Twsbi Classic: Any Thoughts?

matteob

This looks like a nice pen and more in keeping with older traditional pens (I'm not too keen on see through pens). What is this pen like to use and is the JoWo nib any good?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matteob

• Erik Dalton

• Wayfarer

• Jamerelbe

I find these pens to be the most comfortable and nice writing of the TWISBI line. Fits nicely in your hand, and not too big for your pocket (like the rest of the line tends to be).

Both of mine leak. The section cracks and it's a mess. For that reason I just don't use them anymore.

I have every other TWISBI pen made, none with the leaking issues of these classics.

Hmmmm I'm not going to spend too much straight away then. I have ordered an Eco to see if I get on with a TWSBI. At £27 it won't be a disaster if it is no good. I was looking at the Noodlers pens too but am not keen on flexi nibs. If they did a piston with the standard fine from the Charlie I would have one.

Edited by matteob

You will like the eco, and any other TWISBI, they hold a ton of ink and the nibs write nice and smooth.

You know my experience with the classic, but all the other models have been great for me. ..good luck with your eco. Stop back here if you have any questions with it.

Early productions of the Classic had problems with leaking from around the clear ink window that were reported on a few forums and Youtube review channels.

Two years on I don't think I've heard any new reports, and it may or may not still be a problem - but the reputation sticks regardless...

Would not hurt to ask. I have since read that they have good customer care. You would have to send the pen to Taipei though. I would guess it is probably easier to replace than fix though with plastic as it is all injection moulded.

Early productions of the Classic had problems with leaking from around the clear ink window that were reported on a few forums and Youtube review channels.

Two years on I don't think I've heard any new reports, and it may or may not still be a problem - but the reputation sticks regardless...

Applying silicone grease solves the issue...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Had mine for almost a year. They are my favourite pens to use I think. Not saying much. I have a boatload of "beginner"/ affordable pens.

Pen diameter fits me. Nice weight. Smooth nib.

The negatives of the pen that I have: the section is really thin plastic. Seems like it can crack if I look at it funny. And the o-rings are so thin. Be careful shouldnyou disassemble the pen.

Hmmmm I'm not going to spend too much straight away then. I have ordered an Eco to see if I get on with a TWSBI. At £27 it won't be a disaster if it is no good. I was looking at the Noodlers pens too but am not keen on flexi nibs. If they did a piston with the standard fine from the Charlie I would have one.

Noodler's makes non-flex nibs for their pens, for $2-3 each or $5-8 for the art pack (which includes a flex nib and 2 non-flex).

In fact, both of the Ahab demonstrators I bought came with flex nibs installed and a bonus F/M non-flex. I love the Ahab grip and #6 nib, so I made one a non-flex to fill with blue/black for standard writing.

I carry my 580s and Eco everyday, but my Ahabs are also along for the ride.

Edited by Fit_to_Print

"Never be a spectator to unfairness or stupidity" (Christopher Hitchens)

I can vouch for TWSBI's good Customer Service, at least on Twitter. I've asked a couple questions -- one of them fairly detailed -- and they've got back to me with everything I needed in about 24 hours. :thumbup:

I am quite happy with the classic but it is the second one. On the first was the mentioned leak at the ink window. I send it back to my supplier for repair and received the new version without pay. This one is working great so far. The 1.1 jowo is great, quite smooth always works without problems.

They have announced some vey cool designs on facebook but from there it takes quite some time to get it on the shelves. I hope the new mycarta will come soon.

The Classic is a nice pen. I find the section a bit narrow and prefer the 580 size. I like that it is not a demonstrator and can be used without drawing too much attention.

I was on the fence about getting a Classic, especially seeing the reasonable price on Goulet. Unfortunately for me, being from Canada, viewing USD prices and seeing the shipping cost at the end would have set me back $85, and for a first pen and being a student, I decided to pass it up. It did look like my preffered pen as I love the subtle ink window and the Twsbi logo and the overall traditional look, however the "leaking" and "cracking" issues have made me fully back off from this one. I believe I will be looking into something else if this issue hasn't been fixed by the time I'm able to afford a step up from my incoming Pilot Metropolitan. I was also looking into Conklin as they have somewhat similar prices, and very decent looking pens that have been around for a while (and the fact that I can get one with a 1.1mm stub right off the bat takes the cake for me.) The cracked ice variant actually looks quite nice.

I had a black classic with a medium nib and I loved writing with it, not to mention the massive ink reservoir and the design of filling it from one of their ink bottles. The only problem, which TWSBI seems to be known for with all I've heard about them is the nib sections on their pens have a nasty little habit of cracking. I had sections crack three times on me. I've given up trying to get replacement sections from TWSBI despite how delicately I've tried to screw them on. The overall design of the nib section is very weak, in part (I'm guessing) because the walls of the actual section that the grip slides over may be too thin and there is a small gap of space between the walls of the grip and the section, so putting down any pressure when writing puts too much stress through it, the gap allows for too much space for the section to flex too far and crack. Perhaps if they had designed the grip and section as one piece it might be stronger. Maybe it can be ghetto-rigged by wrapping a piece of electrical tape or something around the section to help reinforce it and fill the gap but I don't know...

On the other side I never had any problems with the rest of the body/reservoir. The design is fantastic as far as that's concerned.

I love the Classic but I just can't recommend it to anyone with such a problem.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

I was on the fence about getting a Classic, especially seeing the reasonable price on Goulet. Unfortunately for me, being from Canada, viewing USD prices and seeing the shipping cost at the end would have set me back $85, and for a first pen and being a student, I decided to pass it up. It did look like my preffered pen as I love the subtle ink window and the Twsbi logo and the overall traditional look, however the "leaking" and "cracking" issues have made me fully back off from this one. I believe I will be looking into something else if this issue hasn't been fixed by the time I'm able to afford a step up from my incoming Pilot Metropolitan. I was also looking into Conklin as they have somewhat similar prices, and very decent looking pens that have been around for a while (and the fact that I can get one with a 1.1mm stub right off the bat takes the cake for me.) The cracked ice variant actually looks quite nice.

In Canada Wonderpens has the full twsbi line. The Classic is $68. With hst and shipping you are close to $85 CAD. If you are considering your first twsbi get the ECO. It is a great pen. I use it more than many other nice pens I have.

In Canada Wonderpens has the full twsbi line. The Classic is $68. With hst and shipping you are close to $85 CAD. If you are considering your first twsbi get the ECO. It is a great pen. I use it more than many other nice pens I have.

Thank you very much, unfortunately it comes to be about the same price as I would get it from Goulet... Yes, I've looked at the Eco, though I'm a unsure about demonstrators at this time. I'm still fascinated by the Classic, it's so nice looking... It's too bad about the cracks.

I'm still fascinated by the Classic, it's so nice looking... It's too bad about the cracks.

It is! it has the potential to be a fantastic pen if TWSBI could just get their act together on the section flaws... You might see if anyone in the forums otherwise knows about an alternative to the Classic. I'm still not deep enough in the FP world to know of any other piston fillers I could suggest. This might be something to look at too.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

I went with the Eco because I love TWSBI design but I have not got enough confidence in their plastic moulding quality judging by other comments here to buy one of their more expensive pens.A good alternative to the Classic would be a Platinum #3776 Century in Bourgogne or Chatre Blue bought at J-Subculture with their big discounts against western prices. Same sort of price as a Classic. Cartridge Converter not piston though.

The Eco is a terrific pen in design and writing performance and at its price not the end of the world if it starts to crack (and it looks like a lot do)

Edited by matteob