Montblanc Red Gold 149 Obbb

Tom Kellie

Thanks for the beautiful photos, Tom K. Enjoy those 149's.

http://www.ALuckyLifeBook.com

http://www.bobsoltys.com

An Easterner had a nervous breakdown. Wyoming, with its wide open spaces and healthy pursuits, was prescribed as a cure - Clive Sinclair (paraphr).

I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog. - Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• meiers

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1502870207__golden_horde.jpg

Golden Horde

~ I've been asked to identify the nibs, therefore these are the 149s in order from left to right:

1. 90th Anniversary EF

2. Yellow Gold OBBB

3. Yellow Gold BB

4. 90th Anniversary BB

5. Red Gold OBBB

6. Platinum OBBB

7. 90th Anniversary Bespoke EEF

8. Late 1980s M (My original Montblanc fountain pen)

~ I've been asked to identify the nibs, therefore these are the 149s in order from left to right:

1. 90th Anniversary EF

2. Yellow Gold OBBB

3. Yellow Gold BB

4. 90th Anniversary BB

5. Red Gold OBBB

6. Platinum OBBB

How do you keep track of which is which when they're capped?

How do you keep track of which is which when they're capped?

~ Mulrich:

That's an excellent question, as it's an issue which arises every week.

The most direct answer is that I lack any system for knowing which is which.

The caps are never mixed, as I'm extra-careful to never have two uncapped pens in the same place.

For photography, I go to considerable trouble to assure the original cap is matched with the original pen.

The Platinum 149 OBBB is like no other, so it's easy to identify.

The Yellow Gold 149 OBBB and the Red Gold 149 OBBB, as the Platinum 149 OBBB all have dedicated Montblanc pen cases of different styles, hence readily identifiable.

The Bespoke 90th Anniversary 149 EEF also has a dedicated Montblanc pen case.

As to the other four 149s, it's more problematic.

The Late 1980s M has ‘GERMANY’ engraved on the pen clip band, and is thus identifiable.

The Yellow Gold OBBB lacks ‘GERMANY’ and is the only other yellow gold 149 without a dedicated pen case.

The toughest to distinguish are the two 90th Anniversary 149s which lack dedicated pen cases.

The 90th Anniversary 149 EF and the 90th Anniversary 149 BB look identical, therefore it's necessary to uncap them to determine which is which.

In practice, there's no issue, as I enjoy handling the pens and don't mind at all having to dig around a bit to find any given pen that I'm seeking.

Thank you for asking. It's something about which I may need to reconsider.

Tom K.

Tom, since you have a love for paper, pens and drawing, might I suggest a small color doodle on paper could slip easily under the clip and provide quick visual differentiation plus maybe a smile or two. Should the need arise...

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Tom, since you have a love for paper, pens and drawing, might I suggest a small color doodle on paper could slip easily under the clip and provide quick visual differentiation plus maybe a smile or two. Should the need arise...

~ zaddick:

That's a terrific idea.

As I never post a 149 when writing, I wouldn't be distracted by such a marker.

Thank you for your astute analysis of my predilections and for a suggestion both thoughtful and practical.

Tom K.

Zaddick is this a method you use for your 149s?

No, just a suggestion since I see so many of Tom's doodles. I know people who use those mini price tags on string, but I don't use anything myself. All of my 149s are distinct enough to my eyes I can tell them apart without removing the cap. I also don't have as many as I used to so most of the survivors are each representative of a different time in the 149s history.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Do you too have issues distinguishing red gold and yellow gold..? Under certain light they look very similar.

No, just a suggestion since I see so many of Tom's doodles. I know people who use those mini price tags on string, but I don't use anything myself. All of my 149s are distinct enough to my eyes I can tell them apart without removing the cap. I also don't have as many as I used to so most of the survivors are each representative of a different time in the 149s history.

~ Reed_thoughts and zaddick:

Yellow Gold and Red Gold do sometimes look similar under certain artificial light sources.

In daylight, they're readily distinguishable. I've photographed 149s under natural light in hopes of showing the difference in hue between the two versions.

I lack zaddick's refined visual acuity. The 90th Anniversary 149 EF and the 90th Anniversary 149 BB look identical to my eyes with their caps on. Perhaps I need to look more closely.

It's flattering to have the decorative sketches described as doodles. I aspire to the carefree absent-minded creativity of doodles, but fall short in that sketches are often over-thought.

There's only a few 149s on my desk, so finding whichever one I want is a brief process. Handling them is a pleasure, therefore the few extra seconds it sometimes takes to find the right one is of no consequence.

Both of you keep the Montblanc Forum and this thread interesting. With your meaningful questions and answers grounded on substantial experience, you give so much.

Reading posts every day is an education for someone like me, without a deep background in fountain pens, let alone in vintage Montblancs or the plethora of contemporary models.

Writing and sketching — dare I claim doodling? — with Montblanc fountain pens is a daily pleasure, no matter which model or nib.

As much as I love using the OBBBs and other broad nibs, the EFs and the Bespoke EEF are also reliable writers for specialized tasks.

Although I seldom mention them, the two 144 Classiques I use — a Yellow Gold EF and a 90th Anniversary EF — are among my favorites.

They write very well in book and student research manuscript margins. The difference between Yellow Gold and Red Gold is such that they're readily distinguishable.

The two 3-42 Gs — a B and a BB — I use are worn in different ways such that I'm able to tell the difference between them without uncapping them.

On my desk among six Parker 51s are two Burgundy Aerometrics with gold-filled caps. The F nib has a longer clip than the M nib, which has a blue lozenge on its shorter clip.

The upshot of all the foregoing is that despite similarities, I'm able to distinguish all fountain pens I use on sight, save for the two 90th Anniversary 149s, EF and BB.

There's not a fountain pen on my desk which doesn't write well. The process of writing and sketching on fine paper with quality inks is soothing to me.

Students often ask which is my favorite.

Ha! What a question!

I have no favorites and no grail pens. I'm fortunate to use what suits me, with more than ample choice at hand.

With Happiness,

Tom K.

x

http://www.ALuckyLifeBook.com

http://www.bobsoltys.com

An Easterner had a nervous breakdown. Wyoming, with its wide open spaces and healthy pursuits, was prescribed as a cure - Clive Sinclair (paraphr).

I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog. - Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1. 90th Anniversary EF

2. Yellow Gold OBBB

3. Yellow Gold BB

4. 90th Anniversary BB

5. Red Gold OBBB

6. Platinum OBBB

How does the bespoke nib perform? Is it worth the price tag Montblanc put on it?

How does the bespoke nib perform? Is it worth the price tag Montblanc put on it?

~ freakman:

I've posted a full reply to you in the thread describing the Bespoke 149 EEF.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/310331-90th-anniversary-149-bespoke-eef-nib/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3905886

I'm glad that you inquired about it, as it's an exceptional nib, well worth acquiring.

Tom K.

Are the 14C nibs as "bouncy" or "soft" to the light touch as their modern counterparts?

~ Ghost Plane:

Funny you should ask.

Your timing is exquisite.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/326630-montblanc-fountain-pens-and-nib-flexibility/

Both 3-42 G nibs are bouncy, without much pressure needed to sense a change.

Tom K.

~ https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/265919-what-to-do-with-an-obbb-nib/

Somehow the thread above was never linked to this thread.

It's enjoyable to read the back-and-forth discussion about using an OBBB nib, as opposed to selling it or having it ground down to...say...a KEF architect's point.

TTAlex added appealing handwriting images with an OBBB nib.

Tom K.