The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Review : Diamine Tchaikovsky (Music Collection)

diamine tchaikovsky music collection blue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2016 - 17:30

Ink Review : Diamine Tchaikovsky (Music Collection)

fpn_1482685462__diamine_-_tchaikovsky_-_

Pen : Lamy AL-star, M-nib

Paper : Rhodia N°16 notepad 80 gsm

fpn_1482685497__diamine_-_tchaikovsky_-_

Review

St.Petersburg, 1891
Well met stranger... my name is Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, and I'm here at our famous Blue Bridge looking for inspiration for a wonderful fantasy ballet called "the Nutcracker". This blue setting makes me think of a magical dance, playful blue roses... why not waltzing flowers ? Yes... that's it ! I see the music before me, a magical dance called "the Waltz of the Flowers".

In 2015 Diamine released the Music Collection, a set of 10 subdued ink colours named after well-known composers. In this review, we take a look at Tchaikovsky. After the above introduction, you're sure to remember that this is a wonderful blue ink.

fpn_1482685480__diamine_-_tchaikovsky_-_

Daimine Tchaikovsky is a wonderful true-blue ink that just looks good without being pretentious. The ink writes smoothly with good contrast in the finer nibs, making it perfectly usable in a business setting. But it's with the broader nibs that Tchaikovsky really opens up with some fantastic shading. I really like it... this ink is doing its best to entice me to move up a notch from my current comfort zone of F/M nibs to a broader M/B spectrum. The ink exhibits good flow and performs well on a wide variety of paper. And with the right kind of paper (like Tomoe River) and a wet nib, it produces a striking red sheen.

fpn_1482685511__diamine_-_tchaikovsky_-_

• Rhodia N°16 notepad 80 gsm - drying time ~15 seconds, no feathering, no show-through nor bleed-through.
  • Paperblanks journal paper - drying time 10-15 seconds, no feathering, no show-through and no bleed-through.
  • Generic notepad paper 70 gsm - drying time ~10 seconds, no feathering, no show-through nor bleed-through.
  • Moleskine journal - drying time ~5 seconds ! Just a hint of feathering, significant show-through and bleed-through. Nevertheless - looks great, just don't expect to be able to use both sides of the paper.
  • Tomoe River paper - drying time 15-20 seconds, no feathering, no show-through, no bleed-through. Really nice red sheen on this non-absorbent paper !
  • Original Crown Mill cotton paper - drying time 10-15 seconds, no feathering, no show-through nor bleed-through.

Impressive behaviour ! Even on the lower-quality paper. This is an ink you can use on the cheaper paper in the workplace. Unfortunately, Tchaikovsky has no water resistance to speak of. The blue colour quickly dissipates when the ink comes into contact with water. What remains on the paper is barely decipherable. A pity...

Conclusion

Diamine Tchaikovsky is a true-blue ink that is at home with all types of paper, even the lower quality ones. The ink works well with finer nibs, but is really meant for use in broader nibs where it exhibits a beautiful shading. And on the right kind of paper, the ink shows a striking red sheen. This is one of the better classic-looking inks of the Music Collection. If you're looking for the perfect true blue ink, this might be it, if you're willing to ignore the total lack of water resistance. A great ink form a great collection !

my overall score: A

fpn_1482685530__diamine_-_tchaikovsky_-_

fpn_1482685544__diamine_-_tchaikovsky_-_

fpn_1482685559__diamine_-_tchaikovsky_-_

fpn_1482685573__diamine_-_tchaikovsky_-_

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2016 - 17:43

It's decent ink.

#3 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:11

I liked this one the very first time I saw it, when Diamine sent samples for reviewing. Great colour and the red sheen is just something else.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:20

Thanks for your review.  :)

This is one of my all time favourite blue inks. :wub:

In some pens it darkens beautifully  :)

#5 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 18:27

In my opinion it's the best one in the Music Set.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine, tchaikovsky, music collection, blue

Sponsored Content

|