antichresis

The title is inspired by the new Blade Runner 2049 trailer and the question by The Grand Tour's passing exhibit of Enzo Ferrari's purple ink: Which current (modern?) inks intentionally replicate or simulate lost or discontinued inks?

This is an attempt to have a comprehensive list (like the Sailor ink thread) as the ones I'm aware of are mostly Noodler's inks and were brought up in an old thread here.

1. Noodler's Dark Matter - unknown ink from Los Alamos
  2. Sailor Bungbox Sapphire - Parker Penman Sapphire (there's a whole lot of literature of course on which inks replicate PPS, but this is the one that I remember was intentional and not circumstantial)
  3. Noodler's V-Mail series
  4. Noodler's Borealis Black - Aurora Black (which is still manufactured)
  5. Noodler's Boston Brahmin Black - replica
  6. Noodler's Ellis Island Blue-Black - early 1900s government-issue blue-black
  7. Noodler's Blue-Black - 1930s blue-black
  8. Noodler's Manhattan Blue - "the color of the deepest blue vintage 1931 NYC ink"
  9. Noodler's Antietam - "The Oldest Vintage Replica Ink"
  10. Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng
  11. Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia - whale sepia
  12. Noodler's Galileo Manuscript Brown
  13. Noodler's Legal Lapis
  14. Noodler's Baystate Blue
  15. Diamine Poppy Red - Montblanc Corn Poppy Red (which is still manufactured)

I might as well ask since we're on the topic of whether Rick Deckard is a replicant: being aware of government restrictions (and multi-government restrictions) as well as economical availability of ingredients being a large deterrent on companies using the same formula or recipe, does anyone have a guess as to which inks have retained their colour/shade the longest?

For example, Quink Blue-Black is a far cry from the old Quink Permanent Blue-Black with Solv-X (sorry, I like typing the long name out), which inks aren't like that?

edit: English

Edited by antichresis

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Uncial

• Barkingpig

• antichresis

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting into poppies, you might want to include De Atramentis' Poppy Red which is also older than MB's.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I believe Bung Box's "Tears of a Clown" was intended to be replicant of Parker Penman Ruby.

I can't remember which Bung Box Brown was supposed to be Mocha, but having bought 6 of them, I don't see a clear example of PP Mocha among mine.

When I was trying to match the unknown blue-black ink that flushed out of an Esterbrook, I ended up with a bottle of Diamine Denim (for the color) and a bottle of Noodler's Manhattan Blue (for the shading) and was told that NMB was trying to emulate the old Carter's Blue-Black ink from the 30s and 40s. Not sure if that's actually the case: someone sent me some of the Carter's Midnight Blue last year, only I can't tell whether or not it's been reconstituted. It's not bad as is, mind -- I have it in a Parker Vacumatic at the moment. It's just not the same color as Manhattan Blue.

The modern Sailor Jentle Four Seasons inks were supposed to be replicants for the discontinued ones. I never had Epinard, so I can't say about Tokiwa-Matsu. But I *do* have a bottle of Sky High, and a sample from a friend of Grenade. And I can say for sure that Souten and Oka-yama are NOT the same colors -- close, but not an absolute match.

I haven't tested every turquoise ink out there, but I would say that Diamine Turquoise is a reasonably close replicant match to the old Skrip Peacock.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."