• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• meiers

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, but if we're going to go back historically, much depended on the price and availability of paper. Broader nibs tend to go with greater availability of resources. In a time when lines were crossed and recrossed to save on exorbitant post and messenger fees, the need for thinner writing is a function of class and economics over legibility.

I remember using very thin and light paper to write long air-mail letters to my aunt in Germany. That was in the 1970s when phone calls cost me a dollar a minute, if I telephoned her before 6am.

Ah, but if we're going to go back historically, much depended on the price and availability of paper. Broader nibs tend to go with greater availability of resources. In a time when lines were crossed and recrossed to save on exorbitant post and messenger fees, the need for thinner writing is a function of class and economics over legibility.

Fascinating analysis.

http://www.ALuckyLifeBook.com

http://www.bobsoltys.com

An Easterner had a nervous breakdown. Wyoming, with its wide open spaces and healthy pursuits, was prescribed as a cure - Clive Sinclair (paraphr).

I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog. - Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

While it's true that paper used to be an expensive resource, I'm not sure it was the only reason why people wrote small. Who knows, they might have written as small even if they had had enough paper on hand. How do we know they wouldn't have?

Most people are natural finger writers. Shoulder writing is a difficult skill, which must be acquired through long exercise, while finger writing comes perfectly natural. And finger writing plus cursive script equals small writing. I don't think ball points are to blame for this. They just happened to fulfill a need that was already there.

My eldest daughter, who's now in fourth grade, has never used ball points. Only fountain pens and pencils. Her handwriting is tiny. As she was learning to write, she used specially lined notebooks, and she had to draw each individual letter nice and big, following the guidelines. But as soon as they dumped those notebooks in the second grade and moved on normal ones, she started to write much smaller. That's simply her natural size, which feels comfortable to her. She wasn't ruined by ballpoints.

Edited by Vlad Soare

That being said, I've just place an order for a 149 with an O3B nib. B)

I'm really curious as to how I'm going to get along with it. On one hand I'm afraid the extreme thickness might prove to be incompatible with cursive writing, but on the other hand Tom's writing samples seem to prove the opposite. They give me hope. We'll see...

Edited by Vlad Soare

I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised. Welcome to the Broad side. Prepare to enjoy qualities in your inks that you never knew they had.

Thank you. My small(ish) handwriting is all I'm worried about. But I don't think it's smaller than Tom's (unless the scale of his pictures is deceiving me), so I think I'll be fine. We'll see. I can hardly wait.

Thank you. My small(ish) handwriting is all I'm worried about. But I don't think it's smaller than Tom's (unless the scale of his pictures is deceiving me), so I think I'll be fine. We'll see. I can hardly wait.

Please share a few writing samples.

That being said, I've just place an order for a 149 with an O3B nib. B)

I'm really curious as to how I'm going to get along with it. On one hand I'm afraid the extreme thickness might prove to be incompatible with cursive writing, but on the other hand Tom's writing samples seem to prove the opposite. They give me hope. We'll see...

fpn_1498632662__vlad_soare.jpg

Thanks, Tom. These pictures are worth more than a thousand words. I feel more confident now.

Thank you Tom, that was most helpful... I've been wondering about that myself.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

What's the first one?

Edited by Vlad Soare

What's the first one?

fpn_1498986806__johann_strauss_donation_

Montblanc Johann Strauss Donation Pen M Nib