• Freddy

• mhguda

• WaskiSquirrel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A colour very close to my heart.

As for the name...?

...Quezon.

TGC! I love blue-blacks too and have been looking for the one for me for some time now. I ended up mixing my own (this one), but I still enjoy the wide range of Blue-Blacks the market has to offer. The Monteverde Blue-Black (reformulated) is next on my list of inks to try. If only there was a local seller..

Thank you for the suggestion. The number of suggestions makes me wish I had the resources to start a small ink company (or even just commission a maker) and do a line of Persons of the Philippines inks (much like De Atramentis) but that is a far-off dream, for now.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Tornado

The roiling clouds that precede and accompany a tornado look like your blue.

Will you be selling it?

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

I'm looking for a nice name for a Blue-Black I have been mixing (I am utterly uncreative with names). Well-behaved and waterproof under my testing. Qualifiers for the name would probably be that it preferably isn't being used to name another ink (so Tanzanite is out) and no "blue" or "black" modifier.

If you think it looks like a commercially available ink please say so too. It looks pretty close to what I see on the paper. Thanks!

*Edit: The post on imgur is a teeny bit closer

Not sure if you have an idea for beginning a line or not, but thought an ink neither blue nor black could have The Witching Hour as a moniker. It does remind me of the color of night during the wee hours.

Of course then there's Moody Blues (or Moody Blue.) I don't know if it's useable due to copyright, but would be catchy.

Edited by eyesa

This is like a Quiotesque crusade to find an ideal blue-black. Is it for you or are you going to market it ? Are you just mixing BBs on the market now or actually making your own ink from scratch a la Organic Studios

​Personally it would take me a couple of lifetimes to try all the BBs at this moment. Just enjoy and use what's on the market now.

This is like a Quiotesque crusade to find an ideal blue-black. Is it for you or are you going to market it ? Are you just mixing BBs on the market now or actually making your own ink from scratch a la Organic Studios

​Personally it would take me a couple of lifetimes to try all the BBs at this moment. Just enjoy and use what's on the market now.

Tornado

The roiling clouds that precede and accompany a tornado look like your blue.

Will you be selling it?

Hi, no plans of selling it at this stage. I also don't think it's fair to sell the ink when I'm just mixing stuff available on the market. I'm not Organics Studio, KWZ, or Noodler's who are truly creative and resourceful.

This is from an overfilled vial and I would like to test it first across a range of pens (modern and vintage) and across a variety of papers first to check performance. I have a list of properties I want to be sure of too. I'd also want to see first if the colour profile and performance profile are reproducible with the formula/recipe I jotted down as this was done on the fly with eyedroppers with volumes based only on the indicator on the vial-pot. I'd also like to test if there's a tendency to clog pen, corrode nibs, and stain eyedroppers. I'm also waiting for the ink to develop sludge and whatnot, if it doesn't I'll try to post a final safe recipe.

The blend was driven largely from a desire to find "my blue-black". I've tried a bunch of them but not living in the USA/Europe/Japan means I've barely scratched the surface of the ink spectrum--even if we count mass-produced, non-exclusives. I understand that there's quite a variety of them and I do like some of them a lot. I'm just looking for something specific but even when I find it, I'll still be using the other blue-blacks I have and will continue to buy new ones that come by. I think this "quest" is similar to finding your "signature ink" which doesn't preclude you from loving other ones.

I think someone has already made the shade I want with the properties I want (water-resistant, good performance on cheap paper, and viable for a note-taking by a left-handed sidewriter aka me) since there are a lot of talented people in the pen world. This blend ticks all of those boxes but if I can find something affordable that is similar, that is honestly more convenient. I just haven't found it from the ones I've tried. Actually, I think this is close in shade to (scans of) Edelstein Tanzanite, a Kobe ink I can't remember the name of, and maybe KWZ regular Blue-Black actually (is it?) with slightly different saturation, but I haven't tried them yet.

I'm a (public) university student as well, so I guess there is some value in getting a similar ink to these three (if they are similar/identical) with the cost I put in to blend this. Where I'm from, the combined blend would be cheaper per ml than Lamy, Sheaffer, 4001, etc. (we don't have Waterman but it would be cheaper than that too if we used the $ value converted without shipping accounted for).

The ink is blended from commercially-available inks and not from component dyes/from scratch. I'm not sure if starting from scratch is viable in my country, but it is something I would like to do, especially since I've gotten a lot of nice ink names suggested here and it would be a waste not to use them. Would anyone know where to source the ingredients and how to start?*

*I don't have a chemistry background though so maybe the dream will stay a dream?

Edited by antichresis

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Sigwa

Manalto is spot-on ... sigwa

+2 Sigwa (excellent suggestion by Manalto!)

Sigwa is interesting but I fear it is too close to "Sagwa" or "Masagwa" which is a Filipino word that gets more common usage, and probably not a good bet if I want to market this commercially in the future if/when I figure things out. I will let you discover what it means ;)

Hour of the Wolf?

Not sure if you have an idea for beginning a line or not, but thought an ink neither blue nor black could have The Witching Hour as a moniker. It does remind me of the color of night during the wee hours.

Of course then there's Moody Blues (or Moody Blue.) I don't know if it's useable due to copyright, but would be catchy.

Thundercloud

Stormcloud

Night storm

Stormy Night (sounds more like a perfume or a tacky song, to me)

Witching Hour (play on MB Blue Hour)

Moonrise

..and now my ideas are starting to get dorky, so I'll give up. (It may be too late, you decide. :) )

I like "Witching Hour" and "Hour of the Wolf"! If it doesn't get used I might use it for an indigo blend.

If it's too close to Ink of Witch we'll just have to live with it, I guess, or use "Hour of the Wolf". :)

For your consideration.....Perhaps.....

Balut Blue

"The ink that will keep your pen clean and strong"

Fred

It definitely sounds..exotic :P

Hi there,

While it isn't Filipino in nature; how about Moonrock or Moondust (Blue)?

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck with it. :)

- Anthony