Extrafine 149S

alfredop

jsph,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Pilot.

Tommy

jmccarty3: well, i've definitely seen that the architect//hebrew/arabic is as a special option you can specify with mottishaw, masuyama, etc for just a few dollars more. it's a matter of grinding an oval, really, rather than symmetrically.

hearing about a 149 with an extra-fine nib that's actually closer to an extra-extra-fine makes my spine do that tingly thing. i wish i could find something like that. so far, not much in the way of bites from the wanted ad. it looks like it's more likely i would have to just pay separately to get it done as a custom job, if/when i find a good pen to start with.

tommym: part of your comments reminds me of pilot's PO "posting" nib, rigid and super fine.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jsph

• Tom Kellie

• alfredop

• max dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have modified myself the medium nib of a modern Dolcevita and of a Talentum, the resulting nibs are more on the F side (EF regrind are quite difficult), but I was able to give the Arabic character to this nib.

Alfredo

jmccarty3: well, i've definitely seen that the architect//hebrew/arabic is as a special option you can specify with mottishaw, masuyama, etc for just a few dollars more. it's a matter of grinding an oval, really, rather than symmetrically.

Exactly. An oval shape to the nib tip was always what I thought my original L'Etalon had. According to all the photos I've seen of a true Architect's nib, the grind is more triangular, as in this photo from nibs.com:

http://i.imgur.com/enkWCyB.jpg

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

jmccarty3: that tipping -- the underside -- is outrageous!

i think it's probably not surprising that looking at the top side of the nib, you would see a triangular shape to the tipping remain, as a basically circular blob of iridium is worked down to a point. the bigger point is what the tipping looks like underneath, which we're here seeing from the side (and it's ridiculous! holy smokes, imagine never seeing that before you buy the pen then you turn it over and it's got, like, a -- honestly, that looks like a _keel_ more than a fountain pen tip!), and my guess would be that if you fully turned the nib over, it wouldn't look like a triangle on the underside but probably more like an oval. probably.

alfredop: did you just grind in the sides of the tip? and did you do this just by hand, with some microabrasive?

tommym: my pleasure. i've thought about a POsting nib a lot, but i don't think i should buy a pen just to have that. i have a bunch of other relatively cheap pilot / misc pens with extra-fine nibs, and most are somewhere in the firm to sortof-soft range. probably the PO nib would be even finer, from all the reviews, which is good but some amount of line variation is handy for writing and note-taking, and the PO nib doesn't allow that at all. so, cost / benefit, etc.

and now to the big business at hand...

tom kellie: holy guacamole, dude. that writing sample with the mozart extra-fine.... you have one heck of a generous spirit, i can say that much. once again, so very very kind of you to just up and bust out a writing sample write in the middle of all the rest of us just gabbing and gabbing. a man of action. what a great pen and what a great nib. ... and a nice little story to go with it. ... BUT...

... BUT...

** YOU HAVE A 90th ANNIVERSARY BESPOKE EEF 149 AND THIS IS HOW YOU TELL ME?! **

DUDE! how are we having a conversation about anything else?! come on!! you've got to tell us all about this EEF -- pictures, writing samples, stories, the whole bespoke experience, etc....

( in the meantime, i'm going to do a search, see if maybe this nib and pen are already the subject of past posts. if not, dude, you've got to tell us / show us / make us drool / etc / etc.... )

~ jsph:

You've made my day.

I'm so glad that you like it.

Your very kind and enthusiastic comments have inspired me to make a few more images of the red gold 149 OBBB.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that images of nibs, pens and handwriting samples enhance understanding.

Thank you so much, my friend!

Tom K.

alfredop: did you just grind in the sides of the tip? and did you do this just by hand, with some microabrasive?

Mainly the side, but if the horizontal line is too large, then I also try to reduce it grinding a little bit the lower part.

What is really difficult is to obtain a good symmetry respect to the slit, and sometime this does not happen, but I do not care too much since I only grind nibs for myself, and I only look at how the nib write after my work.

Alfredo

Edited by alfredop

alfredo: i imagine, like you say, it's ok if the symmetry on either side of the slit isn't exactly perfect, the line would be about the same (and i've seen a few mb 149 nibs [and others] not even _cut_ symmetrically), and that it would be just a cosmetic thing. ... though maybe if it's a big enough difference you might feel it while writing in some unnameable it's-got-"character" way. feels to me like the trickier part would be doing the "lower part" as you say, to make the horizontal lines not too wide. either way, not something i would ever dare to do to a montblanc nib myself -- not that i've even succeeded yet in obtaining one! -- but neat to think what someone can do who's good with nibs. thanks for telling us about that.

tom k: _i_ made _your_ day?! ridiculous! days later, i'm still having flashbacks and fantasies -- while driving, brushing my teeth, washing dishes, making a sandwich -- of that mind-blowing custom 90th anniversary extra-extra-fine!

of all the vintage and custom 149 nibs i've seen (online, of course) that are true extra fines, i have never seen one that goes to such a... a... not just figurative fountain pen -speak "needle point" but an _actual_ needle point! really! look at that thing! it comes to an actual needle point! how do you not keep poking yourself, your paper, ... how do you not cause small explosions as it cuts oxygen pairs in half, just waving it through the air? it's dangerous!

is there a "panthera pardus" fan club -- or green-with-envy support group? sigh...

... and it writes! i mean, it looks like it elegantly, aristocratically slides down to a hypodermic tip, something you could use to tweeze out hairline glass slivers or do patch-clamp intracellular recordings, but it actually has a somehow functioning slit through it* and delivers -- apparently, as her worthy owner reports, without fail -- ink in that perfect flow. ridiculous.

[ * it's got to be related to zeno's paradox to ask how you can take something of no width whatsoever and cut it in half.... ]

i imagine the well-traveled saharan photographer and bonvivant adventurer may well carry an extra one, sterilized, in case some kind of anti-venom or anaesthetic needs to be administered in the field? ... or as a "subtle knife", to transport him across the continents in time for tea?

that nib is nutty!

i suppose i should be adding this to that original thread and not this, but my mind's all abuzz with nonsensical things. ... not least of all that, shamefully?, i've never liked the look of the 90th anniversary nib even half as much as the usual two- and three- tone 14 and 18 c/k nibs, but now... when it tapers down to the infinitesimal... i can't stop looking at her.

"her"?! i'm calling her "her"! i need help. sigh...

"'panthera pardus' forever!" they cry in the streets....

o my dog. you... you are going to...

sigh. well, thanks, tom, cuz pretty soon the nice men in their nice white coats are going to come and put me in their nice white van and take me to the nice padded white room in my nice white paper pajamas.

you're killing me here! -- and the close-up of that trailing-to-infinity razor-like nib?... provocatively pointing at "jsph"?! cool and unusual punishment. ;)

and not just poor me. "the asymptotic approach to the vanishing point..." -- a line that would make ray bradbury gasp with envy.

how do i carry on after this?

"i persisted in the faith that the time of cruel miracles had not passed."

Tom Kellie,

Perhaps I missed this in an earlier post, and it has been answered. What pen, nib, and ink did you use to write "The EEF point" in the third paragraph of your photo?

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Tom Kellie,

Perhaps I missed this in an earlier post, and it has been answered. What pen, nib, and ink did you use to write "The EEF point" in the third paragraph of your photo?

~ niksch:

Funny that you'd inquire about that exact place.

The pen ran out of ink in those words, thus the words “writes with...” were written after being re-inked.

The pen in all cases is the 149 Bespoke EEF inked with Montblanc Corn Poppy Red.

Thank you for asking. It's satisfying to share fountain pen writing samples with friends around the globe.

Tom K.

• 2 years later...

And old scan of my MB nibs

35421222531_d6658fc230_z.jpg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time