedly also excellent for making an ink "bulletproof" but I've never tried this. Perhaps search FPN for further info.

Good luck.

I believe that a drop or two of Scabiosa got into my bottle of Parker Quink, probably due to hasty refills on the go. It became fade proof and sweat proof. Plus if you burn the paper, you can see the writing on the burnt paper!

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get a hold of Noodler's Ghost Blue, you can radically improve the fade resistance and water resistance without sacrificing the color. Some people report that NGB may make your ink a little more dry.

If you can find the De Atramentis Dokument inks, they are excellent for mixing, and can make an ink water resistant to the extent that the Dok ink remains on the page even if the other ink washes off. The De A Dok inks will make your mix a wetter ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Both of your Pilot inks exhibit excellent water resistance. The y leave many in their wake.

I add Noodler's Lexington Grey to anything I without water resistance and find it ensures at least some security against a complete wash out whilst only slightly affecting a dark ink's colour too much.

Noodler's Blue Ghost or Whiteness of the Whale is supposedly also excellent for making an ink "bulletproof" but I've never tried this. Perhaps search FPN for further info.

Good luck.

If you can get a hold of Noodler's Ghost Blue, you can radically improve the fade resistance and water resistance without sacrificing the color. Some people report that NGB may make your ink a little more dry.

If you can find the De Atramentis Dokument inks, they are excellent for mixing, and can make an ink water resistant to the extent that the Dok ink remains on the page even if the other ink washes off. The De A Dok inks will make your mix a wetter ink.

I believe that a drop or two of Scabiosa got into my bottle of Parker Quink, probably due to hasty refills on the go. It became fade proof and sweat proof. Plus if you burn the paper, you can see the writing on the burnt paper!

These are all super-specific and helpful, thank you! I think all the mentioned inks are available at the local e-commerce site (except the special Noodler's). I'll look into it :)

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.